• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to mention, both are Raf Simons, both were the same price ($450)

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually prefer the right more, but because it is a suit I would choose what you feel like you would wear more...

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone, appreciate it.. . still thinking
Originally Posted by hendrix
ugghh the one on the right is terrible. is it meant to be a 3-roll-2? maybe you just buttoned it wrong.
No clue! Suits are confusing!! But I don't think so because the chest bunches up. Looks better open, to me at least (excuse the jeans and BoO oxford)
r903l3.jpg

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
Thanks for the feedback everyone, appreciate it.. . still thinking

No clue! Suits are confusing!! But I don't think so because the chest bunches up. Looks better open, to me at least

(excuse the jeans and BoO oxford)

http://i47.tinypic.com/r903l3.jpg

hmmm, i would've said it's 3-roll-2, but that bunching does look weird when you do the middle button.

the other one is probably the better option.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
2-button suit for nn

*Tee*

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
Battle of the wrinkled Yoox suits.. left, right, or neither? Both need sleeves/pants fixed, and right looks like it needs to be taken in the chest, maybe? (those are wrinkles on the chest of both, not pinching) [urlhttp://i45.tinypic.com/25uipvd.jpg[/url]
The left one. And it's not even close. I can't believe this is seriously open to debate. This is a 10:0 hammering ! Not only because I prefer 2-button jackets to 3-button jackets generally, but because the 2-button suit goes a hundred times better with your physique... ( new pics - properly buttoned - taken into account )

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
NN don't like either but you don't have the physique to pull off a 3 button (and even people that do don't always look good, it's just a mostly outdated cut). Only time 3 button works is if you're a built Gman wearing wayfarers.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. My mom of all people liked the three button better (as much as she likes anything I wear..), so I decided to have a second look at it Steamed it in my shower for 15 mins, cuffed the sleeves, and actually think it looks better like this. Maybe I'll just return both and keep looking, though, hmm

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks a bit better but I still don't think 3 button is the right cut for you. Too much vertical emphasis making you look like a stick. 2 button works better for you, creates a stronger-looking upper half.

Basically, 3 button is making your upper body look like this: ||
2 button is making your upper body look more like this: V

Overall it's not going to be terribly noticeable to most people. Only to nerds like us.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
Looks a bit better but I still don't think 3 button is the right cut for you. Too much vertical emphasis making you look like a stick. 2 button works better for you, creates a stronger-looking upper half.

Basically, 3 button is making your upper body look like this: ||
2 button is making your upper body look more like this: V

Thanks, it's immediately obvious when you say that, and yeah, I agree. It's fun trying all this stuff on, ordered during free shipping, so I'm paying literally nothing, and it's more relaxing than going into a store.

Overall it's not going to be terribly noticeable to most people. Only to nerds like us.
Yeah, I showed it to my girlfriend, she thought it was the same suit, just buttoned differently
ffffuuuu.gif

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Look at Asobu's fits and tell me who else here is doing that. I dress pretty differently from Shoreman who dresses pretty differently from NicelyNice who differs significantly from Aeglus. The variety of taste on here has broadened quite a bit in the past year, if you ask me.
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
counterpoint: i managed to win a waywt contest
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Everyone who gets made fun of says that though. Asobu, jdmay, fumma, jskiss, willycheeseteak, bb1, snake, kunk, nn, kelvin, etc... all dress pretty different and many of them mix it up pretty drastically stylewise. People always try to use that stuff as an excuse though. It's definitely pretty silly to always use "well you're all the same and just don't like things that are different" ****
Originally Posted by snake
There's definitely a wide variety of tastes and aesthetics here compared to say, sufu or sz. And while there are general concepts that we all agree in, our own personal tastes usually differ. Nothing wrong with sharing ideas and opinions though, it generally helps me look at things from a diff perspective.
I can agree with all of this, but you see you've changed the argument though. Naturally, when you see a nice interesting fit come out of a variety of items, you can understand why certain different pieces were used, but the thing is we are talking about individual pieces here and as all the quotes I quoted suggest, these are not so easily accepted. I could definitely see some if not all of the pieces I quoted that were critisized, working in one way or another with certain aesthetics in a less than conventional way - such as by the creative WAYWT posters we see here. But none the less as we see they were critisized. Though I believe this is because it is hard to envision them working without having a prior knowledge of such items working in the past. It does make sense in a way, how could say a pink belt work in your everyday fit? Or what about some cordovan loafers? you'd almost have to be PG to pull off such loafers off in a streetwear way. But that is my point exactly, PG could pull them off and other members here could have worn that aforementioned pink belt with panache (Eason or Lisdt perhaps). Admittedly herein lies the problem that not everyone can dress like PG, but my point is simple. We shouldn't think the worst of people who try to wear particular, more eccentric items. To summarize, I agree that there is a lot of diversity in the fits here, but when it comes to individual items suggesting new aesthetics, people don't seem to be as open to new, different items like bright blue track jackets or even something a bit more acceptable such as thick vibram sole tricker-shoes (though some people did encourage these). Once again a good example of this might be barim's sunglasses in his most recent fit, as if someone with a similar aesthetic (unbeknownst to SF) had posted these here, I don't doubt they would have been ridiculed for wanting to buy such big, ostanteous sunglasses that these days you normally see on women. But despite any criticism these might have had, they obviously do work very well with barims' aesthetic. Again though, I must admit I have no real suggestion on what could be done to change this aside from the obvious of toning down the knee-jerk criticisms and encouraging out-of-the-box thinking. Sorry for the essay-long post, as usual.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads