• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

bsyde82

Reaction score
I've decided to commit to the Gucci bit loafer, the classic black version. However, then I browsed around and have discovered numerous brands that also make an almost identical black bit loafer (for much cheaper). Brands include Horatio (although sold out), Henderson Barraco, and Vinny's. They seem like decent quality and aren't cheap either, but based on current prices/sales, I could get one of the above and another pair of shoes (looking on farfetch right now with their 15% extra off) for the price of the Gucci's.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've decided to commit to the Gucci bit loafer, the classic black version. However, then I browsed around and have discovered numerous brands that also make an almost identical black bit loafer (for much cheaper). Brands include Horatio (although sold out), Henderson Barraco, and Vinny's. They seem like decent quality and aren't cheap either, but based on current prices/sales, I could get one of the above and another pair of shoes (looking on farfetch right now with their 15% extra off) for the price of the Gucci's.
Blackstock & Webber has a nice horse bit, croc embossed.

I think a difference could be if you want to own the “original” or not, or if a certain style speaks to you. I doubt the quality or anything is *that* much different between the Gucci’s and the others. But maybe you like the shape specifically or something like that (the 1953s have a rounder shape while those Horatio's look more square, the Vinny’s and the B&W seem to have a more substantial look with the thicker sole). If all those things put together really matter to you, get the 53s. If not, then maybe you save some money and get whichever other version you like best.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think each horsebit loafer can be good on its own grounds. But if you're buying something because you want a cheaper version of the Gucci, you will end up being disappointed because it'll live in the shadow of the thing you actually want.

I think Carmina makes a nice one

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To quote the great philosopher Radric Delantic Davis:

"Now that Gucci's home, it's over for you Gucci clones"

bsyde82

Reaction score
I think each horsebit loafer can be good on its own grounds. But if you're buying something because you want a cheaper version of the Gucci, you will end up being disappointed because it'll live in the shadow of the thing you actually want.

I think Carmina makes a nice one

thanks for the rec, didn't even think of Carmina and I like that price point. I'm a total shoe noob so what would you say is the difference between that Carmina and the Henderson Baracco if any? I never heard of the latter brand until searching for this type of shoe. The price point seems to suggest decent quality and looking at internet pics, they look pretty much identical.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Blackstock & Webber has a nice horse bit, croc embossed.

I think a difference could be if you want to own the “original” or not, or if a certain style speaks to you. I doubt the quality or anything is *that* much different between the Gucci’s and the others. But maybe you like the shape specifically or something like that (the 1953s have a rounder shape while those Horatio's look more square, the Vinny’s and the B&W seem to have a more substantial look with the thicker sole). If all those things put together really matter to you, get the 53s. If not, then maybe you save some money and get whichever other version you like best.
I have the B&W and they're heavy and leather is thick and stiff. I think of my B&W loafers (but especially these croc embossed ones) as something closer to a Timb 3-eye lug than a traditional loafer. They're proper shit-kickers.

MeatFish

Reaction score
thanks for the rec, didn't even think of Carmina and I like that price point. I'm a total shoe noob so what would you say is the difference between that Carmina and the Henderson Baracco if any? I never heard of the latter brand until searching for this type of shoe. The price point seems to suggest decent quality and looking at internet pics, they look pretty much identical.
I have both Gucci 1953s and Carmina bit loafers (not the ones linked, but the Armoury's version), and I'd say Carminas leather and hardware feel better than what I have on the Guccis. If I didn't score a good deal on them, the Xim loafers would have been the clear choice

bsyde82

Reaction score
I have both Gucci 1953s and Carmina bit loafers (not the ones linked, but the Armoury's version), and I'd say Carminas leather and hardware feel better than what I have on the Guccis. If I didn't score a good deal on them, the Xim loafers would have been the clear choice
shape wise are they pretty much identical?

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bonafé makes great shoes as well (I much prefer them to Carmina in terms of quality), and these are on sale:

If you're going for that 1953 gucci horsebit loafer look, these are very close and the construction and leather would be way better.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with Henderson's shoes, so I can't say. The one pair of Carminas I own feel nice (they aren't horsebits, but they're loafers). I generally like the company's styles and think they offer really solid products for the price.

Treble

Reaction score
Really wish Gucci did the 1953 loafer in plain brown or pebble. That fake ageing on the non-exotic brown model they have done for the last few years looks awful, at least on the ones I have seen in person.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
For the price I don't think you can beat Carmina. I own both the Carmina and Gucci loafers above the the quality is far better from Carmina.

The Gucci are classic though and I wear them just as much.

As others have noted, ( and as someone with 13 grey loop wheeler sweatshirts ) sometimes it's best to spend more and just get the one you really want vs the cheaper imitation.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.