• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, whatever. It seems odd to me. Whatever floats your boat, I'm not gonna get into an i-spat about appropriation and whatever but I do cringe when I see some of the navajo replica stuff on that Itaian website with turquoise inlays etc...

Maybe it's just me - carry on...

Is this just a thing for you when it comes to native American stuff or do you have the same views when it comes to, say, Japanese makers making repro copies of American clothes?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like Native American stuff is a little harder to pin down. Especially when you consider that many are still subject to abject conditions and that this art form does have a rich history which has been exploited by many for quick profits like the cheapo Fred Harvey era stuff.

It's tough to say because there are some designs I love from non native artisans making southwestern style stuff. However repro Americana is just copying some old cool design.

Although I do find it funny that Japanese brands buy up defunct American brands to give themselves some cache.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I ended up passing on the Silver Ostrich belt because the aesthetics seem iffy to me. Ended up just getting a vintage Native American buckle and paid someone to make me a ranger belt strap. You can find vintage ranger belts all over eBay.

Kapital one looks bad to me. Same with many of the RRL repros.

My ranger belt:

IMG_0567.JPG

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

By no means a "watch guy," so I would defer to someone with more knowledge and better taste than me. But I like those. Only thing is that, I think the regular version would look better unless you're wearing an all-black outfit. Personally like blacked-out accessories if I'm wearing all black, and then the "normal" color combos for everything else.

Like, the above with black bomber + black jeans. But then olive bomber with blue jeans would look better with this below, I think:

71Ja+siPl5L._AC_UX385_.jpg

HollyJoint

Reaction score
By no means a "watch guy," so I would defer to someone with more knowledge and better taste than me. But I like those. Only thing is that, I think the regular version would look better unless you're wearing an all-black outfit. Personally like blacked-out accessories if I'm wearing all black, and then the "normal" color combos for everything else.

Like, the above with black bomber + black jeans. But then olive bomber with blue jeans would look better with this below, I think:

View attachment 1629726

what do you mean, black is a neutral color that doesn't match other colors? unless I want to dress in a monochromatic way

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what do you mean, black is a neutral color that doesn't match other colors? unless I want to dress in a monochromatic way

The watch you posted is all black, so I would personally only wear that in all-black outfits.

HollyJoint

Reaction score
The watch you posted is all black, so I would personally only wear that in all-black outfits.

ok, but i still don't understand, i mean that whoever wears black ray bans or a black hat can only wear black clothes?

Dibidoolandas

Reaction score
suede boot looks like it has a weirdly elongated toe

white shoes look like cartoon shoes
Found them for half off on Matches and YOLO got the last one in my size.
I definitely think it's an accented toe but I like it, a little exaggerated silhouette. Think they'll look good with flares too.
1624561569812.png

Reactions: XWT

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, but i still don't understand, i mean that whoever wears black ray bans or a black hat can only wear black clothes?
It's more about the vibe of the piece. The all black watch has more of a minimalistic, aggressive look, which would work a bit better in an all black outfit. The second looks more everyday/utilitarian

HollyJoint

Reaction score
It's more about the vibe of the piece. The all black watch has more of a minimalistic, aggressive look, which would work a bit better in an all black outfit. The second looks more everyday/utilitarian

alright, but you can also see on the other hand, an all-black discreet watch that goes well with everything

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are black watches and then there are blacked out watches. The latter have a specific aesthetic point of view which is to turn everything black, including elements that normally aren’t.

a black watch is innocuous and neutral. A blacked out watch is a bit of a statement and not really neutral in the same way.

this applies not just to that watch but a blacked out sub or a blacked out Luminor, would give off the same “all black” minimalist vibes.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm failing to see why an international brand owned by a jewish american based in New York can do it (RRL of course) but italians can't.
I can’t tell if you’re referring to Soros or the Rothschilds.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t tell if you’re referring to Soros or the Rothschilds.

are you making a terrible joke or are you genuinely implying that I’m an alt right nutjob?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads