• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Can't find them.
confused.gif

braindrain
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=165367

I like'em but would probably wear'em only a handful of times before storing or selling them off.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
I'm curious what you'd wear with them. I've always been curious about red jeans/pants, but I've never bitten the bullet in getting a pair because I'm afraid I won't pull them off.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PiperInAlberta
I graduated from university and can't afford Canada Goose.

I know a few mechanics pulling in $80 000 right out of college at 20-21 years old, whereas my university friends are living at home....working at a Frito Lay packing plant....still working at a bar....

Wait until you hit the real world, an undergrad degree doesn't mean **** these days. I'd start saving instead of blowing your cash on designer clothes (unless, as I suspect, daddy is paying the bills for blowies whenever you come home to visit).

This is true. A mate of mine is a truck driver earning 90K (NZD). Probably about 60K US, but 90K here is pretty damn high.

The only people who get paid well straight out of uni here are engineers, and even then it's not that great. Doctors do well but they have a fuckoff student loan and work ridiculous hours. Nurses earn **** all even though there's not enough of them.

A science or arts degree is pretty much a joke until you've got your masters. E.g. Kent Money and his neuroscience degree. It'll get you a job being someone's lab ***** or running the management side of things, basically a skilled labourer. he's not complaining either, that's what you get until you have experience or have postgrad.

At least that's as far as i know.

racknac

Reaction score
I graduated from university and can't afford Canada Goose.

I know a few mechanics pulling in $80 000 right out of college at 20-21 years old, whereas my university friends are living at home....working at a Frito Lay packing plant....still working at a bar....

Wait until you hit the real world, an undergrad degree doesn't mean **** these days. I'd start saving instead of blowing your cash on designer clothes (unless, as I suspect, daddy is paying the bills for blowies whenever you come home to visit).

You know what though? I think its more about what you did in your life up to the point of getting into that top university that will indicate whether or not you will be successful. If you were a lazy dumb student in high school, chances are you are going to be a lazy dumb person at work. If you worked your ass off in high school and made it into a top university chances are you going to be successful because of that work ethic. I will be the first to admit, that a lot of it has to do with the opportunity to be successful... and I am a firm believer that you create better opportunities for yourself going to a top university.

I just turned 27 and am pulling around $130k USD a year. I went to a pretty famous university (not Ivy League) for undergrad. I got hired at my current job because of where I went to grad school (not a famous grad school btw), BUT I think where I did my undergrad let me go straight into grad school with no work experience. Again, an opportunity created by me going to my undergrad university.

There are always ways to be successful without going to a university, but I think it will only increase your chances if you DO go to a university.

PiperInAlberta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by racknac
You know what though? I think its more about what you did in your life up to the point of getting into that top university that will indicate whether or not you will be successful. If you were a lazy dumb student in high school, chances are you are going to be a lazy dumb person at work. If you worked your ass off in high school and made it into a top university chances are you going to be successful because of that work ethic. I will be the first to admit, that a lot of it has to do with the opportunity to be successful... and I am a firm believer that you create better opportunities for yourself going to a top university.

I just turned 27 and am pulling around $130k USD a year. I went to a pretty famous university (not Ivy League) for undergrad. I got hired at my current job because of where I went to grad school (not a famous grad school btw), BUT I think where I did my undergrad let me go straight into grad school with no work experience. Again, an opportunity created by me going to my undergrad university.

There are always ways to be successful without going to a university, but I think it will only increase your chances if you DO go to a university.

frown.gif

Agreed. Being a university student doesn't place you above anyone else just by virtue of being a student. Being successful (or not a marsupial) is a state of mind.

I apologise for uncontroling a topic, oneeightysevenguycirclejerk and I took our little flame war to PM. We're having a good time.

racknac

Reaction score
frown.gif

Agreed. Being a university student doesn't place you above anyone else just by virtue of being a student. Being successful (or not a marsupial) is a state of mind.

I apologise for uncontroling a topic, oneeightysevenguycirclejerk and I took our little flame war to PM. We're having a good time.

lol. Honestly its all about how you hustle!

I know people who went to a **** university with a **** major and now make $150k USD with only an undergrad degree... i'm just sayin he knows how to hustle.

PiperInAlberta

Reaction score
lol. Honestly its all about how you hustle!

I know people who went to a **** university with a **** major and now make $150k USD with only an undergrad degree... i'm just sayin he knows how to hustle.

My job doesn't exactly have high salary opportunities.

My degree and work experience could land me some pretty decent paying jobs, but they don't interest me at all.

I've basically regulated myself to shopping at the Gap and the websites advertised here (but only when stuff goes on sale) and drooling over the Alden thread.

racknac

Reaction score
My job doesn't exactly have high salary opportunities.

My degree and work experience could land me some pretty decent paying jobs, but they don't interest me at all.

I've basically regulated myself to shopping at the Gap and the websites advertised here (but only when stuff goes on sale) and drooling over the Alden thread.

if it makes you feel better, I only own one pair of Aldens.

PiperInAlberta

Reaction score
if it makes you feel better, I only own one pair of Aldens.

One more then I do.

I'm sure I'll manage though, I've got a sweet TV. And that's all one really needs in life; a nice TV and a case of beer.

racknac

Reaction score
One more then I do.

I'm sure I'll manage though, I've got a sweet TV. And that's all one really needs in life; a nice TV and a case of beer.

There are honestly a lot of things I would trade making lots of money for... work really consumes a lot of my life and I spend a lot simply because I am bored and have no one else to spend it on.

I know, I know... i need to start spending my money on cocaine.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^and hookers. find a doll to dress up in things. and cars?

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeez you fucktards, shut the **** up.

Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
I'm curious what you'd wear with them. I've always been curious about red jeans/pants, but I've never bitten the bullet in getting a pair because I'm afraid I won't pull them off.

White shirt would be easy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads