• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Junglejack

Reaction score
Perhaps a more upscale vest might work. The kind that you could wear in more formal settings. Kinda like those suave, tweed vests you often see in the UK.

bencap

Reaction score
They stain easily. That's about my only thought on them, it's kinda hard to have a strong opinion one way or another about hoodies.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Buttero boots would look so good without the paint.
I just picked up the non-painted ones in black suede, model is Quentin, and I love em. Nice high almost-Cuban/Hollywood heel, sleek but not too sleek. The heel makes it.

I sized down a full size (my usual size is 10 D / 43 and I went with 42). They are definitely snug in the upper above the arch and need to break in a bit there. Toe box is right and there is no heel slip. If you are a half size, maybe don't size down. For me this is the right size.

Buttero is an incredible value. I will definitely get one or two more in time.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
41796318jn_14_f.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I feel like hoodies are about as close as you can get to a basic, but I never wear mine. Prefer sweatshirts. If I was getting one though, I think vanilla off-white would be easier to wear than actual white. White can be kind of stark for a knit.

Also not into that brown zip-up above.

Regarding vest, I think that would be easier to wear if the design was more directional. Like weirder with more pockets. Even an LL Bean fishing vest. Vests that have a sorta classic menswear vibe, even workwear, worn alone or not underneath another jacket kinda seem neckbeardy to me.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want some hardy yet lounge type wear at home. Looking at stuff like TS(S), maybe even EG. Naissance? Abasi? I have the track suit from TS(S) still saved in my NMWA wishlist. I guess I also want luxe but may just opt for Uniqlo. Might check out Muji again. I'm basically in my LL Bean robe during the weekends and want to change that up. I want to be able to transition from home to outside without changing.

Alexidb

Reaction score
My one reservation about the EGXBarbour vest is the lack of lower handwarmer pockets. It always bothers me when jackets don’t have handwarmer pockets. I tried rocking a Filson Upland vest for a minute, but the fit was so awkward. They’re made to wear over a coat. I’m just not digging the fishing vest thing. Well any whatever here’s the Filson.
7EAA423A-9AF0-43D8-81A4-972E12557D32.jpeg

Regarding vest, I think that would be easier to wear if the design was more directional. Like weirder with more pockets. Even an LL Bean fishing vest. Vests that have a sorta classic menswear vibe, even workwear, worn alone or not underneath another jacket kinda seem neckbeardy to me.

cbusguy

Reaction score
I want some hardy yet lounge type wear at home. Looking at stuff like TS(S), maybe even EG. Naissance? Abasi? I have the track suit from TS(S) still saved in my NMWA wishlist. I guess I also want luxe but may just opt for Uniqlo. Might check out Muji again. I'm basically in my LL Bean robe during the weekends and want to change that up. I want to be able to transition from home to outside without changing.

my choices for loungewear. this is stuff i wear out, but it's pretty casual

some patagonia pile fleece deal with baggies pants
22800_NVYB_OM1.jpg

patagonia-Blue-Baggies-Pant.jpeg

battenwear warm-up fleece and climbing pants
03-09-2016_battenwear_warmupfleece_camel-_ah_m3.jpg

battenwear--Climbing-Pants.jpeg

adidas superstar tracksuit (my pick)
15336-group-1

if you can't get behind adidas tracksuit, nepenthes is good
650x325_48b7eff200cf7b0c91af0a2d1884c54f.jpg

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah part of it is also avoiding to have to turn on the heater.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^:lol:

I feel like hoodies are about as close as you can get to a basic, but I never wear mine. Prefer sweatshirts. If I was getting one though, I think vanilla off-white would be easier to wear than actual white. White can be kind of stark for a knit.

Also not into that brown zip-up above.

Have to agree with this. I own exactly one hoodie and I only use it for the gym. I never use the hood and when I have it sort of fits tight, an older wings that I hate with ****** cotton and dye job. I may scoop another one I've seen that fits really well and feels good but it would be for athleisure as well. Hoodless is just more sleek and streamlined without the mall rat look as well. It's just cleaner with less bulk.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
my choices for loungewear. this is stuff i wear out, but it's pretty casual

some patagonia pile fleece deal with baggies pants
22800_NVYB_OM1.jpg

patagonia-Blue-Baggies-Pant.jpeg

battenwear warm-up fleece and climbing pants
View attachment 1136779
battenwear--Climbing-Pants.jpeg

adidas superstar tracksuit (my pick)
15336-group-1

if you can't get behind adidas tracksuit, nepenthes is good
650x325_48b7eff200cf7b0c91af0a2d1884c54f.jpg

The first nepenthes is great, wher2kop?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads