• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
Am I crazy in thinking that a blue corduroy boa jacket is less versatile than a brown one? It ends up being a lot of blue-on-blue.

I have a blue Visvim Caravan that I wear often when it's cold enough and that I got at a really good price, but lately I've been eyeing a coverall-ish version from 45r. I slightly prefer the collar on the Visvim, but pockets and silhouette on the 45r. I'm not gonna spend $1000 on a used brown Visvim Caravan.

Visvim:
1633053574366.png
1633053610104.png

45r (two different browns, bad lighting on both):
1633053713517.png
1633053741993.png

1633053800993.png

All pics taken from the interwebs.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any recommendations for swimwear brands, especially this late in the season? Going on a trip soon and just realized I need bathing suits. Looking to spend 60-80 at most.
Commas and Orlebar Brown or Tom Ford if you’re feeling spendy

More a what should I buy, boxer briefs? I used to do Micro Modal by Calvin klein but they don’t make the right ones anymore. I want some that are relatively short.
Don’t mind spending up to say 30-40/pair, but obviously cheaper is better lol
another option is the Lululemon AIM boxer briefs. That’s what I went for after trying bunch of different modal boxer briefs in the last 18months because the old brand I used to buy stopped making them.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of digging diamond and curved patterned liner jackets now. Thoughts? Dumb question, but if they're not insulated with down do they wear cooler than non-insulated bomber/ma-1 jackets? Or are most insulated? Are the insulated ones not that warm with how thin they are? I want something that can be worn in spring and fall (lightly layered).

Any recs for a diamond/curved pattered one with a V shaped neckline and without ribbing at the neck, sleeves, and hem? Should I just get a vintage military one?

Budget is $250 but preferably under $200; can't afford Visvim with a wife, mortgage, and 2 kids. I liked the 18 east one but it looked padded/too warm and haven't seen any pop up for re-sale. I've checked out Snowpeak before but the ones I saw were insulated.

Last edited:

Phullyman

Reaction score
Any recommendations for swimwear brands, especially this late in the season? Going on a trip soon and just realized I need bathing suits. Looking to spend 60-80 at most.
I have 2 pairs of Bather's swimming trunks and I love em

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mhl-by-margaret-howell-men-aw21-online-30.jpg

mhl military mac

or

lemaire storm flap coat

leaning towards the mhl...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
View attachment 1680600

mhl military mac

or

lemaire storm flap coat

Both are good IMO. If it was my money, I'd prob buy the MHL.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1680600

mhl military mac

or

lemaire storm flap coat

The Lemaire coat is nicer but it’s also twice the price.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the Lemaire better but it's a big price difference !

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Reaction score
Am I crazy in thinking that a blue corduroy boa jacket is less versatile than a brown one? It ends up being a lot of blue-on-blue.

I have a blue Visvim Caravan that I wear often when it's cold enough and that I got at a really good price, but lately I've been eyeing a coverall-ish version from 45r. I slightly prefer the collar on the Visvim, but pockets and silhouette on the 45r. I'm not gonna spend $1000 on a used brown Visvim Caravan.

Visvim:
View attachment 1678088 View attachment 1678089

45r (two different browns, bad lighting on both):
View attachment 1678090 View attachment 1678091
View attachment 1678092

All pics taken from the interwebs.
Problem with brown, and that shade in particular, is you can end up looking like you're wearing a potato sack.

Btw, the 45r is very oversized.

troika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of digging diamond and curved patterned liner jackets now. Thoughts? Dumb question, but if they're not insulated with down do they wear cooler than non-insulated bomber/ma-1 jackets? Or are most insulated? Are the insulated ones not that warm with how thin they are? I want something that can be worn in spring and fall (lightly layered).

Any recs for a diamond/curved pattered one with a V shaped neckline and without ribbing at the neck, sleeves, and hem? Should I just get a vintage military one?

Budget is $250 but preferably under $200; can't afford Visvim with a wife, mortgage, and 2 kids. I liked the 18 east one but it looked padded/too warm and haven't seen any pop up for re-sale. I've checked out Snowpeak before but the ones I saw were insulated.
Why not milsurp?

zenosparadox

Reaction score
Speaking of liners, what are everyone's thoughts on the piece below? It's vintage and can be had cheaply. I find it interesting, and really like both that dusty/washed out pink and the olive piping accents. But not sure whether it would be quite as wearable as something black, grey, or beige.
E5E1DC43A42A4EF7BA0B20FCEA654228.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find those vintage M65 liners to be very awkward to wear between the lack of buttoning, the shape of the neckline and sleeve length.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.