Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Hey Chrono, how is your teaching related clothing transformation coming along? Im hoping to be accepted to a grad school (for a doctoral degree) position soon, and am starting to wonder how much of the weirder/vintage/"rugged" stuff Ill have to phase out at work...
    I'm still slowly moving it along. I've gotten some more button ups, those mjolk trousers, that brato jacket (that's a touch small) but i am still working on it. The thing is, i'm still in a college town with friends all in undergrad or grad school, so i need some younger type stuff to wear a good amount. Depending on where i am and what i'm doing for the fall, i might start changing stuff up a bit more drastically. Still a few directions i'm thinking of as far as new wardrobe for this kinda stuff. I love color and stuff, but sometimes i just feel like wearing black all the time. Good luck with the doctorate. It's quite the marathon and i hope you stay sane. I'm sure you can work in most of your clothes. Then again, i'm not sure of the culture around academics and clothing overseas. In the US, you'd be ok with most all of your stuff. I think i'll have a styleforum/sufu auction for my april 77 chinos when i probably sell them sometime this late summer [​IMG]

2. whacked

whacked Senior member

Good luck with the doctorate. It's quite the marathon and i hope you stay sane.

+1

There's a current discussion on humanities PhDs over at CE. Aside from the trademark CEespool snark and banter, there're also some very good insights on the subject from rach and the likes. Definitely showed me how thankless getting a PhD could be sometimes.

3. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

I think i'll have a styleforum/sufu auction for my april 77 chinos when i probably sell them sometime this late summer [​IMG]
    Chrono, those a77 chinos of yours are amazing. What size are they/would they fit me if I wear 29 APC NC's (I actually have 30's, but I should've sized down)? If so, can I have dibs on a pair?

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

if they don't fit you, I want them.

5. Jferg4350

Jferg4350 Senior member

6. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

no

as to the posters above. they fit like a slim 31.5 i'd say. Won't be till the summer sometime when i move if i think i won't be wearing skinnies as much.

7. davo10375

davo10375 Senior member

F&B boots... been looking for some black boots for a while and am liking the shape of these, heard mixed reports about quality of the leather though.

[​IMG]

Liking the side zip means more ways to wear shoes potentially... like the Ann D's from the thread more but out of price range

8. Mexicorn

Mexicorn Senior member

Short zip jacket
    [​IMG]

I've been looking for a cheap (<$50) simple black spring jacket and this looks perfect (since it'll be on sale in a few days). I have a gap car coat from the beginning of winter that has put up with some pretty heavy wear these past few months, so i'm hoping this will last a while. Is there anything better I can get in this price range in my size? (I have to go for the tall sizes in gap outerwear).

9. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Ok, retarded question... Anyone can comment on the quality of the H&amp;M Divided plain hoodies? I considered buying one in plum today, but changed my mind since I get the creeps from bad quality/disposable clothes. So, how do they hold up after washes and stuff? I know they are cheap, but I rather dont get one if I feel like throwing it away after a wash.

10. chrispy179

chrispy179 Senior member

Ok, retarded question... Anyone can comment on the quality of the H&M Divided plain hoodies? I considered buying one in plum today, but changed my mind since I get the creeps from bad quality/disposable clothes. So, how do they hold up after washes and stuff? I know they are cheap, but I rather dont get one if I feel like throwing it away after a wash.

They shrink a lot. quality is pretty poor. however theyre quite cheap so.

11. Robert

Robert Senior member

Short zip jacket
    [​IMG]

I've been looking for a cheap (<$50) simple black spring jacket and this looks perfect (since it'll be on sale in a few days). I have a gap car coat from the beginning of winter that has put up with some pretty heavy wear these past few months, so i'm hoping this will last a while. Is there anything better I can get in this price range in my size? (I have to go for the tall sizes in gap outerwear).

Seems decent enough for the price. This looks like Gap's version of the BR short zip, which I have and that actually was priced on sale for under 50 a while back. Probably not available any longer, but I would guess the BR quality is slightly better.

12. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

F&B boots... been looking for some black boots for a while and am liking the shape of these, heard mixed reports about quality of the leather though.

Yes, if the leather is decent quality.

Yes, I don't think you'll get better for the price.

13. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

14. Mexicorn

Mexicorn Senior member

Seems decent enough for the price. This looks like Gap's version of the BR short zip, which I have and that actually was priced on sale for under 50 a while back. Probably not available any longer, but I would guess the BR quality is slightly better.
    So I guess it's down to: Gap Short Zip for $55 with shipping. vs. BR Short Zip for $76 with shipping. You think the BR quality is better enough to be worth the ~50% markup? ...decisions decisions...

15. Johnathan

Johnathan Senior member

^Looks like a nice bag, but unless you already have one in brown/black/tan, I'd pass on the white, as it isn't particularly versatile.

Anyway, what do you guys think of this shirt? It's $175 now, but I might try to kop on sale at the Brooks friends & family sale this summer.
    [​IMG]

Only if you also have a bespoke foam red nose.