• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a new pair of cheap black jeans. My go-to is Gustin or N&F because I’m confident in my sizing and the fit with them.

I stumbled on these:

$45 (plus shipping) for a Japanese selvedge made in the US? Is there something I’m missing here?

That seems like a good deal. How do these fit as I'll pick up a pair at that price? Japanese or TTS I'm a 35/36. American such as J-Crew/BB I'm a 34.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kapital Ringoman pants in gold

Yay/nay? Thoughts about the gold color? Also available in black (I already have the green version). However, black cargos seems to me to be just too aggressive for Kapital's style vibes.

Thanks guys for helping out.

View attachment 1414352

View attachment 1414353

View attachment 1414354

View attachment 1414355

Or maybe black is better after all!? Garment dyed, so should fade nicely into charcoal... But black cargos? ?

2786-KAPI_RNGO_BLK-2119_1024x1024.jpg
2787-KAPI_RNGO_BLK-2120_1024x1024.jpg

Attachments

• 2786-KAPI_RNGO_BLK-2119_1024x1024.jpg
    2786-KAPI_RNGO_BLK-2119_1024x1024.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 6

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@hoodog I like the gold better, it fits in with Kapital's vibe better. I wouldn't say black cargos are aggressive though.

Either way the cargos are pretty cool design wise. I'd kop

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a new pair of cheap black jeans. My go-to is Gustin or N&F because I’m confident in my sizing and the fit with them.

I stumbled on these:

$45 (plus shipping) for a Japanese selvedge made in the US? Is there something I’m missing here?

Well, I never bought anything from these guys before but I went ahead and bought those jeans ($45, what's the risk?), a treated cotton bomber jacket, and a couple pairs of shorts all for a little over a Benjamin with free shipping.

Last edited:

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I never bought anything from these guys before but I went ahead and bought those jeans ($45, what's the risk?), a treated cotton bomber jacket, and a couple pairs of shorts all for a little over a Benjamin with free shipping.

I’d they had a size chart I’d dive in. Did you go TTS on the jeans?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d they had a size chart I’d dive in. Did you go TTS on the jeans?

Yeah, I went with 36. If they don't work I can try to hot soak, take them in, or donate them. At $45 it is worth the risk and I have no black jeans.

gurakshun

Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you could only get one outerwear piece by Kaptain Sunshine?
Options;
Their traveler coat is much more readily available in the US (examples NMWA or Namu) than the duffle coat or the cold weather coat.

Tough call. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, but my takes:

Duffle coat: I'm sure KS probably makes a better one, but you can get a Gloverall Monty for cheaper if price is an issue. So I'll set this one aside.

Traveler coat: I like this for a cleaner, dressier look. It goes well with jeans or tailored trousers. IMO, it looks like a slightly cooler version of J. Crew (realize this is not the best description, but I like J. Crew). Feels like a very "normal" coat, but it looks great.

Cold Weather Coat: Much more workwear-y to me. I also mostly wear it when it's raining, whereas I'll wear the traveler whenever it's cold enough.

If I had to choose just one, I'd do the Traveler coat. But I don't think the others are bad choices.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would definitely get the Traveler Coat, but I would wait for a better color.

The duffle coat is fine, but many labels make duffle costs and the KS one looks pretty traditional.

I tried on the Cold Weather Coat and thought it was interesting, but ultimately passed since I did not think I would wear it that often.

gurakshun

Reaction score
Yeah the color situation is tough this year. Navy and Smoky Green aren’t really that exciting for me. The glenplaid preorders that NMWA had were interesting but I’m not a big glenplaid guy. I wish they could come back with the Walnut Orange color from FW 2017...

I do find it interesting that the KS duffle coat is priced so much higher than their traveler coat. Nearly $300-$400 dollars more depending on the source. I wonder why that is? Is it because the KS duffle coat is 70/30 wool cashmere versus the traveler?

Last edited:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really want the Traveler coat in Walnut Orange. My size sold out quickly on the affiliate vendor's website so I missed it. Have not seen a color since that I really want.

I don't have any insight into the KS duffle coat. Again, seems fine, but fairly traditional based on the photo.

norsefanboi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the DBF navy painters jacket, should I grab the matching trousers too?
Think this but navy:
1593661768047.png

it looks great on the model but I'm normally a casual streetwear+minimalist wearer, would I ever the 'suit' together?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, like Derek, I've got the KS Traveler and CWC.

Ultimately, these are two very different coats. For me, the Traveler is (ugh, I hate myself for saying it) a boardroom-to-the-bar-type jacket. I frequently wear it to work, and I often grab for it whenever the temperatures allow - except when it is raining. It is familiar enough that no one bats an eye, and different enough to make it truly unique. I've really considered adding a second, and buying one for my brother. The CWC, on the other hand, is truly one of a kind. The silhouette is really interesting, it has a bunch of cool details I sometimes forget about, it is lined in corduroy, and the fabric is really, really special. I just put it on, and once again I was floored by all the little details. KS is really great at getting the details just right, and the CWC has a bunch of details. However, it is kind of limited to casual wear and, surprisingly, is not all that warm (as a result of the size, however, you can wear a down expedition parka underneath of it). I have one, wouldn't sell it, but if it was added in another color way, wouldn't think about kopping a second.

As for the duffel, I'd be inclined to just get a Gloverall.

1593691243072.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads