Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. chopp

chopp Active Member

haha excuse my style noobness!

2. APK

APK Senior member

Here's a good rule of thumb for any novice:

Never buy something just because it's really cheap. An attractive price tag can sweeten the pot, but it shouldn't be what fuels the purchase. Developing personal style is a work in progress, but you'll save yourself some money if you avoid purchases prompted by low prices.

Moreover, I wouldn't buy something unless you have an idea of how will you incorporate it into your wardrobe. Again, that's something that comes with the honing of personal style. But you should have at least some semblance of what you'll do with a piece before you buy it.

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Here's a good rule of thumb for any novice:

Never buy something just because it's really cheap. An attractive price tag can sweeten the pot, but it shouldn't be what fuels the purchase. Developing personal style is a work in progress, but you'll save yourself some money if you avoid purchases prompted by low prices.

Moreover, I wouldn't buy something unless you have an idea of how will you incorporate it into your wardrobe. Again, that's something that comes with the honing of personal style. But you should have at least some semblance of what you'll do with a piece before you buy it.

I agree, but sometimes there are items you are "sitting on the fence about." Those items are the ones you might normally pass on, but on sale you go for.

4. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Then again, if i'm on the fence about something or don't know how long i'll really be into it, i can be swayed if i am almost positive i'll get even money if i decided to resell it because i don't have anything to lose. Then again, at this point i generally know the resale marketprice for most things on sufu/sf/ebay.

Rule of thumb is that most h&m things have zero resale value with the exception of like 2-3 items per season (and even then only on sale)

5. Doin' Fine.

Doin' Fine. Senior member

Fucking Christ stop saying stupid things, of course "dress" shoes (by which you mean bals and bluchers) go with casual stuff, but making broad categorical generalizations completely misses the point that only SOME of them actually end up looking good, and you might as well scream "I DON'T HAVE THE TASTE OR APPRECIATION FOR DETAIL TO DISCERN ONE SHOE FROM ANOTHER SO I'M JUST GOING TO TREAT SHOES THAT ARE SORT OF SIMILAR AS THE SAME THING".

Those are some nice shoes... to wear with a traditional suit.

There's an applause smiley, right? Lemme check... Nah, but the worship one'll make do [​IMG]

6. chopp

chopp Active Member

Then again, if i'm on the fence about something or don't know how long i'll really be into it, i can be swayed if i am almost positive i'll get even money if i decided to resell it because i don't have anything to lose. Then again, at this point i generally know the resale marketprice for most things on sufu/sf/ebay.

Rule of thumb is that most h&m things have zero resale value with the exception of like 2-3 items per season (and even then only on sale)

thanks for the tips guys...i dont post much, mostly read, but thanks for not flaming me!

and yes i do envision what i can pair with things before i buy them...i just wasnt sure if a light grey blazer was suitable for night time wear. in the summer it seems to be ok, but not sure about winter?

7. Vashin

Vashin Senior member

I find I buy the more on the fence about things while I am under the influence of substances.

8. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

I find I buy the more on the fence about things while I am under the influence of substances.

haha. i've definitely made a ebay purchase and buy/sell/supermarket drunk buy or two

9. mc25

mc25 Senior member

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

in my quest to build a better wardrobe i picked this up at h&m on sale very cheaply. fit is typical h&m...but i just dont know if i should return it or not. how could i wear it? could i wear it at night or is it only daytime wear?

[​IMG]

When was the blazer on sale? I saw tis at H&M, but in khaki version iirc and it was still retail of $60. Fits me perfectly in a 36 but when was it on sale? Over the weekend?

11. MockProper

MockProper Senior member

12. Dizzle

Dizzle New Member

13. Kill_switch

Kill_switch Senior member

14. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

dior[/IMG]
    absolutely, that wash is awesome. I would buy if they were a size or two smaller.

15. Kill_switch

Kill_switch Senior member

thats what i thought too, honestly the first washed pair of jeans i've liked and i like them A LOT.