• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

HollyJoint

Reaction score
Having the polo logo is not something that bothers me, as long as the piece wears me well and has quality.
It is good to remember that I live in Europe, here we do not have access to as many varieties and other options as they have in America.
I really like prl and if the logo is not too big and discreet i don't care about it

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah when you wear the cool thrifted stuff. No one wants to see someone pay retail for a basic ass polo polo

So it’s not the logo itself, it’s a matter of cost:value?

I’m just curious, because I like PRL, and having grown up with it, the logo seems more invisible than other brands. If you’re just talking cost/value and so forth, the full retail for a lot of basic pieces is off, but I think that’s true for a lot of brands; but the MSRP is always at least 20% above actual price, and it always goes on sale.

As a fan of plaid shirts (don’t at me :( ) I find it odd how good the Polo colors/patterns are in relation to similar brands. That’s usually the time I’ll pay a bit more for a ‘basic ass’ shirt with a little pony on it — when it’s actually a cut above the rest.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looking for a pair of chelsea boots and a pair of side zips.

The brand im mainly looking at is Viberg, but if anyone has any other comparable options let me know. in the 500-800$ range.

I already have a pair of viberg service boots in a roughout brown suede, and a pair of light suede mckinlay sherwoods, and a pair of viberg derbys in black.

Side Zips:

side zip mole.PNG

side zip anise.jpg

Chelsea:

AAB8CVRh8hc1QNf18XODpg4xRClGRtnpPG9ulXTyYFTV54UDEuboP0EM4zvb1WVVmb4PmS_P2b6MFrLxPi2DHWsHMxW_WT...jpg
Chelsea_Mole_Janus_Calf_P_2_1050x718.jpg

Glase Deer
Chelsea_Black_Glace_Deer_P_2_1050x718.jpg

Calf
Chelsea-CF-Stead-Classic-Black-Calf-P-2_1050x718.jpg

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs of Viberg side zips and I am very happy with them.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are you looking for slicker or same aesthetics as viberg?

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looking for a pair of chelsea boots and a pair of side zips.

The brand im mainly looking at is Viberg, but if anyone has any other comparable options let me know. in the 500-800$ range.

I already have a pair of viberg service boots in a roughout brown suede, and a pair of light suede mckinlay sherwoods, and a pair of viberg derbys in black.

Side Zips:

View attachment 1340359
View attachment 1340360

Chelsea:

View attachment 1340361 View attachment 1340363
Glase Deer
View attachment 1340362
Calf
View attachment 1340364
i suggest looking at Saint Laurent Paris if you want something slightly more different than viberg. might be good to diversify from the same brand

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having the polo logo is not something that bothers me, as long as the piece wears me well and has quality.
It is good to remember that I live in Europe, here we do not have access to as many varieties and other options as they have in America.
I really like prl and if the logo is not too big and discreet i don't care about it
Yeah living in Europe all I see is Pyrex everywhere!

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the calf chelseas and the milkshake chelseas. I prefer chelseas over szips because of lazy and heretical reasons

DoctorDisco

Reaction score
Would be used as a beater and could be had at a bargain under 200USD.
Do not look as tacky in real life.

Attachments

• 41920408ps_14_f.jpg
    41920408ps_14_f.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 41920408ps_14_r.jpg
    41920408ps_14_r.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 70

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would be used as a beater

When it comes to leather or indeed any hard-wearing jacket or coat (waxed cotton etc.) (or for that matter boots or denim) - what does it even mean to call something a 'beater'? All of these things are meant to be able to take the hard knocks, that's the way these kinds of clothes develop character - and the better quality the thing is the more it will be able to take it. If what you really mean is just 'cheap', and you have (or want) some more expensive leather that you are going to baby and keep wrapped up in your closet and only wear when there's no chance of anything happening, then don't buy the cheap thing at all, just buy the quality thing and wear the crap out of it; take care of it, sure, but wear it as it's supposed to be worn.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they mean B team, second string, junior varsity, not ready for prime time.

(I still don’t know if any of those will translate into British)

DoctorDisco

Reaction score
Flyingmonkey: Thanks for the input, i agree on what your saying. But i guess i'm not that sentimental when it comes to clothes, but was when younger. I just wanted an opinion on the look of the jacket. I like the brand - John Varvatos - and thought it could be a possible diy dye project for the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads