• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think my criticism deserved to be quoted alongside that explanation.
This is after all the should or shouldn't I buy thread, and I shared my opinion, don't possibly see how that could be "toned down." I get what you're saying though.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
You know I look back on all these items that aren't necessarily good or bad in their own right and I see all these negative comments and I wonder whether this thread even helps the community. Clearly there are people of varying tastes on this forum and so not everyone is going to approve of every item posted here. But there's so much criticism here that I sometimes wonder if it's just the same people with conservative streetwear ideals playing the same tune over and over again. I don't think this is good for the forum as far as people's style are concerned, and I think it could very well contribute to the whole 'WAYWT is boring' idea. I think it's ironic that the same forum that complains about people not posting interesting fits would berrate people when they post any unique item. I guess this is more of a rant than a suggestion for change because I really can't see a clear way to stop certain people critisizing certain items, but it would be nice if the criticism was toned down a notch or accompanied with some form of reasoning, and it wouldn't hurt if people who do like the pieces that are more subjective in appeal would speak up and give confidence to people's shopping habits when it comes to something qwerky and interesting. Oh and lastly, fashion isn't deductive so the idea that removing all the items that people dislike will lead to only good stuff doesn't work, all that does is create universally accepted items a la the SF uniform.
I realized this a while ago. I think I've had a pretty good sense of style long before I found this place, and I don't think that will change. I don't think the value in this place is using the "expertise" here to cultivate a look- I would say it's more to get insight and leads on items that already fit a look you've created. There's definitely a stock look and a standards council here, so if your style deviates at all from that it will face ridicule. Like I said in another thread I think people take this fashion stuff too seriously.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^i love these types of responses

acl1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
I realized this a while ago. I think I've had a pretty good sense of style long before I found this place, and I don't think that will change. I don't think the value in this place is using the "expertise" here to cultivate a look- I would say it's more to get insight and leads on items that already fit a look you've created. There's definitely a stock look and a standards council here, so if your style deviates at all from that it will face ridicule. Like I said in another thread I think people take this fashion stuff too seriously.

lol then gtfo out of this thread, if you don't get the feedback or read the type of feedback you want to receive/see.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acl1
lol then gtfo out of this thread, if you don't get the feedback or read the type of feedback you want to receive/see.
It's good to get differing opinions; just seems like the opinions here are one collective one.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Look at Asobu's fits and tell me who else here is doing that. I dress pretty differently from Shoreman who dresses pretty differently from NicelyNice who differs significantly from Aeglus. The variety of taste on here has broadened quite a bit in the past year, if you ask me.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Everyone who gets made fun of says that though. Asobu, jdmay, fumma, jskiss, willycheeseteak, bb1, snake, kunk, nn, kelvin, etc... all dress pretty different and many of them mix it up pretty drastically stylewise. People always try to use that stuff as an excuse though. It's definitely pretty silly to always use "well you're all the same and just don't like things that are different" ****

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
If you want to see conveyor belt clones just look in the jcrew thread otherwise chrono is on point and expanded on my post earlier.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's definitely a wide variety of tastes and aesthetics here compared to say, sufu or sz. And while there are general concepts that we all agree in, our own personal tastes usually differ. Nothing wrong with sharing ideas and opinions though, it generally helps me look at things from a diff perspective.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Battle of the wrinkled Yoox suits.. left, right, or neither? Both need sleeves/pants fixed, and right looks like it needs to be taken in the chest, maybe? (those are wrinkles on the chest of both, not pinching)
25uipvd.jpg

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd go with the first, I was never a big fan of 3-buttons suits. I also do not like the pocket style of the second one.

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the right, what brand?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads