• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canadian universities are pretty consistent in their education. You aren't going to get a better education at UBC than at SFU or UofT or w/e.

Its not like the US where you have something like Harvard's mathematics department versus that of a regular state school.

There are only a few select programs in this country which are competative to a degree where you have to prepare for them.

Waterloo's architecture program requires a portfolio to get in and I hear its hard. Queen, York, and Western have very competative business undergrads which require a really good entrance submission. Mac's health science undergrad is really hard to get in and has something like 60% of its graduates going to medical school which is ridiculous for an undergrad program.

Not really any prestige in any of them though, save those business schools. Even then I quesiton the utility of doing an undergrad in business.

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm asian and I pretty heavily researched this stuff when I applied to universities back in 07. Since then I realized that it doesn't matter, nobody actually gives a damn where you did your undergrad in the working world.

PiperInAlberta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
really? which? around here there are a shitload of colleges that are known solely as colleges. That's where the marsupialed kids go, with the exception of the students who are artists.

The marsupialed kids who fix the car, build the house, install the plumbing, string the wiring etc etc for the 'smart' university kids who couldn't change a flat tire or screw in a lightbulb if they had to (since we're all generalizing here).

Let's see, what can you go to college for these days;

- mechanic
- plumber
- electrician
- paramedic
- interior/fashion designer
- building framers
- any kind of technician you can imagine
- the list goes one...

Yep, all jobs for the marsupials among us. Sure there's some less-then-reputable colleges floating around, but I wouldn't classify all college students as marsupials.

(In other words, you're an idiot)

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PiperInAlberta
The marsupialed kids who fix the car, build the house, install the plumbing, string the wiring etc etc for the 'smart' university kids who couldn't change a flat tire or screw in a lightbulb if they had to (since we're all generalizing here).

Let's see, what can you go to college for these days;

- mechanic
- plumber
- electrician
- paramedic
- interior/fashion designer
- building framers
- any kind of technician you can imagine
- the list goes one...

Yep, all jobs for the marsupials among us. Sure there's some less-then-reputable colleges floating around, but I wouldn't classify all college students as marsupials.

(In other words, you're an idiot)

butthurt much mr.college-grad-canada-goose-wearing-albertan? lol

I just came out of highschool and I would not trust >75% of the students in the college-bound classes to do anything other than bag groceries. Trust me, I even took a college course in my grade 12 year when I switched schools (they wouldn't let me have two spares so I just took a bird college course). It was a zoo. They let you have cheat sheets on the tests
eh.gif
eh.gif
eh.gif
. One kid even asked what 'ambitious' meant...............
facepalm.gif
The irony was way too much.

you don't really want to compare the jobs of university students to that of college students now do you ??????????????

I'll take being a doctor, politican, lawyer, corporate executive etc. over any job you named.

racknac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
Canadian universities are pretty consistent in their education. You aren't going to get a better education at UBC than at SFU or UofT or w/e.

Its not like the US where you have something like Harvard's mathematics department versus that of a regular state school.

There are only a few select programs in this country which are competative to a degree where you have to prepare for them.

Waterloo's architecture program requires a portfolio to get in and I hear its hard. Queen, York, and Western have very competative business undergrads which require a really good entrance submission. Mac's health science undergrad is really hard to get in and has something like 60% of its graduates going to medical school which is ridiculous for an undergrad program.

Not really any prestige in any of them though, save those business schools. Even then I quesiton the utility of doing an undergrad in business.

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm asian and I pretty heavily researched this stuff when I applied to universities back in 07. Since then I realized that it doesn't matter, nobody actually gives a damn where you did your undergrad in the working world.

It really depends on your industry... additionally, where you graduated can help if you have no work experience. I went to CAL and I know for a fact its opened a lot of doors for me, especially to companies overseas... it will be nothing but a great first impression when a recruiter looks at your resume. Granted it won't land you the job, but it will get you an interview.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
caltech?

I thought we were talking about canadian ones. Yeah duh if you go to caltech you are going to get noticed while some guy flips through the resume stacks.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
caltech is caltech (short for california institute of technology), not cal....

i think its berkeley, thanks to google

the best is harvard, all my friends from harvard get noticed pretty easily.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the U.S there is a greater emphasis on what school one goes to. Aren't there Americans who are totally crazy about their alma mater and show school spirit/pride in everything they do?

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That's because in the US there's actually a difference between schools. It's not just McGill and everything else no one's ever heard of. There's also no difference between "university" and "college," whether you went to Stanford or ITTTTTTT Tech.

/fightin' words

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
butthurt much mr.college-grad-canada-goose-wearing-albertan? lol I just came out of highschool and I would not trust >75% of the students in the college-bound classes to do anything other than bag groceries. Trust me, I even took a college course in my grade 12 year when I switched schools (they wouldn't let me have two spares so I just took a bird college course). It was a zoo. They let you have cheat sheets on the tests
eh.gif
eh.gif
eh.gif
. One kid even asked what 'ambitious' meant...............
facepalm.gif
The irony was way too much. you don't really want to compare the jobs of university students to that of college students now do you ?????????????? I'll take being a doctor, politican, lawyer, corporate executive etc. over any job you named.

Nope you're an idiot, intelligence isn't linear and while those well regarded career choices you mention are all rather intellectual, they are all of particular kinds of intelligence. For one with the exception of doctor they have no real relevance to the Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence: one's physical ability, competence in physical tasks and capacity to manipulate objects, something that's integral to all trades. Secondly these positions for the most part don't involve Spatial Intelligence - again with the exception of doctor - as they don't utilize one's ability to store, understand, manipulate and reason mental imagery to the degree of other positions such as an interior designer or graphic artist. It is also important to note that creativity is on another level altogether and that while it is definitely seen in many high rank positions, it is moreso seen in 'lesser' positions in society where there are less restrictions on how one can think - also considering that education by definition restricts one's ability to think as it imposes a structure of sorts that needs to be adhered to to some degree within one's profession - a reason why many artists are not formally trained.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads