Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. mr.invincible

mr.invincible Senior member

Looking to buy a topcoat.

Uniqlo chesterfield coat vs jcrew topcoat? Is jcrew thicker or are they equivalent? Is uniqlos chesterfield worth $129?

2. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

J.Crew is probably thicker. But also much more expensive. What are you wearing under it? I find J.Crew's coats to fit small.

3. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

On jackets, or on anything?

4. Longtom

Longtom New Member

Uniqlo is normally great quality for the price

5. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

i hate patch pockets on everything, but understand that they will be a mainstay on many things like lab coats...

but fuck them on blazers and sport coats

6. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

So...kind of. I have maybe four blue jackets that I actually wear, but three of them are more in the sweater / sweatshirt category and I don't really wear them for work. The other one is a Uniqlo comfort jacket from a while back that has more grey in it than this, which is a much more saturated color. This one has the advantage of being a little heavier than the Uniqlo jacket (better for fall) and feeling a little sturdier (no offense to Uniqlo), plus it's got a little stretch and elbow patches that I like for no defensible reason.

I have one other cotton blend Harris Wharf jacket, which is pretty similar to this (not sure whether the length is similarly hate-inducing) in dark grey, and it's probably my most-worn jacket (followed by the aforementioned Uniqlo jacket). I have two wool ones (grey herringbone and rust brown / orange) that I'm probably going to get rid of because I don't wear them that much (true of most of my wool stuff).

Anyway, it's basic and boring, but I'm basic and boring 90% of the time, and it's casual enough to go with jeans and a t-shirt without being so casual that it would look off with chinos and a button-down. It's kind of redundant, but probably something I'd wear somewhat frequently.

All the feedback on length is giving me pause, though. Maybe Harris Wharf is a brand that only works on shorter guys. Unfortunate, because I really, really like that their jackets are ventless (another indefensible preference, but I hate vents on casual jackets, particularly when they're on the shorter side), relatively slim-fitting, and nails the aforementioned casual-but-not-too-casual note.

Patch pockets are awesome on blazers and sportcoats on the casual end of the spectrum. Screw jetted / besom / welted pockets on anything that's not business or formal.

Meet me outside Uniqlo. We can shop for patch-pocket blazers together.