1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

On the other hand, I've felt jackets from the second brand and they were orgasmic. [​IMG]

answered your own question here

2. ramp

ramp Senior member

answered your own question here

I know, I'm just a little concerned about the sleeve length. And this would be the largest purchase I've ever made, so its kinda scary, you know? Although I feel like if it didn't fit, I'd have no problem selling it for the same price.

And yes, I'm refreshing this page every 30 seconds. [​IMG]

3. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

A lot of people say BS is decent for the price but you should feel bad and very, very dirty whenever you get compliments on it. Get the real one!

4. Lane

Lane Senior member

if all you care about is the look then do it.

5. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

Leather jacket guy, you could always email the retailer with your concerns if they won't let you return the jacket. Just ask about sleeve length, I'm sure they'd help you out. If you can make it work I would definitely recommend spending good money on a good leather.

I don't mind knockoffs so much (they don't really look the same, and they don't cut into the designer's target audience), but I do mind cheap leather jackets. Large expanses of leather look trashy unless it's high-quality leather. Don't be that one guy who always wear that dumb leather jacket because he can't tell how ugly it is.

6. ramp

ramp Senior member

A lot of people say BS is decent for the price but you should feel bad and very, very dirty whenever you get compliments on it.

[​IMG]

Leather jacket guy, you could always email the retailer with your concerns if they won't let you return the jacket. Just ask about sleeve length, I'm sure they'd help you out. If you can make it work I would definitely recommend spending good money on a good leather.

Email sent. I think if he replies with anything that even vaguely suggests they will be long enough, I'm gonna pull the trigger.

7. Lane

Lane Senior member

that pic made me laugh out loud

8. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Leather jacket guy, you could always email the retailer with your concerns if they won't let you return the jacket. Just ask about sleeve length, I'm sure they'd help you out. If you can make it work I would definitely recommend spending good money on a good leather. I don't mind knockoffs so much (they don't really look the same, and they don't cut into the designer's target audience), but I do mind cheap leather jackets. Large expanses of leather look trashy unless it's high-quality leather. Don't be that one guy who always wear that dumb leather jacket because he can't tell how ugly it is.
    Obviously this isn't true, since this guy is willing and able to pay for RO but is considering BS because it's cheaper.

9. ramp

ramp Senior member

Obviously this isn't true, since this guy is willing and able to pay for RO but is considering BS because it's cheaper.

Able...maybe. I live with my parents so my expenses are low, but I'm also trying to save money for the future. I have a good bit saved up, but RO even at used forum prices is out of my league. The non-BS jacket in question is going for much cheaper than that and I would say, given my small amount of first-hand experience with both brands, higher quality at the same time.

10. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

BS is about H&M quality... you're much, much better off getting used or discount RO even if it is more expensive.

11. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

I know, I'm just a little concerned about the sleeve length. And this would be the largest purchase I've ever made, so its kinda scary, you know? Although I feel like if it didn't fit, I'd have no problem selling it for the same price.

And yes, I'm refreshing this page every 30 seconds. [​IMG]

Judging by the photo that jacket is cute raglan sleeve as well so it depends on your shoulders and your build. the sleeves can fit longer or shorter depending on how jacked you are, bro.

12. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

He's one case; there was a TED talk about fashion and copyright law posted in RFT that talked about the phenomenon, but what it boils down to is that people who can afford RO wouldn't buy a knockoff to save money, and people who have to buy knockoffs to get "the look" can't afford RO. There are fringe cases obviously, but it's not a significant portion of the consumer base.

Or something.

13. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

In the TED talk it was just a quote of one designer wasn't it?

14. Lane

Lane Senior member

If i recall correctly, no

however, the TED video was talking about how different demographics want different things. Certain people are fine with consuming at fast-fashion stores, but others want the real thing. Not to mention the income differences.

15. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Tom Ford, which is kind of cheating because Tom Ford's prices are astronomical so of course someone habitually shopping at H&M is never going to want to drop for them. Many designers are closer to their "inspired" counterparts

Edit: to Magician: My real problem with BS is that the entire brand is about knocking off jackets, they do no real design work of themselves. I'd have a ton more respect if they even tweaked a few small details but they make mirror images which is pretty much a slap in the face for the designers who originated the designs

16. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

I agree with that view, but I still think you shouldn't buy Black Scissors. I'd say the best "cheap" option is All Saints.

17. DLester

DLester Senior member

Buying a cheap leather is such a catastrophically bad idea, especially when ToJ and B&S are options. Save up, buy less, eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a while, then get something nice. I bought a 6k guitar a few years ago just by avoiding random forgettable purchases for a while.

I'd say the best "cheap" option is All Saints.

are these actually okay? I have no experience.

He's one case; there was a TED talk about fashion and copyright law posted in RFT that talked about the phenomenon, but what it boils down to is that people who can afford RO wouldn't buy a knockoff to save money, and people who have to buy knockoffs to get "the look" can't afford RO. There are fringe cases obviously, but it's not a significant portion of the consumer base.

Or something.

that was a great talk. I plan to post the link the next time people start opining about copyright law again. [​IMG]

18. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Have you received your RO yet Dlester?

19. DLester

DLester Senior member

^ tomorrow . . . can't wait

20. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Cool. Post pics if you can.