• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing is sure : you should not feel bad about returning it if you’re not convinced. You’ll definitely make someone else very happy. Early Christmas when that coat comes back in stock. ???

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see if I am able to cobble this together...

I agree you shouldn't keep something if it doesn't make you happy. But IMO, that looks great.

@DoubleDouble I think it looks great on you, but don't force yourself to like it if you're not feeling it. When you spend $1,000+ on a coat, it shouldn't be something you feel lukewarm about. Send it back and try some other options.

At the outset, what these guys said. Don't force yourself to keep it even though these guys, others, and myself think it looks really nice on you.

I will say - if you do not love how this looks on you, I'm not sure you are going to love how, say, the Camoshita bal looks on you. I think I would steer you in a difference direction.

@dieworkwear @Newcomer Alas, I think I'll return the KS Traveller. I feel like my thin frame—especially narrow shoulder width—gets accentuated by the A-shape and the voluminousness doesn't really shine, it's sort of wasted. Oscillating between "I should get used to a looser silhouette" and "it actually doesn't work". I remember seeing Kyle in both a 36 and 38, and I preferred a 36 on him, and I think a 36 would have looked better on me as well, but the sleeves would be too short.

I feel like on me it's not bad but it's not great either?

But damn the fabric is just amazing and I love the weight.

Other than that, if you paired that with a chunky sweater, I personally think it would look great.

Alright, trying my best @Newcomer impression here. My only chunky sweater is navy and it's becoming dark here, but you get the idea, I do think it looks a little better… although anything looks better on white pants so there's that to factor in.

Seems like the difference in sleeves between 38 and 36 is just one inch, so maybe I could try that, but the length might be off.

And... there it is! I think it looks great with a ****** sweater. I do wonder whether a size down would do you any favors... but a thicker sweater will "shorten" the sleeves since it will push the coat up at the shoulders. And frankly, it is a matter of degrees and I probably wouldn't sweat it.

Just for fun... here is a picture from 10/2013, with my first foray into longer coats. In my view, long coats look best when there is something visually interesting at the neck - whether that be a turtleneck, a scarf, etc. You need something to help frame your face, and add some heft. Button downs and long coats just never look right, as much as I wish they did!

1605794293187.png

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the encouragement ☺️ in the end, I decided to send back the coat. It's now finding its way to Namu and, as Greg said, it will make someone else very happy, hopefully! I feel like I'm jumping the gun a little by spending so much on a single piece of outerwear I don't 100% love when I could be getting 2–3 fall pieces (chunky knits, corduroy pants, etc) that I'm still missing. Plus, if KS survives the winter, I will have another chance at it next year! And if that doesn't happen, it's okay, every year there are so many amazing options at NMWA and Namu that I don't think I'll ever run out of outerwear to drool over.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know that I page comes on my feed a lot and I don't get it. It seems to get a lot of praise but it looks so cheap and like a high school sewing class project.

A bunch of meme-y anime patches and drawings. It's like an e-boy nightmare.

So yes buy 2 to rotate.

Last edited:

PeteyPajamapant

Reaction score
Can someone talk some sense into me?

I grabbed the gray glen plaid KS Traveler Coat, but the more I evaluate my wardrobe, the more I feel like maybe I'd be better served with the green or brown glen plaid? I realized a lot of my wardrobe is browns, blues, oranges, reds... Just seems like the olive or brown works better with those. Not that the gray doesn't, but I think the gray might be better with blues and blacks.

I mostly end up just wearing jeans and tan wallabees anyway, so I don't think it matters toooooo much. Just looking for my most versatile option since I don't have too many coats in the first place. Coats in question:
1605883746729.png

1605883754758.png

1605883762923.png

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solid will always be more versatile than patterned for a coat, so it comes down to how many coats you already have and whether you really need versatile (hint: most of us here on SF do not)

Also, I think it's a misconception that the grey one will only work with blues and blacks

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pro tip from CM side: grey works with everything.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But "grey" isn't one colour. There are greys that are very neutral or ones that lean heavily into blue or green or brown. There are very dark almost black greys and ones that are almost white and everything in between. So it's hard to say that grey works with everthing; a better way of putting it might be that there is a grey for everything.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But "grey" isn't one colour. There are greys that are very neutral or ones that lean heavily into blue or green or brown. There are very dark almost black greys and ones that are almost white and everything in between. So it's hard to say that grey works with everthing; a better way of putting it might be that there is a grey for everything.

Pro tip from CM side: mid grey works with everything.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1606029363957.png

1606029390231.png

1606029403113.png

Open to other suggestions for similar sized blankets/throws. Trying to stay cozy this winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads