• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

NO MERCY

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I should get one of these:

Southwestern shirt 1

Southwestern shirt 2

Liking the look of them and they're on sale for a decent price. Other than Pendleton, I don't see this style of shirt anywhere else either.

Might just be me, but im not a fan of either of those shirts. I think you can get a similar flavor with stuff like this, just chase those sunset colors.

1590450321231.png

1590450492494.png

1590450779591.png

1590450822376.png

1590451097821.png

1590451263709.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally dont like the pattern on that first shirt. Second shirt has a better pattern, but I don't like the side entry pockets on the lower half of the shirt.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never handled any iron heart flannels, but are they actually worth it over the vintage stuff? I buy a lot of made in US vintage flannels that look exactly like that except for 8 bucks instead of 200 plus.

I would choose the orange, but I always think iron heart shirts are too slim.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably not, I had a Pendleton flannel a long time ago that was nicer than anything else haha. I'm actually intrigued, though, since that black looking part is actually indigo dye and will fade over time, which seems kinda cool

And yeah, I don't like how it fits those dudes, so plan on sizing up two sizes, actually - want to wear it a bit loose

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at those. I have zero clue how to size though (i.e., would I take an L or an XL). Sizing looks kind of wonky.

ecerratic

Reaction score
I've been looking at those. I have zero clue how to size though (i.e., would I take an L or an XL). Sizing looks kind of wonky.

Easiest way is to watch the how to measure video on IHUK website, compare with a shirt that fits you well, and you’re set. Giles and the team are ridiculously helpful when it comes to finding the right gear for you. Especially if you’re a first time customer / still trying to find out your sizing.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably not, I had a Pendleton flannel a long time ago that was nicer than anything else haha. I'm actually intrigued, though, since that black looking part is actually indigo dye and will fade over time, which seems kinda cool

Assuming you're still in Japan, it's worth looking up UES for really good value, high quality heavy-duty flannel shirts:
https://www.japaneseselvagejeans.com/index_en_usd_12-49.html - although the designs they have at any one time vary a lot, with ones similar to the buffalo-style Iron Heart ones sellng out very quickly.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love the look of the fit on IH, though I’ve never seen one in person. Works for slim/athletic builds. FWIW, this is the one I’d get:

789425CB-B468-401A-9303-BDA61DCE9A12.jpeg

Edit: just realized it isn’t a flannel.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads