1. MEGA EASTER EGG HUNT has started now! There will be $50, $100 eggs and a Golden Egg with a pair of St. Crispin's brown oxford shoes from Skoaktiebolaget inside!
  2. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

1. troika

troika Distinguished Member

Are these the yuketen model? Fwiw I found their initial run to be really great quality and wonderful leather quality (a big step up from Birkenstocks). Dunno about actuary wearibility/comfort as I couldnt get a size that worked for me, but I really enjoyed the aesthetic.

As far as that color, it will probably work if there's enough contrast with your skin tone or socks. I'm sure they'll darken nicely over time as well.

2. bencap

bencap Well-Known Member

I like those sandals. Is the outsole crepe?

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Senior Member

No, those soles are terrible, and the whole package just looks very shoddy.

4. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Distinguished Member

5. GunwashAce

GunwashAce Well-Known Member

Think I'm gonna go with the majority and skip 'em. I just want a good summer poolside slide and these look like they'd take up too much real estate in a weekend bag.

Think I might go for: Hender Scheme Slides.

6. gettoasty

gettoasty Stylish Dinosaur

Is this Plaza last by Alden versatile? I've been looking for a pair of suede loafers for a long time, from Bauodoin & Lange, Barbanera, Meermin, Castaner, and everything in between.

The Alden Van last is a little too rounded to my eye but in some photos online it almost has the same shape as Bauodoin & Lange. Granted the length of the shoe can change the shape perception (i.e. depending on feet size). Saw this Alden suede loafer on the Plaza last and has a more appealing toe shape. A few photos online reveal the Plaza last can be a great option for boots.

Still, the Bauodoin & Lange is very attractive. I am cognizant of the fact that since I am a big fan of Eidos and Italian casual dress in general, I may be brainwashed from all the menswear spreads online with the tapered, no break pants falling so elegantly above the shoes. And although I enjoy dressing like this for work I do more than occasionally like to wear jeans and more casual pants. Understandably I may need more than one pair of loafer to fit different dress, so, I need some help narrowing it down to two versatile pairs. Barbanera does some great work too except they do not seem to offer a suede loafer this season. Anyone?

These are the Alden on the Plaza last btw. It maybe too sleek to wear with jeans perhaps but I can imagine it at home with odd trousers and a tucked OCBD or the like. I especially like the side profile. The color is versatile too, it is snuff suede I believe. I have other loafers FWIW, Lemaire almond toe in black calf, Barbanera "AKC" in deerskin, Christian Kimber navy suede. Need to add some brown colors in lighter shades, tobacco and tan perhaps. Not sure how I feel about dark brown suede.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Stylish Dinosaur

Lof & Tung maybe from Skoaktiebolaget

8. gettoasty

9. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

I’ve always been partial to Carmina’s rain and uetam lasts

upload_2019-4-19_22-42-31.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-19_22-42-49.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-19_22-43-56.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-19_22-44-28.jpeg

10. gettoasty

I am on the fence with Carmina only because I had two pairs of their shoes early on before discovering Vass. Rain last never did quite fit me right. For their loafers Uetam last definitely looks more balanced to my eye. Good point on Carmina since they a lot of shops carry their shoes so will make for easy shopping.

Edit:
    I think a big part of me is crossing my fingers and trying to hold out for Barbanera to reissue this pair.

clothes-that-make-you-feel-at-home-L-zGvQmq.png

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019 at 7:55 PM