• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I may be wrong but I just don't see you wearing a moto as DLester suggested.

I see that he wants something longer, so I agree with you. Good luck MOK

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
MOK - I don't like either really. If you want to avoid an old man leather, look for one that is shorter in length though the body. I prefer shorter body/longer arms personally. Maybe a bomber but they are often baggy though the middle, creating a severe dad/old man look. Look for a slim fitting moto maybe.

Don't go cheap.

Leathers are tricky until you develop an eye for them tbh.

Thanks - Maybe it's the photos - neither look that long to me - just above the crotch. I'm worried anything shorter is going to emphasise the waistline (I'm down from 39 true waist 3 months ago, to 37 today, but realistically I can't see me getting much below 36 true size).

Do they look better in modelled photos, or am I just kidding myself?:

barbour-mlt0008-engineered-bedale-666254-142507.jpg

barbour-chelsea-leather-jacket-666266-130831.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THe bottom one is a clear no. If you're in love with the top one, go for it. I think a Panther has a bit more pizzaz in a similar spirit.

bradpitt.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
I see that he wants something longer, so I agree with you. Good luck MOK

Originally Posted by gdl203
THe bottom one is a clear no. If you're in love with the top one, go for it. I think a Panther has a bit more pizzaz in a similar spirit.

Originally Posted by lmaozedong
i like the first one mok. barbours suit you well

Thanks guys. I'll sleep on the first one but I'm quite tempted and it might be worth trying for the possible cost of postage if it doesn't work.

I tried on a couple of moto's and they didn't look right on me - they looked like an old man trying too hard to look youthful. It could just have those moto's (grotty Hugo Boss and Armani Jeans - hey Canterbury's not a style capital - All Saints is considered quality...).

Maybe something about 2" longer than the Panther but in a similar style. I've got the wax Barbour International and feel if that was about 2" longer with the belt about an 1" longer it would be perfect. More of a touring jacket I suppose?

I tried on the nylon Chelsea that the bottom one is based on and it looked good - more fitted than the leather one in the pictures, but in retrospect I think what works in quilted nylon might not work in leather, and the obvious thing is to pick up one of the nylon ones...

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sz.V will be too big, I'm a 50/52 and (V/)VI/VII in schneider

xM.

Reaction score
yea the only SS i own is a shirt, size 4, and i'm a 46.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
argggh. didnt think itll fit. for future ref, ss fits true to size, would you say?

theres a nice thom browne peacoat for under 400--biggest size left tho

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Is there anything you won't consider?

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snowmanxl
anybody think id fit in a 38 Stephan Schneider coat? how does ss run? im usually a 36/46 but im looking at this http://www.projectno8.com/category/198/creator/27/471
Originally Posted by sipang
The sz.V will be too big, I'm a 50/52 and (V/)VI/VII in schneider
I am going to throw you for an even bigger loop and say that if you're normally a 36/46 in tops/coats this would fit you especially since you're a bit more broad up top than I am and I wear the same size. I tried that on personally in store and the size V was the right fit. I don't see how this fits what your "aesthetic" is though. I've been eying this coat for a while myself, but I'm an MC guy by day, SW&D guy by night. Don't picture you with this type of outerwear. Would be an odd combination with drop crotch pants.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads