• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I personally stopped buying polarized a long time ago (I wear prescription lenses, so have to get everything swapped out when I buy new frames). However, I always get that anti-reflective coating on the back.

FWIW, my setting is mostly in an urban and semi-urban environment. No idea if it makes a difference when you're doing things like water sports.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Polarized lenses are the non-iron shirts of eyewear.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
- Marketing tool to create "differentiation"
- Perceived benefits vs real
- Altering the original experience (different feel for shirt, splicing and recoloring reality for polarized lenses)
- Something some guy at the mall tells you is "better" and is an "upgrade"
- Stuff we don't actually need
- Stuff that no longer applies to modern lifestyle (have you looked at a phone screen with polarized lenses?)

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is just not true. As someone who has been on boats a lot, I can confidently say that polarized lenses are much easier on the eyes compared to regular lenses when it comes to looking at surfaces with glare.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is just not true. As someone who has been on boats a lot, I can confidently say that polarized lenses are much easier on the eyes compared to regular lenses when it comes to looking at surfaces with glare.
Those are the real benefits. For people who do need polarization for extreme glare.

99% of the time, we don't need polarization for everyday use. It's just something that is marketed as an upgrade but in reality, for everyday urban life is almost more of a liability.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe they make a difference when you're out on the water. I don't know, as I think I'm on a boat maybe once every five or ten years. Walking around the city, I can't say that polarized lenses make a big impact on my experience. Perhaps they cut down a little on the glare reflecting off cars, but that experience happens for like two seconds. I feel like I spend more time checking to see if they actually make a difference than I do getting blinded from the glare of cars in normal daily activities.

I stopped buying them because the upcharge just didn't seem to make sense for my normal activities as an urban dweller. Whereas, once I skipped out on the anti-reflective coating on a pair of sunglasses and quickly regretted it.

I haven't bought polarized lenses in many years, but some people have noted this. No idea if this is still the case

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are the real benefits. For people who do need polarization for extreme glare.

99% of the time, we don't need polarization for everyday use. It's just something that is marketed as an upgrade but in reality, for everyday urban life is almost more of a liability.
Maybe they make a difference when you're out on the water. I don't know, as I think I'm on a boat maybe once every five or ten years. Walking around the city, I can't say that polarized lenses make a big impact on my experience. Perhaps they cut down a little on the glare reflecting off cars, but that experience happens for like two seconds. I feel like I spend more time checking to see if they actually make a difference than I do getting blinded from the glare of cars in normal daily activities.

I stopped buying them because the upcharge just didn't seem to make sense for my normal activities as an urban dweller. Whereas, once I skipped out on the anti-reflective coating on a pair of sunglasses and quickly regretted it.

I haven't bought polarized lenses in many years, but some people have noted this. No idea if this is still the case

Ah, I must've misunderstood. I read you like you meant it was just a marketing hoax. Anyway, I totally agree, for regular urban use there is no real reason to get polarized lenses.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have polarized lenses on all my sunglasses. I can say they are beneficial to me for a few reasons
- as someone with terrible vision, anything that reduces eye strain is welcome, polarized lenses feel much more comfortable for my eyes than normal lenses
- i find them to be more clear and safer when driving

It is totally not necessary for everyone but I find the difference important and would suggest you try a (good) pair of polarized lenses and see if it’s worth the price difference to you.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel polarized lenses help with more than just glare on water or other objects if you live somewhere sunny and are outdoors a lot. In the early afternoon (1 or 2 PM) I find regular lenses are pretty useless when dealing with the sun at that high of an angle.

I do prefer non polarized lenses in the late afternoon when it's not as bright but I'm not going to carry 2 pairs around.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is hot. Need shorts. Patagonia Baggies or Baggies Lights?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.