• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

White Lotus

Reaction score
Which color? Black or brown? And should I consider my skintone as well? Its pale yellow.
71B3F4CB-0E74-4B46-945C-7CC597E8B223.jpeg
0D4FE466-91C1-41E5-8ED1-4AC76FE5EECD.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Black one if you plan on wearing it with black jeans. Brown if you plan on wearing it with blue jeans.

The lack of non-black detailing on the black one might make it look weird in outfits that aren't similarly all-black. But it would look good with black jeans, black tee, and black boots.

White Lotus

Reaction score
Black one if you plan on wearing it with black jeans. Brown if you plan on wearing it with blue jeans.

The lack of non-black detailing on the black one might make it look weird in outfits that aren't similarly all-black. But it would look good with black jeans, black tee, and black boots.
I only own black jeans but I plan to wear the jacket with pants (navys and greys). I don’t wear all black a lot and i own an EG double cloth black bomber too... can i wear the brown one with black trousers/jeans?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I only own black jeans but I plan to wear the jacket with pants (navys and greys). I don’t wear all black a lot and i own an EG double cloth black bomber too... can i wear the brown one with black trousers/jeans?

Hard to say without trying stuff on and just seeing how it works. But personally, if I were planning to wear that with grey or black pants, I'd go with the black one.

When I see the brown one, I think of blue jeans, white t-shirts, and brown boots. Like a classic workwear look. The black one feels darker, moodier, and much more contemporary.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: watches, I started getting into them ~18 months ago and these days more of my interest (and money) goes toward them than clothes. My personal roster includes (or will soon include):

91vJ1J90H3L._UY879_.jpg

G-Shock MTG
My first relatively expensive watch. Got it because Robert Geller used em in a couple of his runway shows. It's huge, but I like it. It's still my daily driver, and it's on my wrist 80% of the time, including right now.

maxresdefault.jpg

Greg Stevens GSD-1A
This one is also huge; his new 3A is much more reasonably sized. But it is what it looks like - a big, fat, tough field watch that looks and feels like it can take a beating.

HALIOS_SEAFORTH_GROUP_2.jpg

Halios Seaforth
(I have the one on the left en route) I don't have this one in-hand yet, but it should be here by the end of the month. And from everything I've seen of it, it's just about the perfect beach watch.

And then I'm gradually saving up to get a Damasko DC66, a Sinn EZM 3 (or EZM 13), and maybe a Tudor North Flag, Oak & Oscar Jackson and/or Orion Calamity.

Personally, I don't like classic-looking watches - the Seaforth and the Oak & Oscar are the closest I'll go - they're just not my vibe. But for most people they're probably the best.

Frankly, if I had to only wear/own one watch, I'd probably just get a red-bezeled Tudor Black Bay. But that's no fun.

baltimoron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to say without trying stuff on and just seeing how it works. But personally, if I were planning to wear that with grey or black pants, I'd go with the black one.

When I see the brown one, I think of blue jeans, white t-shirts, and brown boots. Like a classic workwear look. The black one feels darker, moodier, and much more contemporary.

Classic swd, ‘mood, perspective, and other bullshit’ :foo:

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watches are tough. I would recommend sticking with something classic like a Rolex Sub or Omega Speedmaster. Those two watches/designs will be around forever. If you are looking for something basic, cheap and classic you can't beat a vintage Hamilton field watch. It would obviously not work with a suit, but would be at home with workwear/denim. They are everywhere, and can look nice on a single piece black shell cordovan strap or a green nylon NATO strap. They are a bit small 34mm I believe, but still wears great.

Here is mine with a brown suede NATO. Fixed lugs can even be drilled out if you want to wear it with standard watch straps.
IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_1973.JPG

DL-

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely like my Hamilton. Though for something like a 5 zip, I think smaller techy looking Casios (not the fat G Shocks) and some very simple plastic-y Swatches might look better. That all depends on how you style it, I suppose.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Indigo scarf with little paisleys on it or tan scarf with little block prints?

Realize this prob depends on what I'm wearing with it. I haven't figured that out yet, but I imagine the indigo one would go with a charcoal herringbone topcoat and tan scarf with a choco suede bomber. Mostly wondering which looks nicer.

scf-sfcos-18067-001.jpg

scf-sfcos-18067-001_1.jpg

scf-sfcot-18069-001.jpg

scf-sfcot-18069-001_2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads