• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh. I would look them up on C&J’s site and see what they list for there unless they make something completely different for Cleverely.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those loafers are a bit too pointy for my taste, but some guys look great in that kind of shoe. It mostly depends on your wardrobe and sense of style. FWIW, I think it's easier to get away with that sleek last if you have smaller feet. At some point, the silhouette doesn't really work for larger sizes.

I think that kind of shape works better for guys who like a very internet-y Italian look (don't mean that pejoratively but don't have any other way of describing it). It also works with slimmer clothes. If it were me, I'd go with Alden's unlined loafers, but they're more conservative-looking and some guys don't like that.

I wouldn't let the 40% off influence your decision though. Ask yourself whether you'd pay for them if they were full price and don't let the fact they're on sale influence your decision.

BlairW

Reaction score
Kind of pointy. C&J Harvard's in suede are unlined and have a little more room in the toe box. depends, or course, on one's feet.
Huh. I would look them up on C&J’s site and see what they list for there unless they make something completely different for Cleverely.

They look very similar to their Bury II which are listed at $730 pounds

BlairW

Reaction score
Those loafers are a bit too pointy for my taste, but some guys look great in that kind of shoe. It mostly depends on your wardrobe and sense of style. FWIW, I think it's easier to get away with that sleek last if you have smaller feet. At some point, the silhouette doesn't really work for larger sizes.

I think that kind of shape works better for guys who like a very internet-y Italian look (don't mean that pejoratively but don't have any other way of describing it). It also works with slimmer clothes. If it were me, I'd go with Alden's unlined loafers, but they're more conservative-looking and some guys don't like that.

I wouldn't let the 40% off influence your decision though. Ask yourself whether you'd pay for them if they were full price and don't let the fact they're on sale influence your decision.

That’s good advice, and I do have fairly big feet too. Just not so keen on the rounded loafers. Re the price I don’t know about that, I mean I can stomach paying around $600 nzd which I can get the Cleverleys for, but I can’t handle spending over a grand which I think I would have to if I looked at the likes of C&J or Alden

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harvard’s were $495 USD here in DC. Isn’t the pound about to crash to dollar-parity this fall? ?

There I go getting political again...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m kind of souring on Alden and moving to C&J. Try their Sydney's if you want a less-rounded fit.

BlairW

Reaction score
Harvard’s were $495 USD here in DC. Isn’t the pound about to crash to dollar-parity this fall? ?

There I go getting political again...

You might be right, god knows what will happen to the nzd given we’re part of the commonwealth

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, your a Kiwi! Worked with your crew in AFG. Good, no great, folks. My boss got an All Blacks Jersey when we rotated home. ??

(Not wearing reading glasses, hope I got the flag right!)

BlairW

Reaction score
Oh, your a Kiwi! Worked with your crew in AFG. Good, no great, folks. My boss got an All Blacks Jersey when we rotated home. ??

(Not wearing reading glasses, hope I got the flag right!)

Sure am! And yes correct flag too

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure am! And yes correct flag too
Isn’t it like 4AM, Feb 20, 1972 there now? Can’t keep track of time zones... ?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oversight on some retailers part.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads