• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flannel season is coming. Really tempted by these... Both Iron Heart.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Flannel season is coming. Really tempted by these... Both Iron Heart.

View attachment 1258824 View attachment 1258825 View attachment 1258827 View attachment 1258828

both of those look good. be sure to size up as iron heart flannels run kinda slim.

View attachment 1258330
View attachment 1258332

EG cord loiter or Portuguese Flannel cord chore coat? Both look great in certain fit pics. I’m unfamiliar with PF fit, but people are asking $400 for the EG now, which, you know... :cloud:

I mainly want assurance I can get away with wearing the chore coat indoors, like a blazer.

both of those also look good. i like the second one marginally more, but i assume they'd both work in the same kind of outfits.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
both of those look good. be sure to size up as iron heart flannels run kinda slim.

Iron Heart are really well-made shirts.

But just a note on Japanese brands in case the OP doesn't know: it's not that just that many run slim, Japanese sizes are a whole single size different from US sizes to begin with. So Japanese L is American M, M is American S, and then you have to factor in the relative slimness. I'm a clear S for casual shirts in North American brands, but a definite M in all Japanese workwear brands I've tried here (including Sugar Cane, Studio d'Artisan, Iron Heart, UES, Burgus Plus and Momotaro) and I'm pushing the edge of some of those with the shoulders. With brands like Kapital which have their own idiosyncratic ideas about size, it gets even more complicated...

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

both of those also look good. i like the second one marginally more, but i assume they'd both work in the same kind of outfits.
Iron Heart are really well-made shirts.

But just a note on Japanese brands in case the OP doesn't know: it's not that just that many run slim, Japanese sizes are a whole single size different from US sizes to begin with. So Japanese L is American M, M is American S, and then you have to factor in the relative slimness. I'm a clear S for casual shirts in North American brands, but a definite M in all Japanese workwear brands I've tried here (including Sugar Cane, Studio d'Artisan, Iron Heart, UES, Burgus Plus and Momotaro) and I'm pushing the edge of some of those with the shoulders. With brands like Kapital which have their own idiosyncratic ideas about size, it gets even more complicated...

Yeah tell me about it. I am usually a size M or L, but I always need to size up at least one size in Japanese clothes. In these IH shirts I am even choosing between XL and XXL! I've never worn a XXL in anything before... ?‍♂️

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah tell me about it. I am usually a size M or L, but I always need to size up at least one size in Japanese clothes. In these IH shirts I am even choosing between XL and XXL! I've never worn a XXL in anything before... ?‍♂️

Check the IH fit chart on the IHUK site and compare them to one of your existing shirts to get an idea of fit. Their measurements are fairly close to the posted numbers but they average those numbers. Sizing up is a good idea to account for shrinkage during wash, but that depends on how you wash your clothes. I have quite a few of UHF's and most of them are in my usual size, but I have a handful where I sized up.

I'd go for the red buffalo check over the blue check, but only because it's a 12oz UHF and made with aspero cotton and is brushed on the inside. UHF's are incredibly warm if that's what you're after. The blue check to my understanding is about 10oz and unbrushed. Side note, beware that the work shirt cut is different than the western cut so take that into consideration. A lot of people size up in the western but others stay true to size for the work cut

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the IH fit chart on the IHUK site and compare them to one of your existing shirts to get an idea of fit. Their measurements are fairly close to the posted numbers but they average those numbers. Sizing up is a good idea to account for shrinkage during wash, but that depends on how you wash your clothes. I have quite a few of UHF's and most of them are in my usual size, but I have a handful where I sized up.

Good info. Have you had any shrinkage with your flannels? I though that they always shrunk at least half a size - I think it's even written on the IHUK site... Anyway, I will probably wash them in 40 degs C with no softener and then hang dry. Should I expect to become significantly smaller?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads