Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

The issue is really the length of the jacket, not the buttoning point. The reason why the buttoning point is so high is because the jacket itself is really short. If you had the buttoning point at its traditional position, which is the waist, then the buttons would be too close to the hem. That would make the bottom half of the jacket look weird. Short jackets all have high buttoning points for that reason -- as you lift the hem up, everything else has to follow (buttoning point, gorge, etc).

Anyway, I think OP should pass on the jacket. If you keep it though, this seems like one of those examples where the coat would look better worn open than closed. When you fasten it like that, all the things that make the proportions look less than great are exaggerated (e.g. the buttoning point issue).

Lots of CM jackets don't have anything in the shoulders. The Armoury's travel jackets, Bogolioli's K line, P Johnson Tailors, and English Cut's new MTM program (to be debuted later this year or next year). Also available without vents.

2. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Senior member

Absolutely, fully agree. That's why I said it's a concomitant of the short length. Maybe I should have stressed that the buttons are too high for the wearer, not for the jacket.

As for vents, I am firmly in the (traditionally-minded) CM camp, if for no other reason than that vents make sitting down in a suit/sports coat so much less awkward. On the other hand, the shorter the jacket, the less need there is for vents, so I guess considering the trend over the last decade or so toward shorter suits and sports coats, it's only consistent that vents are falling out of favour...