• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go RM Williams for half that price mate - they do a MTO service.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Go RM Williams for half that price mate - they do a MTO service.

I love my pair of RM's...but I could buy these for probably $60 all in on ebay (they have been worn 3 times, says the seller). RM's as you know are about $300 shipped to the US.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh fair enough. I really don't like AE. AE 7 really ruined it for me.

RM Williams RTW is a nightmare. MTO is pretty good.

Hobbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
I put it up to see if anyone else besides PG dropped on them. As awesome as fashion bags are, you kinda need something useful when your flying to see your girlfriend every month. Checking in luggage is lame and a waste of time.

Razele - I have the Boston bag and the City Bag. Both are excellent and the construction is superb. I have managed to get two weeks worth of gear into the Boston bag for various travels and every airline I have flown on has allowed me to use it as a carry on. The Shorthauler would be more suitable for an overnight trip or a day bag.

The photos on the Monocle site are rubbish; these are much better though:
http://shop.beams.co.jp/tag/?tagid=2810

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks Hobbs, cheers for that.

I thought that I'd get the Shorthauler and the Boston. In Australia you can be like "oh this is my laptop bag lol" and have that AND a carry on. So that would work pretty well.

Shorthauler will do pretty good for uni as well.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you like rm w rtw?

They aren't my thing, but when I tried the comfort craftsmen they were seriously the most comfortable thing I've ever worn on my feet.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are really wide.

You kinda have to size them differently then how they want you to size them in store.

They want you to size down and go wide, were you should size up 1/2 size and thinner width. They look better that way.

Also you have things like the brass screwed soles in MTO which are nice, natural sole / white welt as a change and huge flexibility with hide choice.

ysb

Reaction score
ahh, I didn't see this thread.

repost from "ask a question..." thread

should I buy a pair of jeans, or buy a pair of boots?

the boots are RM Williams comfort craftsman in basically new shape whiskey colored

the jeans are Dior Homme MIJ, new with tags.

if this were a month ago, I would have bought both instantly. but I'm trying a new thing...restraint!

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysb

the boots are RM Williams comfort craftsman in basically new shape whiskey colored

if this were a month ago, I would have bought both instantly. but I'm trying a new thing...restraint!

um

how the hell is anyone supposed to answer this, serious question

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysb
well, there's three possible answers:

1. boots

2. jeans

3. cheese

No, I mean, how can anyone here tell you which one you should get? We don't know your priorities, what your current shoe collection and denim collection is like, which one suits your lifestyle more, etc.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysb

it depends what kind of shape the shoes are in, link pls

ysb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
No, I mean, how can anyone here tell you which one you should get? We don't know your priorities, what your current shoe collection and denim collection is like, which one suits your lifestyle more, etc.
well I work in a travelling position where I'm business casual about 3-4 days a week. I try to wear jeans as much as possible outside of work. I've probably got about 10-15 pairs of jeans, Flat Heads, APC's, Nudies, KMW, Acne. these are the boots I'm thinking of buying
rmw4.jpg
this is my shoe collection
shoes1.jpg
Obviously the last thing I need is a new pair of jeans boots. I'm a whore for material things, so that's where I'm coming from. Thanks

docgerrard

Reaction score
for sneakers, do you recommend pf flyers center-his or converse all star chuck taylors?

like i have a pair of loafers that i really like, i can wear those with my pants and jeans and they work well and still allows me to avoid the juvenile look. im kind of just looking for some sneakers to just hang out with friends, comfortable, those that i don't have to worry about keeping clean, you know?

thanks for the advice by the way, i really appreciate it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads