1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. yunBW

yunBW Senior Member

My thought of a designer cardholder is somewhat similar to yours. I think it just add a bit more personality for yourselves and what you enjoy. I feel when I’m paying for that’s price range there must be something that stands out from the typical mall brand wallet either the color (CM), or design (designer brand). I think I will add a wallet for the summer sale. Since the sales kinda got picked over.

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Stylish Dinosaur

Vass 3 eyelet derby in brown scotch grain calf. This pair is Manton's back in 2009, I wear a size 40.5 so there probably will not be so much vamp space... some of the oldies here probably remember this. Maybe I should just go plain brown calf? Putting this up for posterity also because I finally figured out how to retrieve dead imgur links. The internet is amazing!

[​IMG]

3. HollyJoint

HollyJoint Senior Member

Do you think it's possible to combine a smart casual style with these shoes, a chino / shorts and a shirt or a polo?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. troika

troika Distinguished Member

Derek.

DEREK.

Do you even styleforum bro?

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Distinguished Member

I think brown scotch grain would work better than plain calf, just cause the texture helps visually break up the leather on the vamp. Unless there's something going on, like a very shapely last (e.g. Saint Crispins), sometimes a very plain derby can look a bit too plain.

In CM contexts, those would probably be better for more rustic outfits. Tweed sport coats and flannel trousers type stuff. Too casual for dark business suits. I know you were looking for something versatile, so maybe something to consider.

If you get a derby from Vass in brown calf, I personally think some kind of design is better -- wingtip, semi brogue, quarter brogue, apron toe, split toe, etc. There's an austerity to plain derbies that I like in certain casual outfits, but feels a bit too austere for coat-and-tie type fits.

6. gettoasty

@dieworkwear TBH I don't know what I really want anymore. So many good options. Cordovan also looks good but from my browsing seems like pain in the ass to maintain versus calf.

TBH my initial request was to get a pair of 3 eyelet in cordovan. IMO the way shell is suppose to age with rolls would look fantastic across the vamp and bring an otherwise plain toe some character. (However, reading @gdl203 comment in the first few pages of the Vass thread has me thinking twice about shell.) I actually stumbled across the exact makeup on the Vass instagram and looked good in my eyes.

unnamed.jpg

I know I want something dark and can be at home with both suits (not necessarily CBD) as well as odd pants. I have a pair of Norwegers so split toe seems redundant. Apron toe has been another option I've been considering based on this pic. Going to be patient with this one and really consider all options..

[​IMG]

7. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

I find shell easier to care for than calf. Aesthetically it has a depth of color that you won't find in calf.

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Distinguished Member

Haven't you heard? Donald Trump wants us to take in more Norwegians.

DTzKQ46VQAAi6u3.jpg

9. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018 at 10:39 AM

10. troika

troika Distinguished Member

11. gettoasty

12. Baron

Baron Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Since you're an excavator of lost Manton photos, I've been looking for a thread he started about John Lobb Paris bespoke with a picture of a dark brown punch cap that has grown steadily more perfect in my memory in the intervening years. I'll probably be disappointed when I see them again, but I can't freaking find the thread. The thread title was something like JLP is the Shit but that doesn't turn up anything.