• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still don't have a proper navy sport coat, though I don't "need" to wear one very often. I have a good navy suit, a nice lightweight brown sports coat, and a couple of whatever suits. Wonder if I'm better suited getting something more casual... like the cotton tonal navy seersucker from Doppiaa or something.

gurakshun

Reaction score
I've wanted those for the longest time. They're modeled after military issue boots, which you can find on eBay if you're patient enough and willing to wear someone else's stinky rubber boots (prob can be cleaned). But the KS ones look so good.

My quick thoughts:

1. Price is never going to be "worth it" compared to duck boots, IMO. Just because duck boots are so cheap and also still very good. But they'll be worth it if you like wearing the KS versions. That's the only reason why I wanted to get them. I just think they look cool. I'm sure the LL Bean boots will perform just as well for a fraction of the price.

2. I find a lot of my rain gear rarely gets used. I have a bunch of specialized rain shoes, but when it's seriously pouring ... I just stay in. I think it helps to be honest about whether you'll really wear these.

3. Nigel Cabourn did a really cool duck boot with Aigle. They were a Japan exclusive. I finally found a Japanese store that was willing to sell to me, but the boots were like $1,000 and sizing was confusing, so I never bought them. They are also basically LL Bean duck boots. But cooler, IMO

View attachment 1411734
Thank you for such a detailed response! Yes I agree the aesthetics of the boot is so good, just like nearly everything Kaptain Sunshine touches On the other hand, LL bean duck boots are not only typically cheaper but also resoleable, and I doubt these will last as long as a bean boot.

BTW, what US shoe size are you?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I still don't have a proper navy sport coat, though I don't "need" to wear one very often. I have a good navy suit, a nice lightweight brown sports coat, and a couple of whatever suits. Wonder if I'm better suited getting something more casual... like the cotton tonal navy seersucker from Doppiaa or something.

I mostly like navy sport coats for

1. Conservative environments that call for "nice" clothes, but not a suit. This could be business settings or Mother's Day brunch.

2. When I don't want to put any thought into what I'm wearing. Navy sport coat is a really easy outfit. They go with everything except blue trousers.

BTW, what US shoe size are you?

9D on the Brannock.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember sitting on a panel once at a conference. There were four of us on stage and all were wearing navy blazers (I think, literally, 3 of the 4 were Brooks Bros). The thing about this is, everyone has a navy sport coat, even (especially) people who don't know anything about style (that was definitely me at the time). I have come to the realization that I no longer have any interest in wearing that part of the business "uniform". Is it a complete no brainer, like @dieworkwear says? Of course, and that's definitely a positive. But if I didn't have a blue blazer already in my closet, there's no chance I would buy one now.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I remember sitting on a panel once at a conference. There were four of us on stage and all were wearing navy blazers (I think, literally, 3 of the 4 were Brooks Bros). The thing about this is, everyone has a navy sport coat, even (especially) people who don't know anything about style (that was definitely me at the time). I have come to the realization that I no longer have any interest in wearing that part of the business "uniform". Is it a complete no brainer, like @dieworkwear says? Of course, and that's definitely a positive. But if I didn't have a blue blazer already in my closet, there's no chance I would buy one now.

What would you wear instead in that setting?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you wear instead in that setting?

Medium/dark brown or Gray tweed
Medium Gray or blue with a subtle check or pattern
Probably nothing as bold as a gun check but it would depend on my mood I suppose.

Something like that. My situation described is one where nobody is wearing a tie, so it's just jackets and odd trousers, and 75% of the room is in a blue blazer, white or blue OCBD and grey or khaki trousers.

ETA - The other positive in my scenario for a blue blazer is that nobody is going to look at you strangely if you wear the same jacket for 5 straight days at a conference. It's harder to pull off with something less standard.

Last edited:

yunBW

Reaction score
This season of jacquemus menswear seems pretty cool. Debating between these 4 shirts and I’m thinking to purchase 2 shirts.

Attachments

• F453BC1D-7DE1-4F1D-9F66-E055D02B89DD.png
    F453BC1D-7DE1-4F1D-9F66-E055D02B89DD.png
    330.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 7B5DC34F-8170-4850-9E4F-3D4F04F74465.png
    7B5DC34F-8170-4850-9E4F-3D4F04F74465.png
    318.2 KB · Views: 46
  • CBA187E6-8576-4C17-8BE3-3F7D16AFDF8C.png
    CBA187E6-8576-4C17-8BE3-3F7D16AFDF8C.png
    460.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 850DA39C-D759-4192-99CF-8861715CED5E.png
    850DA39C-D759-4192-99CF-8861715CED5E.png
    370.4 KB · Views: 58

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kapital Ringoman pants in gold

Yay/nay? Thoughts about the gold color? Also available in black (I already have the green version). However, black cargos seems to me to be just too aggressive for Kapital's style vibes.

Thanks guys for helping out.

1593334439030.png

1593334448972.png

1593334515748.png

1593334540072.png

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was looking for a new pair of cheap black jeans. My go-to is Gustin or N&F because I’m confident in my sizing and the fit with them.

I stumbled on these:

$45 (plus shipping) for a Japanese selvedge made in the US? Is there something I’m missing here?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kapital Ringoman pants in gold

Yay/nay? Thoughts about the gold color? Also available in black (I already have the green version). However, black cargos seems to me to be just too aggressive for Kapital's style vibes.

Thanks guys for helping out.

View attachment 1414352

View attachment 1414353

View attachment 1414354

View attachment 1414355

Look cool, I like the back pockets a lot. They're much better rolled, I'd want them to fit more full if letting them fall and bunch like that

I was looking for a new pair of cheap black jeans. My go-to is Gustin or N&F because I’m confident in my sizing and the fit with them.

I stumbled on these:

$45 (plus shipping) for a Japanese selvedge made in the US? Is there something I’m missing here?

I think they're just on sale/discontinued and the code stacks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads