• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would be used as a beater
When it comes to leather or indeed any hard-wearing jacket or coat (waxed cotton etc.) (or for that matter boots or denim) - what does it even mean to call something a 'beater'? All of these things are meant to be able to take the hard knocks, that's the way these kinds of clothes develop character - and the better quality the thing is the more it will be able to take it. If what you really mean is just 'cheap', and you have (or want) some more expensive leather that you are going to baby and keep wrapped up in your closet and only wear when there's no chance of anything happening, then don't buy the cheap thing at all, just buy the quality thing and wear the crap out of it; take care of it, sure, but wear it as it's supposed to be worn.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they mean B team, second string, junior varsity, not ready for prime time.

(I still don’t know if any of those will translate into British)

DoctorDisco

Reaction score
Flyingmonkey: Thanks for the input, i agree on what your saying. But i guess i'm not that sentimental when it comes to clothes, but was when younger. I just wanted an opinion on the look of the jacket. I like the brand - John Varvatos - and thought it could be a possible diy dye project for the future.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A

TenTriply

Reaction score
One thing that makes a beater a beater is you don’t feel you have to be precious with it. You won’t abuse it (too much), but you’ll just enjoy regular, enthusiastic use without worrying if you’ll ruin it.

Agreed?

When it comes to leather or indeed any hard-wearing jacket or coat (waxed cotton etc.) (or for that matter boots or denim) - what does it even mean to call something a 'beater'? All of these things are meant to be able to take the hard knocks, that's the way these kinds of clothes develop character - and the better quality the thing is the more it will be able to take it. If what you really mean is just 'cheap', and you have (or want) some more expensive leather that you are going to baby and keep wrapped up in your closet and only wear when there's no chance of anything happening, then don't buy the cheap thing at all, just buy the quality thing and wear the crap out of it; take care of it, sure, but wear it as it's supposed to be worn.

Alexidb

Reaction score
“what does it even mean to call something a 'beater...”

something you can beat on and not care if it gets destroyed.

hayaoyamaneko

Reaction score

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 7.19.39 PM.png

Beige/white stripe linen blazer

Not sure how well it works as an odd jacket - what color pants could I pair it with? Not sure the dark navy in the pic above works?

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“what does it even mean to call something a 'beater...”

something you can beat on and not care if it gets destroyed.
Obviously I know what 'beater' means, literally. The question I was asking was a little bit (not much, but a little bit) deeper than that, more about how we wear clothes and what we think they are for.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been looking at this for a while... should I?
Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 8.58.38 PM.png

45r @ 70% off, but still over $200

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.