• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

White Lotus

Reaction score
00860539-4030-4390-B05A-DCBC35E536BD.jpeg
Opinions?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their marketing has got you there, the difference in price is minimal. Was quite excited when they announced the change, but prices have been mostly static.

Oh don't get me wrong, I never thought they would decrease prices. That's never happened, but it might keep them from going up in the future. Either way, it's a stand against fast cycles and quick fads.

Seoul Soul

Reaction score
principle coat.jpeg

I'm wondering about the Rag & Bone 'Principle' coat for a while. It's a one-of-a-kind (as far as I saw) reversible coat that's black on the outside and blue on the inside. The best thing about it, in my opinion, is how the black side looks when open.

https://www.rag-bone.com/mens/outerwear/reversible-principle-coat-M285216O7.html

At this price point, there a lots of options, plus I don't know much for sure about the Rag & Bone quality.

Last edited:

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Seoul Soul Don't pay $795 for it and you should be fine. I agree it's a cool design, though I'm certain (without knowing specific examples) you could find something similar in design from a brand like Stephan Schneider or maybe Lemaire. R&B quality is a big step up from past years in my experience, though, and given that you can probably expect to be able to grab it for $400-$500 at end-of-season, you could do worse.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Magee tweed coat? Im mostly concerned with the color (too light?), since I am wearing a lot of black.
mantel_8306_1.jpg

close up of tweed
mantel_8306_detail.jpg

Bernhard Roetzel, a menswear writer, is wearing the same coat here. It looks darker than in the product photos, and the styling is a little more classic than I would do, but you can kinda sorta get a sense of how it might look against a dark outfit.

Also here and here

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks alot @dieworkwear ! Whats your take on it?

I like it, but would prob crop it just a tiny bit. Maybe start with just below the knees, then go knee length later if I felt it was still too long.

I once had a coat that length and just generally found it too old school/ dramatic.

FWIW, I've never seen the coat in person, but Roetzel is one of those classic menswear guys who cares a lot about fit and and quality, and the coat looks nice in photos.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Magee tweed coat? Im mostly concerned with the color (too light?), since I am wearing a lot of black (and obviously in a completely different style than the model)
mantel_8306_1.jpg

close up of tweed
mantel_8306_detail.jpg

I have two Magee overcoats and highly recommend them. One in a navy wool/cashmere and another in a grey salt and pepper donegal tweed. They're built like tanks and will probably outlast me. Mine are the regular shouldered version with a light shoulder pad to give some structure and shape. I'm not cool enough to be able to rock the slouch-y raglan sleeves.

If you can, wait until the sales and buy directly from the Magee website in January/February when they really start slashing the prices and always seem to have a full range of sizes left. I picked up both of mine for €120 each.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Magee coat looks solid to me. Is it the Corrib model?

Just make sure it doesn't have the contrast suede undercollar panel thingy and throat latch (unless that's your thing). Seems to be a feature on some versions of the Corrib so best to check first.

magee-corrib-herringbone-donegal-tweed-overcoat-brown-collar.jpg
magee-corrib-herringbone-donegal-tweed-overcoat-brown-collar.jpg

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point. Not sure about the model - the tweed (and the lining) of the one on the german page is different from the ones on Magees homepage. Reminds me that I have a pair of pretty cozy heavy cords from Magee.

Consensus: the coat would make some sense with my gothy old town look?

edit: if anyone seems a similar coat in charcoal/black, let me know!

jtj48

Reaction score
Magee tweed coat? Im mostly concerned with the color (too light?), since I am wearing a lot of black (and obviously in a completely different style than the model)

close up of tweed

Black underneath seems like a really easy pairing here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yea, I don't know if I'd go black/ charcoal for a traditional overcoat and wear it over a black outfit. Might be too on the nose high-school goth. I think it could work if you were looking at a more avant garde silhouette/ clothes, like Yohji or something. But for a black workweary/ Old Town outfit, I'd do something like a grey herringbone traditional coat with slim black jeans/ trousers, black turtleneck sweater or long sleeved t-shirt, and black boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads