1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

1. DLester

DLester Distinguished Member

I have that navy Valstar and love it. I have the camel as well and may pick up the sage version this sale season.

2. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

I had a different experience with the Valstar suede trucker. I did not like the silhouette on me (taking my typical size) and thought the make was merely average. Ymmv, of course. I returned it despite buying it at a substantially discounted price.

3. cbusguy

cbusguy Senior Member

i did't like the fit of it on me and returned it too. it was too short and boxy. i needed it to be slimmer and longer

4. DLester

DLester Distinguished Member

I hear you - there are plenty of jackets I like on other people, but they just don't work for me. Especially anything with narrow shoulders or that is really cropped.

For what it is worth, Valstar has two different fits for their trucker - regular and slim. I have both.

5. yunBW

yunBW Senior Member

Looking for some brand suggestions for some comfortable loafer that accommodate high instep and slight wide feet.

Currently my Carlos santos loafer hurts a lot after wear for a while and always give me blister even though I give quite some time to break in. So I was thinking about the loafer from Gucci as the leather is soft and sole is flexible, but It never goes on sale.

Thank you

EDIT: I really value the comfort a lot more because I have to stay in studio for a long period and there are a lot of times I’ll be walking around. So something somewhat formalish and presentable while being comfortable. Also, I’m not restricted to shoemaker brands only, as my style is slightly more “streetwear” than classic men wear

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019

6. DavidLane

DavidLane Distinguished Member

I have very similar fit issues. I got these last year and love them. I sized down 1 full from my US size.

https://www.carminashoemaker.us/mens-loafers/penny-loafers-tobacco-suede-80579

7. yunBW

yunBW Senior Member

8. DavidLane

DavidLane Distinguished Member

Yes. They are the flex soles, they are still leather so not as soft as rubber or crepe, but more forgiving and flexible than standard leather soles.

*Edit: The heel is narrow and tight fyi, but I think this is a good thing in a loafer, especially in unlined suede.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019

9. accordion

accordion Distinguished Member

Thinking of getting these Rising Star 1s to wear with Schneider. Old Response Trails are another option but not sure they'd work. Having a hard time finding new sneakers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also tempted by these Pradas:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019

10. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

I think you can do Schneider with a raf style sensibility and rock those kinds of sneakers. I was thinking about it but I wasn't sure if I could pull it off both from a personality sense and from my own stylistic sense

11. Callusing

Callusing Distinguished Member

Go for it. I like #1 the best. Raf's chunky sneakers (esp. Rising Stars and Osweegos) are still better than any chunky sneaker that's come since.

12. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

Response trails are rad but if you can find one of the other colours I think it would work better. Black/red/blue?

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Black suede is best foot boots but yeah, hard to use with jackets. Midnight blue could be a good compromise..

14. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

bear with me on this one.

ochre or charcoal for a pair of pajamas?

fwiw, i was thinking white piping on both.

RFZ8083.jpg RFZ8097.jpg

15. Timbaland

Timbaland Distinguished Member