• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not the color, or not hats?
The polo horse tends to be what people who don't know any better reach for when they are trying to dress up. Put it on a faux aged trucker hat and you hit peak grandfather golfing in Florida or peak fashion cluelessness, (wait, those two are the same).

mak1277

Reaction score
The polo horse tends to be what people who don't know any better reach for when they are trying to dress up. Put it on a faux aged trucker hat and you hit peak grandfather golfing in Florida or peak fashion cluelessness, (wait, those two are the same).
I'm pretty much against advertising for any company on a hat I wear, unless it's something smaller/local/personal. I'd never buy a patagonia hat, for example. Why not get an actual baseball team hat if you're looking for something? Or a hat from your college? Or your state of birth/residence? Or a favorite vacation spot?

OccultaVexillum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is that different than a Patagonia hat?
You can be a fan of a brand label just like you can be a fan of a sports team or college.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW, I think the most importnat part of a baseball cap is the silhouette.

Ebbets Field Flannels, for example, has a crown that stands up off the head. It's basically reinforced with buckram underneath the forepart of the hat, like you find on most baseball caps. I find this style works best with Americana.

Some, such as four-panel hats, sit much closer to the crown. So do dad caps.

Some have longer or shorter bills.

I think the upside to that RL cap is that it'll go with most of the things Holly has posted here. But I also think he should buy slightly more interesting versions of those items (no offense to Holly)

mak1277

Reaction score
Why is that different than a Patagonia hat?
You can be a fan of a brand label just like you can be a fan of a sports team or college.
I mean, I guess that's true. That said, I've can't imagine anyone going up to a stranger and saying "hell yeah, Patagonia! High five!" So no, it's different.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I mean, I guess that's true. That said, I've can't imagine anyone going up to a stranger and saying "hell yeah, Patagonia! High five!" So no, it's different.
If someone high fived me over a baseball cap, I would respond with "sir, we're in a pandemic. Please stay six feet away"

OccultaVexillum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weird. I do that all time.
But I can’t imagine ever high fiving somebody over the existence of a college.

mak1277

Reaction score
If someone high fived me over a baseball cap, I would respond with "sir, we're in a pandemic. Please stay six feet away"
As for me, the only thing I would break quarantine for right now is to attend a live baseball game.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.