• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with bigger guys wearing a bolder pattern up top. But I think RRL has done better patterns in that cardigan, and I wonder if you would look better if you went up a size. That cardigan technically fits well, but maybe it would look better if it was looser.

This is the XXL so upsizing is not an option. I like the sweater but it is like having a big X at the fulcrum of my stomach. Normally I wouldn’t bother with sales but RRL sale is like a normal retail.

I do appreciate the feedback from everyone. The color scheme is great on this one.

-DL

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’m on a kaptain sunshine craze as of late and this coat came up: https://www.urban-research.jp/product/urban-research/outer/KS20SCO01-UF04/

I don’t really understand the concept of a long coat in the summer. Under what conditions would someone ever wear a long coat like this in the summer? Does anyone have anything like this?

I have a KS Traveler coat in a lighter fabric. You don't really wear it in the summer. More for spring evenings, spring showers, early spring, etc.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a KS Traveler coat in a lighter fabric. You don't really wear it in the summer. More for spring evenings, spring showers, early spring, etc.
I read your article on wool types.
That was good stuff...

gurakshun

Reaction score

thank you. Do you think it is as much of a “must have” as the wool traveler coat?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m on a kaptain sunshine craze as of late and this coat came up: https://www.urban-research.jp/product/urban-research/outer/KS20SCO01-UF04/

I don’t really understand the concept of a long coat in the summer. Under what conditions would someone ever wear a long coat like this in the summer? Does anyone have anything like this?

That is a winter coat here in the South. It all depends on where you summer. If you are in Norway or Hokkaido, there aere plenty of cool summer nights where a jacket is necessary.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thank you. Do you think it is as much of a “must have” as the wool traveler coat?

Mine is lighter weight wool, not cotton, but basically serves the same purpose, I think.

Don't know about "must have." Not sure anything is a must have. Just depends on what you want.

I'm glad to have two versions of the Traveler jacket though for different climates. I just really like the silhouette. Only thing is that, at least on the lighterweight wool version I have, the collar interlining has to be replaced so the collar stands up better.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@DavidLane - I like that cardigan on you (albeit, not with the shorts necessarily). I'd keep it. I think it will stretch out and get a bit slouchier with wear.

atoz12

Reaction score
Do you think that these boots can be worn casually, e.g. with dark blue/gray jeans and an OCBD shirt?

My idea is to have a pair of boots that I can wear both in the occasional formal situations with a suit and more frequently with everyday wear, because I am very limited by the baggage I can take with me (going to a UK university).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you think that these boots can be worn casually, e.g. with dark blue/gray jeans and an OCBD shirt?

My idea is to have a pair of boots that I can wear both in the occasional formal situations with a suit and more frequently with everyday wear, because I am very limited by the baggage I can take with me (going to a UK university).

I'm not getting a product page in your link. You can post a photo of the boots here (just drag and drop the image into the message field and it should automatically upload). That said, I don't think I've ever seen a pair of Meermin boots that can't be worn with jeans and an oxford shirt. I think they all work with that kind of outfit.

atoz12

Reaction score
I'm not getting a product page in your link. You can post a photo of the boots here (just drag and drop the image into the message field and it should automatically upload). That said, I don't think I've ever seen a pair of Meermin boots that can't be worn with jeans and an oxford shirt. I think they all work with that kind of outfit.

Apologies, here are a couple:

1594188246744.png
1594188268254.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

With blue jeans and an oxford shirt, I'd probably do a brown version of that boot (calf or suede). I think brown goes better in that kind of outfit, whereas those black boots have a semi-military vibe. Prob would wear those with black jeans or olive fatigues. Blue jeans + oxford shirt feels kind of preppy to me, and that generally means brown shoes

With grey jeans though, I'd do black boots.

atoz12

Reaction score
With blue jeans and an oxford shirt, I'd probably do a brown version of that boot (calf or suede). I think brown goes better in that kind of outfit, whereas those black boots have a semi-military vibe. Prob would wear those with black jeans or olive fatigues. Blue jeans + oxford shirt feels kind of preppy to me, and that generally means brown shoes

With grey jeans though, I'd do black boots.
Thanks for the suggestions. I think that I will go with the black boots as I don't really have many blues in my wardrobe and they will go better with my suit.

My main concern still, though, is if they will look too formal, especially for instance with shirts such as the below?
1594189790663.png

I guess that it will be best to pair those with my sneakers...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I think that I will go with the black boots as I don't really have many blues in my wardrobe and they will go better with my suit.

My main concern still, though, is if they will look too formal, especially for instance with shirts such as the below?
View attachment 1420196

I guess that it will be best to pair those with my sneakers...

Yea, I think black boots would be fine with that outfit.

Not sure I would wear those black boots with a suit though. But if you're going off to university, you may not wear a suit often enough for it to matter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads