Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

The issue is really the length of the jacket, not the buttoning point. The reason why the buttoning point is so high is because the jacket itself is really short. If you had the buttoning point at its traditional position, which is the waist, then the buttons would be too close to the hem. That would make the bottom half of the jacket look weird. Short jackets all have high buttoning points for that reason -- as you lift the hem up, everything else has to follow (buttoning point, gorge, etc).

Anyway, I think OP should pass on the jacket. If you keep it though, this seems like one of those examples where the coat would look better worn open than closed. When you fasten it like that, all the things that make the proportions look less than great are exaggerated (e.g. the buttoning point issue).

Lots of CM jackets don't have anything in the shoulders. The Armoury's travel jackets, Bogolioli's K line, P Johnson Tailors, and English Cut's new MTM program (to be debuted later this year or next year). Also available without vents.

2. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Senior member

Absolutely, fully agree. That's why I said it's a concomitant of the short length. Maybe I should have stressed that the buttons are too high for the wearer, not for the jacket.

As for vents, I am firmly in the (traditionally-minded) CM camp, if for no other reason than that vents make sitting down in a suit/sports coat so much less awkward. On the other hand, the shorter the jacket, the less need there is for vents, so I guess considering the trend over the last decade or so toward shorter suits and sports coats, it's only consistent that vents are falling out of favour...

3. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

4. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I probably sound overly dismissive of CM, and I agree that no matter what approach you take, the regular old conventions of how to dress at least exist and your own approach to dressing falls somewhere in relation to them (following, tweaking, flaunting, &c.). I'm not sure how much I'm going to get from that side of the board that I didn't already get from reading Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser however many years ago.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll poke around at some of those brands. I thought Boglioli was always vented, but maybe they're worth another look. I'm a little skeptical of being able to find everything I'm looking for (ventless, soft non-wool fabric, casual, soft shoulder, flap-less pockets, slim-ish fit) without veering off into crazy MTM / MTO territory.

5. dieworkwear

The RTW ones will be vented, but some of those are MTO/ MTM, which will give you the option of having almost whatever you want, so long as it's within range of their house style. Boglioli is RTW.

From your description though, that does sound more like something you'd get from a SWD RTW brand.

6. notwithit

Yeah...I think I want to stick to SW&D brands here. I looked up a few of those and it's all very MC-looking even if it's on the MC casual side. Also, those look like they're at least a grand a piece while HWL can be found on sale for sub-$200. IDK, the only thing I'd say is an actual hole in my wardrobe at this point is something in the brown / tan / camel (maybe taupe) color range, and I'm in no rush to find something.

7. Zassiliss

Zassiliss Senior member

Love mine, but there's this weird range of temps you can wear this in because it's a super thick fabric but unlined--its too awesome to matter usually though

8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Uh oh, considering how warm it's been here lately... what's this range you speak of?

9. John L

John L Senior member

Eidos has a couple in exactly what you're describing. I have a indigo seersucker jacket I got from them for Summer and, apparently, Fall weather that fits the bill: ventless, flapless, casual, etc.

They also build their jackets like they're not in a perpetual state of 2011.

10. dieworkwear

Thoughts on green vs. burgundy? Will be wearing with black or blue jeans.

20170920012.jpg
    20170920013.jpg

11. notwithit

Personally I like the green more than the burgundy, but I feel like they're both nice and there are a lot of factors involved. Green's probably more versatile.

Awesome, I'll definitely check them out. 2011 was a great time for raw denim, SNS Herning stark cardigans, and TOJ leathers, though.

12. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Senior member

@cyc wid it
    Perfect for Bay Area, except at our hottest, if it’s the normal sashiko, as opposed to the super heavy stuff. I wear my sashiko jackets with light linen/cotton underneath on warm days and sweaters (from light to heavy) on cool days.

13. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Cool jacket! I think I'd wear green more often. I can never seem to make burgundy work even though I have a few thigns.