• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Gus_McCrae

Reaction score
I’m looking at adding a second pair of chino’s for spring, summer, fall. The first pair, is the traditional beige/tan/khaki. I have been considering an olive pair.

In the below photo’s you’ll see a pair of olive J Crew chino’s my wife got me for X-mas that I have been using frequently on weekend and when working from home because they are amazingly comfortable. I don’t like the fit of them, and obviously the lining makes them too warm fort my purposes.

The reason I photographed them with this old blue blazzer is I have trouble pairing blue/green - and have a new blue SC coming for S/S/F that I want to optimize around.

Olive - thumbs up/down? If so favorite brand/model? I prefer options where the inseam doesn’t need to be hemmed.

If not olive what? And again brand/model recommendation?
7355D6CC-B92B-469C-A3B3-DC1094E3F6A1.jpeg

DCC916BD-EBDE-457E-925C-9A3628F8E02D.jpeg
F2F06A69-5A2B-4E79-986B-CB9390760D88.jpeg

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Toasty, I love that you're going outside of the comfort zone here, but...why those?
First one looks interesting. And yeah this is my interpretation of a "SW&D" suit. Just seems easy to style and throw on for layering.

I like the first one I posted more but the second seems to have the technical aspects that I think of when trying to buy quality garments. First one still looks nicer. I actually do not know of any jumpsuits available but @OccultaVexillum gave some nice suggestions.

Friend

Reaction score
First one looks interesting. And yeah this is my interpretation of a "SW&D" suit. Just seems easy to style and throw on for layering.

I like the first one I posted more but the second seems to have the technical aspects that I think of when trying to buy quality garments. First one still looks nicer. I actually do not know of any jumpsuits available but @OccultaVexillum gave some nice suggestions.

Checked out Rosen? Some really cool silhouettes in casual suits, high quality, and everything is MTO, so very customizable (including fabrics, if you ask). Strikes me as maybe the kind of vibe you're looking into. There's one jumpsuit too, but I like the styles with separates better, personally.

minervabluesuitfront_ikIu9_1440x.jpg

dsc07274_1920x.jpg

img_3395_46b68544-e4f2-4ae9-838b-6e305af9d96a_1920x.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’m looking at adding a second pair of chino’s for spring, summer, fall. The first pair, is the traditional beige/tan/khaki. I have been considering an olive pair.

In the below photo’s you’ll see a pair of olive J Crew chino’s my wife got me for X-mas that I have been using frequently on weekend and when working from home because they are amazingly comfortable. I don’t like the fit of them, and obviously the lining makes them too warm fort my purposes.

The reason I photographed them with this old blue blazzer is I have trouble pairing blue/green - and have a new blue SC coming for S/S/F that I want to optimize around.

Olive - thumbs up/down? If so favorite brand/model? I prefer options where the inseam doesn’t need to be hemmed.

If not olive what? And again brand/model recommendation?
View attachment 1367019
View attachment 1367020 View attachment 1367021

I think olive chinos are OK with a blue sport coat. If it matters to you, you could get a dressier looking pair. I think chinos can look a little dressier or more casual depending on their design and construction. Some have a cleaner looking edge, whereas the seam on very casual chinos tend to be puckered. Rota and The Armoury's chinos, for example, look very dressy. J Crew is more casual.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear is this what you’d mean by a littke dressier?

I get confused when not described as chinos!

Yes, the stitching is a little cleaner on the pair you just linked, which gives the pants a more tailored look. They're basically like dress trousers but in cotton.

I think very casual chinos can be nice as well in certain outfits. Just depends on the look you're going for.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Friend I believe her shop is closed? Otherwise, yes I was considering that jumpsuit too but it is all sold out.

Friend

Reaction score
@Friend I believe her shop is closed? Otherwise, yes I was considering that jumpsuit too but it is all sold out.

I seem to recall from an instagram story sometime in the past couple of weeks that production is delayed but carrying on. Not 100% sure now, though, so probably wouldn't hurt to ask. In terms of the jumpsuit being out of stock, I believe the way that stock works on her site is relative, and refers to that piece in a specific fabric. But if you want one and are interested in a different material, you can get in touch and she'll help you pick a different fabric to make it in.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was looking at this to double as a rain jacket and casual. Thoughts? Any other suggestions for similar price range, ~$300?

JK-19AU008_Indigo_main_1024x.jpg

Also looking for a technical jacket to wear in mild weather (50 - 75 Fahrenheit) for hiking, post workout, etc. that is more than just a super thin shell. Any recs? Thanks

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What is that jacket?

Jonas251

Reaction score
Snow peak indigo dyed jacket. They have matching shorts which are cool as ****.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20200405-110302_Chrome.jpg

Tricky rick

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads