• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone ever did, they dropped to $190 and then weren't updated, one day I'll look back and think of what a hole I have in my shoe collection without them lol

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole 'dress shoes don't go with casual fit' idea is bollocks. Simply look at braidkid, Eason, mellowfellow and many others for proof that dress shoes can look fine in a casual fit. I wear mine frequently with skinny jeans, casual trousers, tailored shorts with t-shirts and button ups and good pieces of outerwear. So long as your outfit is clean/sharp and the shoes don't stand out like a suit jacket on a gangster there's no real issue.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude I kinda want to do custom RM Williams in black pony hair with a natural welt and sole.
laugh.gif
That is a terrible photo of the handgrade line. Leathers look way nicer even in the benchgrade line, that looks like corrected grain with it's characeristic dull greasy shine. Whoever posted have a look at Alfred Sargents new MTM line, looks fantastic and price is essentially at the handgrade line. I will probably do black calf captoes and black calf austerity brogues.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
They wouldn't look good in a casual fit, imo. Part of me is regretting not buying those ponyhair Margielas a few months back lol

I keep thinking about those now and then and wish I owned them, no kidding.

dls6128

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
The whole 'dress shoes don't go with casual fit' idea is bollocks. Simply look at braidkid, Eason, mellowfellow and many others for proof that dress shoes can look fine in a casual fit. I wear mine frequently with skinny jeans, casual trousers, tailored shorts with t-shirts and button ups and good pieces of outerwear. So long as your outfit is clean/sharp and the shoes don't stand out like a suit jacket on a gangster there's no real issue.
I prefer the derbies in Braidkid's fits to those C&Js. Compare these S2A derbies from Yoox to the C&Js; I think the former is a better casual shoe. Something about the open lacing, sleeker toe, and fewer eyelets makes me prefer them.

That said, I doubt anyone outside of SF would notice.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
idk the best SW&D derbies I've seen were 5 eyelet DH, I think from VOTC, with waxed flat laces.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
******* Christ stop saying stupid things, of course "dress" shoes (by which you mean bals and bluchers) go with casual stuff, but making broad categorical generalizations completely misses the point that only SOME of them actually end up looking good, and you might as well scream "I DON'T HAVE THE TASTE OR APPRECIATION FOR DETAIL TO DISCERN ONE SHOE FROM ANOTHER SO I'M JUST GOING TO TREAT SHOES THAT ARE SORT OF SIMILAR AS THE SAME THING".

Those are some nice shoes... to wear with a traditional suit.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure who you are referring to, but if it was me then I don't get it, cause I wasn't making any categorical generalizations, on the contrary I was condemning them.

EDIT: S2A make great stuff, not sure about their shoes though.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
I think I'd prefer if they were closed laced but still, not bad. Anyone have an opinion on S2A shoes in general? Never held a pair.
Their laceups aren't really anything special. Though yoox probably has them priced about right (lower than normal retail). I've owned some other s2a stuff and it's always been pretty solid. If anyone wants a black coated trench i need to get rid of that haha (such a hoarder). I wouldn't get the laceups for your one pair of ultimate dress shoes but they're decent enough to where they justify the price considering the good shape and styling

chopp

Reaction score
in my quest to build a better wardrobe i picked this up at h&m on sale very cheaply. fit is typical h&m...but i just dont know if i should return it or not. how could i wear it? could i wear it at night or is it only daytime wear?
img00039201002271018.jpg

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
******* Christ stop saying stupid things, of course "dress" shoes (by which you mean bals and bluchers) go with casual stuff, but making broad categorical generalizations completely misses the point that only SOME of them actually end up looking good, and you might as well scream "I DON'T HAVE THE TASTE OR APPRECIATION FOR DETAIL TO DISCERN ONE SHOE FROM ANOTHER SO I'M JUST GOING TO TREAT SHOES THAT ARE SORT OF SIMILAR AS THE SAME THING".

People love generalizations and rules because they are lazy. It is much easier (and less risky) to learn someone else's rules than to take the time to understand what is going on around you and develop your own opinions.

d-nice

Reaction score
deleted my post and moved it to recent purchases thread.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chopp
in my quest to build a better wardrobe i picked this up at h&m on sale very cheaply. fit is typical h&m...but i just dont know if i should return it or not. how could i wear it? could i wear it at night or is it only daytime wear?
It's a blazer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads