• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
I've always wanted to get an Iron Heart flannel. Just never pulled the trigger. I know people swear by their quality. I have some Pendleton and Filson flannels and they are great. Hard to believe Iron Heart can be that much better. Maybe I'll buy one this year to compare.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have never handled any iron heart flannels, but are they actually worth it over the vintage stuff? I buy a lot of made in US vintage flannels that look exactly like that except for 8 bucks instead of 200 plus.

I would choose the orange, but I always think iron heart shirts are too slim.

Assuming you mean the true vintage, heavyweight work shirt style flannels that Iron Heart is mimicking rather than regular lightweight flannels, where to you find them for $8?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you mean the true vintage, heavyweight work shirt style flannels that Iron Heart is mimicking rather than regular lightweight flannels, where to you find them for $8?
Gustin makes nice ones for much less, but you'd get it around Christmas time.
What's with the hand-tat model? Is hipster just now getting to Japan?

cbusguy

Reaction score

five brother, big mac, frostproof, k-mart are the easiest vintage heavyweight flannels to find. prl makes a similar flannel too. these are all just as nice as iron heart, but you can only get them for $8 at a thrift store.

i don't like the short and slim fit of the iron heart flannels. i'd recommend sizing up once or twice to get a better fit.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah I have a friend that's a picker and he finds these things at flea markets and garage sales, but I rarely see them outside of curated vintage shops and ebay, and they tend to be fairly expensive if they're in good condition.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm an avid thrifter in Chicago and rarely do they ever cost more than 10 dollars at my regular haunts. I also go to every thrift I can when I travel. They are super easy to find because there were so many companies making them. I find them often NWT too.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have a friend that's a picker and he finds these things at flea markets and garage sales, but I rarely see them outside of curated vintage shops and ebay, and they tend to be fairly expensive if they're in good condition.

I will say unless it's something rare or extremely unique, as far as flannels go, you should just thrift. Even casual thrifting in a small city will find you these type of flannels easy. Good example is one of my favorite big Mac flannels from the 60s I got in the middle of nowhere Missouri. New with tags.

I assume grandpa probably had two-three good flannels he rotated until he passed and this was the one grandma bought which he never wore and sat in an attic then went to the local charity shop. Or so that's how I attach meaning to it being so new.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Already thinking about winter clothes. Engineered Garments Coastline Parka from FW19.

View attachment 1395641 View attachment 1395643 View attachment 1395642

that thing looks great. I continue to be very happy about my EG barbour coat.

I want one of these Iron Heart western flannels... blue or red/orange?

pl2vbNW.jpg

ttjMmxb.jpg

I don’t particularly care for either of those colors/checks but I’m wearing an iron heart flannel rn and they are great. I found the sizing to be more forgiving than the measurements seemed like they would, particularly the small-looking shoulder measurements. Though the blue product shot there does look like he should size up.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want one of these Iron Heart western flannels... blue or red/orange?

pl2vbNW.jpg

ttjMmxb.jpg

I have the fall/winter version of that blue one. It's very nice. I didn't want such a slim fit like shown in these pics, so I sized up two sizes to XL. The western style is a pretty slim cut, compared to the IH work shirt.

Anyway, detailed measurements can easily be found on the IH website if you're unsure about sizing: https://www.ironheart.co.uk/tops/ihsh-247-ind.html

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Iron Heart actually sends you multiple sizes and lets you return the ones that don't fit, so that's nice at least, since I'm too lazy to go to the store

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iron Heart actually sends you multiple sizes and lets you return the ones that don't fit, so that's nice at least, since I'm too lazy to go to the store

But you have to keep at least one? ?

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the look of the fit on IH, though I’ve never seen one in person. Works for slim/athletic builds. FWIW, this is the one I’d get:

View attachment 1396129
Edit: just realized it isn’t a flannel.

I have the Indigo variant of this madras shirt from last year. Had to size up but it’s a great lightweight shirt.

As already mentioned, measure one of your own shirts and compare it to their fit charts. Their western uhf flannels fit slimmer than their uhf work shirt flannels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads