• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never worry about stains. Brand story

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel the same about Asian symbols and imagery, most of it isn't offensive to me.

I'd generally agree with the rest of your post, but just on this bit: 'Asian' isn't equivalent to indigenous - and it was really was the indigenous aspect that I was really focusing on and I wasn't making some bigger argument about 'cultural appropriation' generally. For example, the equivalent in the Japanese context (just chosen because it's the bit of Asia I know best), would be with the use of Ainu or Ryukyu ('Okinawa') symbols and imagery - which I've noticed that Kapital does (I have no idea whether they have any 'permission' for this, probably not given the company's generally not giving a **** attitude, which is great in some circumstances and less so in others). Both peoples are generally barely acknowledged in Japan and certainly aren't respected or protected by the state, particularly the Ainu, who many people think are all dead and gone, and more than a few Japanese companies seem to think they can just plunder their heritage for whatever they want. That's what I don't like and I know that Ainu people here don't like it. I've got no problem with artisans and designers learning traditional styles by studying with indigenous peoples and having their blessing to continue working in this way with full acknolwedgment and credit. Personally (and if I had the talent and commercial success), I'd also want to profit share with the peoples from whom I learned a technique or style.

Gus_McCrae

Reaction score
I’m considering preordering the Valstar Clint. However:

1. I don’t love waiting until the fall, since I’d lose a season of wear.
2. I wouldn’t mind a lower price point considering I’ve stained/ruined suede in the past.

What do people think of this brooks brothers currently on sale as a substitute.

what are other good alternatives?
2436BD1F-3897-4F50-8809-C118A249728D.jpeg

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me but if I can’t get the thing I want I usually get something I want that’s completely different cause for me alternatives almost never satisfy and I end up looking in the mirror at the thing I bought and then looking at the thing I want in a picture knowing when I hang it up I won’t look at it again until I need to sell it.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes or @Gus_McCrae does not really want the jacket or need it but getting hyped up by others.
Seems like you had bad experience caring for suede, probably not the best impression to go off of when deciding on a new jacket.

I say hard pass. Save your money for something else.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I want a ball cap that fits at home with a suit as much as casual wear, think Drakes style direction. This is because some days my hair is just ****, and some days I head out after work instead of straight home. I like ball caps, they look at home on my head compared to other headwear. I can pickup something from Uniqlo or the likes but I am thinking something more distinguished. I really liked the Free & Easy caps, something like the below hats:

1582953966180.png

1582953974057.png

And then I saw some caps from Adsum:

1582954031514.png

1582954040260.png

Then, I saw some ball caps at O'Connels and got me excited. Navy? Black? Emerald?:

1582954102442.png

1582954223335.png

1582954244967.png

I have a boyish face, I think the caps although may look out of place in some outfits will sit perfectly on my head. If anything just trying to get a direction of where to take this. The whole point too is that its after work and days when I'm just in a frantic rush.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think ball cap and a suit works in a unique way if it's an extension of your personality. Knee jerk thoughts: caps in a suiting type material would be bad, suede would be good (thinking Patrick Ervell with the woven horsehair closure), printed words that aren't team names wander into ironic t-shirt territory.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol I legit love those Free & Easy hats, especially the Don't Trip one. But they not for me, seems like you need a wicked beard to wear an ironic hat like that.

I like worn hats from the thrift with random stuff on it. Had a Masters Golf Tournament hat I liked for a bit. On the hunt for something else now. Uniqlo hats are nice. I have the twill one in every color this season. I find them to fit my head / face best as they are sort of small for asian market (at least i think so)...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I want a ball cap that fits at home with a suit as much as casual wear, think Drakes style direction. This is because some days my hair is just ****, and some days I head out after work instead of straight home. I like ball caps, they look at home on my head compared to other headwear. I can pickup something from Uniqlo or the likes but I am thinking something more distinguished. I really liked the Free & Easy caps, something like the below hats:

View attachment 1346231

View attachment 1346232

And then I saw some caps from Adsum:

View attachment 1346233

View attachment 1346234

Then, I saw some ball caps at O'Connels and got me excited. Navy? Black? Emerald?:

View attachment 1346235

I have a boyish face, I think the caps although may look out of place in some outfits will sit perfectly on my head. If anything just trying to get a direction of where to take this. The whole point too is that its after work and days when I'm just in a frantic rush.

I personally wouldn't wear a ball cap with tailoring, but some guys pull it off well. George at BRIO sometimes wears it in that Loro Piana way (like, ths is the hat I have in my sportscar). There are also a ton of photos from the 1980s where celebs wore it to NYC social events, dinners, and film screenings. Some photos of Paul Simon:

something-so-right-about-paul-simon-L-CUm5K1.png

something-so-right-about-paul-simon-L-bH4pTh.png

something-so-right-about-paul-simon-L-uW0J6J.png

Sometimes things look right and sometimes they don't. I think you just have to try the combo and see if it looks right on you.

FWIW, I've been shopping for ballcaps and will prob do a list later of stuff I've found. Prob in a month or two.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think ball cap and a suit works in a unique way if it's an extension of your personality. Knee jerk thoughts: caps in a suiting type material would be bad, suede would be good (thinking Patrick Ervell with the woven horsehair closure), printed words that aren't team names wander into ironic t-shirt territory.

My answer was on the assumption that he had to wear a shirt and tie with the suit. In theory I agree with you but it would be much easier to come across as something else, call it what you will. Unless you work in a creative field and dress like say Johnny Depp, it'd be hard to pull it off.

Can you imagine someone working in Wall Street throwing on a baseball cap after work even if he ditches the tie? Newsboy caps and hats with full brims would work much better than a baseball cap.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is I could totally imagine a Wallstreet guy doing that. They're called finance bros for a reason.

Regardless you're right it's all about how it blends with your personality. I see it going two ways:
1. Type of guy who normally dresses very casually and only wears a suit because he absolutely has to.
2. Guy intentionally trying to do something eclectic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads