Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Sorry, forgot to mention, both are Raf Simons, both were the same price ($450)

2. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

I actually prefer the right more, but because it is a suit I would choose what you feel like you would wear more...

3. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

ugghh the one on the right is terrible. is it meant to be a 3-roll-2? maybe you just buttoned it wrong.

either way the one on the left looks really good.

4. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Thanks for the feedback everyone, appreciate it.. . still thinking
    ugghh the one on the right is terrible. is it meant to be a 3-roll-2? maybe you just buttoned it wrong.
    No clue! Suits are confusing!! But I don't think so because the chest bunches up. Looks better open, to me at least (excuse the jeans and BoO oxford) [​IMG]

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

[​IMG]

Should I?

Hmm well make sure you're buying a size that you can slouch, those worn like most people wear dior would look awful.

6. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Thanks for the feedback everyone, appreciate it.. . still thinking

No clue! Suits are confusing!! But I don't think so because the chest bunches up. Looks better open, to me at least

(excuse the jeans and BoO oxford)

http://i47.tinypic.com/r903l3.jpg

hmmm, i would've said it's 3-roll-2, but that bunching does look weird when you do the middle button.

the other one is probably the better option.

7. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

2-button suit for nn

8. *Tee*

*Tee* Senior member

Battle of the wrinkled Yoox suits.. left, right, or neither? Both need sleeves/pants fixed, and right looks like it needs to be taken in the chest, maybe? (those are wrinkles on the chest of both, not pinching) [urlhttp://i45.tinypic.com/25uipvd.jpg[/url]
    The left one. And it's not even close. I can't believe this is seriously open to debate. This is a 10:0 hammering ! Not only because I prefer 2-button jackets to 3-button jackets generally, but because the 2-button suit goes a hundred times better with your physique... ( new pics - properly buttoned - taken into account )

9. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

NN don't like either but you don't have the physique to pull off a 3 button (and even people that do don't always look good, it's just a mostly outdated cut). Only time 3 button works is if you're a built Gman wearing wayfarers.

10. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

3 button hate is the product of current trends, it'll be back. In this case the 2b suits you better, no pun intended.

11. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Thanks for the responses. My mom of all people liked the three button better (as much as she likes anything I wear..), so I decided to have a second look at it Steamed it in my shower for 15 mins, cuffed the sleeves, and actually think it looks better like this. Maybe I'll just return both and keep looking, though, hmm [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Yeah it looks good as a 3/2. I dunno, if I had a suit that fit me like that I wouldn't return it.

13. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Looks a bit better but I still don't think 3 button is the right cut for you. Too much vertical emphasis making you look like a stick. 2 button works better for you, creates a stronger-looking upper half.

Basically, 3 button is making your upper body look like this: ||
    2 button is making your upper body look more like this: V

Overall it's not going to be terribly noticeable to most people. Only to nerds like us.

14. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Looks a bit better but I still don't think 3 button is the right cut for you. Too much vertical emphasis making you look like a stick. 2 button works better for you, creates a stronger-looking upper half.

Basically, 3 button is making your upper body look like this: ||
    2 button is making your upper body look more like this: V

Thanks, it's immediately obvious when you say that, and yeah, I agree. It's fun trying all this stuff on, ordered during free shipping, so I'm paying literally nothing, and it's more relaxing than going into a store.

Yeah, I showed it to my girlfriend, she thought it was the same suit, just buttoned differently [​IMG]

15. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

Look at Asobu's fits and tell me who else here is doing that. I dress pretty differently from Shoreman who dresses pretty differently from NicelyNice who differs significantly from Aeglus. The variety of taste on here has broadened quite a bit in the past year, if you ask me.
    counterpoint: i managed to win a waywt contest
    Everyone who gets made fun of says that though. Asobu, jdmay, fumma, jskiss, willycheeseteak, bb1, snake, kunk, nn, kelvin, etc... all dress pretty different and many of them mix it up pretty drastically stylewise. People always try to use that stuff as an excuse though. It's definitely pretty silly to always use "well you're all the same and just don't like things that are different" shit
    There's definitely a wide variety of tastes and aesthetics here compared to say, sufu or sz. And while there are general concepts that we all agree in, our own personal tastes usually differ. Nothing wrong with sharing ideas and opinions though, it generally helps me look at things from a diff perspective.
    I can agree with all of this, but you see you've changed the argument though. Naturally, when you see a nice interesting fit come out of a variety of items, you can understand why certain different pieces were used, but the thing is we are talking about individual pieces here and as all the quotes I quoted suggest, these are not so easily accepted. I could definitely see some if not all of the pieces I quoted that were critisized, working in one way or another with certain aesthetics in a less than conventional way - such as by the creative WAYWT posters we see here. But none the less as we see they were critisized. Though I believe this is because it is hard to envision them working without having a prior knowledge of such items working in the past. It does make sense in a way, how could say a pink belt work in your everyday fit? Or what about some cordovan loafers? you'd almost have to be PG to pull off such loafers off in a streetwear way. But that is my point exactly, PG could pull them off and other members here could have worn that aforementioned pink belt with panache (Eason or Lisdt perhaps). Admittedly herein lies the problem that not everyone can dress like PG, but my point is simple. We shouldn't think the worst of people who try to wear particular, more eccentric items. To summarize, I agree that there is a lot of diversity in the fits here, but when it comes to individual items suggesting new aesthetics, people don't seem to be as open to new, different items like bright blue track jackets or even something a bit more acceptable such as thick vibram sole tricker-shoes (though some people did encourage these). Once again a good example of this might be barim's sunglasses in his most recent fit, as if someone with a similar aesthetic (unbeknownst to SF) had posted these here, I don't doubt they would have been ridiculed for wanting to buy such big, ostanteous sunglasses that these days you normally see on women. But despite any criticism these might have had, they obviously do work very well with barims' aesthetic. Again though, I must admit I have no real suggestion on what could be done to change this aside from the obvious of toning down the knee-jerk criticisms and encouraging out-of-the-box thinking. Sorry for the essay-long post, as usual.