Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

2. sipang

sipang Senior member

Dries boots have an outside zipper, immediate disqualitifcation

3. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

[​IMG]

They're all pretty nice except the Prada.

Did you size down 1 or 0.5 or take your usual size?

What if the zipper is obscured by artisanal detritus carefully sourced from a craft supplies store?

[​IMG]

https://www.spenceclothing.com/stor...-mm22-leather-embellished-boots-art69542.html

4. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

The Herte are nice but just not as thick/chunky as I’m looking for right now.
    I like these Heschung too:

6EC92251-F529-4878-A3BC-DEA2E90B8D30.jpeg

They’re still on the sleeker side, and have the cap toe, but the lug sold helps give it something.

And thanks everybody for the suggestions, I realize I pretty much said “nah” to everything but I genuinely do appreciate it. A lot of suggestions are cool just not what I’m looking for. The Vis 7-hole folks are dope as shit but it definitely looks better with what Synth and G Trans wear than what I do.

I have a habit of just looking at designers I usually look at , except for those Prada, so I figure it’s better to ask people who have different preferences.

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

My Brannock size is 9. Inside of the boot is marked 8, but I don't know if that's a US or UK size. I remember the sizing being really weird with this brand. TBH, wouldn't buy from a place that doesn't offer returns. Or at least reliable and informed sizing advice.

6. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

@dieworkwear how much difference does the reverse welt make for waterproofing for your normal activities (which are probably similar to my usage, aka not actually hiking or shit stomping through puddles/snow storms)? vass mto boot looks mighty tempting after all this boot talk in this and RFT threads...

7. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

I have several pairs of Heschungs and for each pair I went down 2 sizes from my true US size to the size marked on the shoes/boots. Best to order from a shop that allows easy returns.

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

There are different kinds of waterproof/ water resistant constructions. Here are four, for example. Illustrations are from my shoemaker, Nicholas Templeman, who drew these out for me last year. They show Veldtschoen (which is basically a stitchdown), storm welt, Norwegian, and Norwegian storm. Only thing missing here is the sock on the shoe, but you get the general point ...

unnamed.jpg

Veldtschoen is very flexible, but not that waterproof. It's a very simple construction though and has been used for many popular boot styles on this board. Water here is mostly likely going to soak up from the sole, but since it's used in styles such as desert boots, the design assumes you're not stepping in that many puddles.

Norwegian storm welt is on the other end of the spectrum, where you have a ton of protection, but it's also absurdly chunky and will take forever to break-in. Stylistically, it'll also require a very thick leather for the uppers to match it.

This stuff is more water resistant than Blake or Blake/ Rapid constructions, cause those have stitching that goes straight through the sole of the shoe. But I don't know. I used to have to hike through snow in Moscow, but even in Canada, where I spend holidays, the sidewalks are pretty clear of slush. Assuming you have a Goodyear welted shoe made with a sturdy rubber bottom (say, Dainite or Ridgeway soles), which won't soak up moisture as much as leather, I think you're fine. @LA Guy apparently lives a super rugged lifestyle and needs clothes to match, but I feel like my day-to-day is a little closer to your typical cubicle farmer.

That said, I think the stuff above is cool. And I have boots with various welt constructions, just so I can wear them out in bad weather. It's more fantasy than anything. You put on a Nigel Cabourn Arctic parka, some SNS Herning fisherman sweater, 21oz jeans, and some storm welted boot and ... walk two blocks to the cafe, where you'll surf the internet.

Currently having Nicholas make me a modified version of JM Weston's Chasse, which is a super chunky Norwegian welted, triple sole hunt derby. Mine will be a bit more toned down, but designed for bad weather. But it's purely for fun; not really cause the stuff adds anything to my practical life.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017 at 5:05 PM

9. WBaker

WBaker Senior member

s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Not really a should I buy, I want these, they just happen to be vintage and silly expensive and id go leaving them on a counter somewhere...

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think that pretty much any goodyear welted boot with a lug sole or other non-slip sole would work for you. For real weather, you need goretex, and that's all there is to that. I wouldn't say that I live a super rugged lifestyle, but I definitely am probably living the most rugged lifestyle for a guy dressed head to toe in designer clothing.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Yup but not sure about current prices/availability.

Out of the 4 choices:
    1) nope: sole is too high/elevated, don't like the contrast from the side
    2) nope, same problem but the upper is also very different (beatup) from the other three, what are you looking for? Soft, punky and beatup or shiny S&M military?
    3) I dislike speed hooks so no, aside from that they look fine
    4) Best shape but speed hooks + zipper = wtf?

I guess the truth is that I'd be ok with any of them in an outfit but would have trouble buying when looking at them separately so maybe don't overthink it and get what you usually get and like (i.e. Jil or whatever).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017 at 6:08 PM

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

French bootmakers never use US sizing (AFAIK-I might have missed something), some of them use UK sizing though so your boots are simply 8.75 :p

They look great btw...