1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. reason_being

reason_being Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sales are tempting me...

[​IMG]

2. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

First, Modern Amusement Bravery Cardigan, marked down to 100. I have had my eye on this for a while but I have a bigger frame and am not sure if I just like the idea of it, vs. whether it will work on me. [​IMG] [​IMG] Secondly, http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...46#post1668546

3. rioni

rioni Senior member

Paul Smith Cordo Ricard @ 300$ [​IMG]

4. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

^Yes. If you can spend 300 on boots then do it. That's solid.

5. jet

jet Senior member

Don't buy that cardigan, you will thank me later.

Invest in something a little more timeless.

6. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Sorry that this is basically my second post within 24 hours, but I don't buy stuff too often. Anyway, I went shopping today for shirts. BoO (I can't afford it, but I'll just post this for reference): [​IMG] AA: [​IMG] Rugby RL: [​IMG] So right now I'm basically choosing between AA and Rugby. I'd probably get the Rugby tailored. Anyway, just how bad is the quality of AA stuff (especially compared to Rugby)? It's obviously a bit slimmer, but I'm not sure if the thinness/cheapness makes the drape look weird. Anyway, I also picked up some non-prescription glasses at a thrift store for four bucks. I'd feel like a huge douchebag if I were wearing clear-framed Oliver Peoples, but I just thought these looked cool for $4. Thoughts? [​IMG]

7. Lel

Lel Senior member

Sorry that this is basically my second post within 24 hours, but I don't buy stuff too often.
    Well, obviously the BoO looks best, just curious what's the size on that? And A-Body or B-Body? The AA/Rugby look about the same for me so go for whatever is cheaper/easier for you to get and tailor, but I don't think that you'll still get the same fit as you would with BoO. Glasses look fine. I'm not a big glass person, but at least you didn't spend $200 on a similar pair.
    Paul Smith Cordo Ricard @ 300$
    Cop. Too gorgeous to pass up. I'm assuming 300 is below retail, so if this is in you're size you must buy it. More money will come later, this shoe might not. Hell, even if it is retail you should get it.

8. mainy

mainy Senior member

wmmk
    i like the rugby shirt better, i would try to get it hemmed higher though. your picture of the BoO shirt really shows how crazy their hems are though, you can see your belt on the side! that's ridiculous

9. slappysloopy

slappysloopy Senior member

I love the glasses. You should try them in your next WAYWT for sure. The BoO fits perfectly. [​IMG] I think the sleeve length on the rugby is better.

10. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Well, obviously the BoO looks best, just curious what's the size on that? And A-Body or B-Body? The AA/Rugby look about the same for me so go for whatever is cheaper/easier for you to get and tailor, but I don't think that you'll still get the same fit as you would with BoO. Glasses look fine. I'm not a big glass person, but at least you didn't spend $200 on a similar pair.
    It's a small (size 1). If it was a buttondown (rather than straight) collar and was pleated all the way down the back, and that means it's an A body (the slimmer one), right? I bought the Rugby and I guess I'll keep it because I also bought some striped and patterned shirts there. Hopefully altering 4 shirts with a near-identical fit will be easier than altering 4 slightly different ones? The Rugby were also heavier oxford cloth and had nicer buttons.
    wmmk i like the rugby shirt better, i would try to get it hemmed higher though. your picture of the BoO shirt really shows how crazy their hems are though, you can see your belt on the side! that's ridiculous
    Yeah, as long as I'm having the sides & sleeves taken in, I might as well raise the hem, I suppose.
    I love the glasses. You should try them in your next WAYWT for sure. The BoO fits perfectly. [​IMG] I think the sleeve length on the rugby is better.
    Thanks. I remember some guy posting a thread a few months ago about non-prescription glasses and getting totally shelled for it, but I guess $4 glasses are a little less contrived than $200 equivalents. And just how cheap can BoO shirts get on discount and/or SF buy& sell. The Rugbys were 60 each (after student discount), and tailoring on each could be as high as $50, to do all the alterations I'd want. If the quote for tailoring ends up being that high, I think I might just return the shirts and wait for BoO (or at least those Thom Browne x Brooks "Black Fleece" shirts) go on sale...

11. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

gaaaah...just saw "this" on yoox. "this" being the coat. looks amazing. [​IMG]

12. Lel

Lel Senior member

It's a small (size 1). If it was a buttondown (rather than straight) collar and was pleated all the way down the back, and that means it's an A body (the slimmer one), right? I bought the Rugby and I guess I'll keep it because I also bought some striped and patterned shirts there. Hopefully altering 4 shirts with a near-identical fit will be easier than altering 4 slightly different ones? The Rugby were also heavier oxford cloth and had nicer buttons.
    If I were you I would just save up money for the BoO sale on Gilt Groupe where shirts will more or less go for something like $100 a pop, stuff just fits you too good to pass up.

13. keikun13

keikun13 Senior member

+1 on the look of the glasses and what a steal too. However, I'm not really a fan of wearing non-prescription eyeglasses. But if you like it, then you should wear it.

I was also at AA today and tried on some of their oxfords. They fit pretty well (though I did have to size down to an XS from my usual S), but the collar kept bothering me. It looked all wrong and out of place, but in your picture it looks fine. I think we have similar tastes and styles as well as body types. Let me know what you plan to do because I'm also in the same boat (in search of not too expensive slim fitting button downs).

edit: ha looks like you posted before I got my post in

14. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

Wear the glasses for now...they were four dollars, they look pretty cool, and one day if you get to a point when you realize that you're not comfortable wearing non-prescription glasses, then you'll take them off. The end. Trust yourself more dude.

15. jet

jet Senior member

Coat is off the heezy b, is that fall 07?

16. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

If I were you I would just save up money for the BoO sale on Gilt Groupe where shirts will more or less go for something like $100 a pop, stuff just fits you too good to pass up.
    Oh, that sounds great. Is there any set date for that, and do they ever have relatively basic patterns available? I'm currently looking for a solid pink and a light-blue striped.
    +1 on the look of the glasses and what a steal too. However, I'm not really a fan of wearing non-prescription eyeglasses. But if you like it, then you should wear it.

I was also at AA today and tried on some of their oxfords. They fit pretty well (though I did have to size down to an XS from my usual S), but the collar kept bothering me. It looked all wrong and out of place, but in your picture it looks fine. I think we have similar tastes and styles as well as body types. Let me know what you plan to do because I'm also in the same boat (in search of not too expensive slim fitting button downs).

edit: ha looks like you posted before I got my post in

Thanks. I figure if the glasses look good, I might as well wear them. Anyway, I also sized down at AA. If Rugby had XS oxfords, they'd work out well. Anyway, I'm thinking I might just search around for cheao BoO/ Black Fleece...

17. Lel

Lel Senior member

Oh, that sounds great. Is there any set date for that, and do they ever have relatively basic patterns available? I'm currently looking for a solid pink and a light-blue striped.

I heard late January a while back, but I'm not sure, might need to ask them directly for an updated guestimate.

The one I saw had plenty of overdyes, and stripes. I was fairly late on mine (like 30 min.) and I still managed to grab an XS but other people have had issues with being able to grab things. Either way I see lot's of S sized BoO on the B&S forums (check out SuFu too) for ~150.

18. Gravitas

Gravitas Senior member

I need to find glasses like the ones wmmk posted. I may end up looking like a stalker, but so be it.

Translated for GoSurface: "Damn son, wmmk got dem phat glasses that I gotta kop. Dey probably make me look like a creeper but dats cool."

19. PolePosition

PolePosition Senior member

Houndstooth

How about this to go with chinos and jeans. The measurements in chest and shoulder are right for me and it looks really similar to the Isaia Napoli sport coat in BS but much cheaper, albeit this is probably not as nice material-wise since I'm 99.9% sure its just some Asian sweatshop made knockoff lol. What you guys think? Yay or nay....I'm in it for the looks and the price, could care less that it has "armani" written in it.

20. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Coat is off the heezy b, is that fall 07?

yes sir. looks awesome. hopefully it is awesome