Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

You could get something from Whites too that would be sub $700 and last. Aesthetically close, but maybe not close enough...

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Heschung is a nice balance between slightly more interesting designs and solid build quality. They won't have that exaggerated silhouette of RO, but they'll look something like those Pradas.

Dries look the best of those four, but quality will likely be disappointing. Will definitely last for more than one or two seasons; the leather just won't age that well.

I bought these Heschungs from NMWA and like them. Dunno if they still have the model

best-doc-marten-style-boots-heschung.jpg

3. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

That is a good suggestion.

4. Callusing

Callusing Senior member

Jil all the way for me. I've owned / own a few pairs of Jil shoes/boots from the past couple years, and I've always been really impressed by the quality, especially of the leathers. They've all felt tough. I like that silhouette the best of the bunch, too, and expect it'll look great with a high or low hem. Only strike against them for me is the blind eyelets...I'm generally not a fan of them on combat-boot-ish silhouettes, but I like the rest of the boot enough I don't mind it as much here.

The Rick goodyears are cool, but I've got a pair (from the first season they were issued) and they're so big I've realized I'm never gonna wear them and I'm trying to sell them. You'd think black uber-Timbs would be easy to work into stuff, but they never don't look try-hard.

I've mentioned this elsewhere on SF, but I'm done with Dries footwear myself. Last 3 pairs I've tried have had really disappointing quality...crappy soles (lots of soft rubbers), mediocre at best leather. I like the design on that one (though I think that shape worked better with pebbled leather), but I'm guessing those will be lighter and less substantial than they look.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017 at 1:59 PM

5. Benjaminba

Benjaminba Senior member

I like the Jil boots. Maybe a pain to put on with the laces. A cheaper option could be these Buttero - could add a commando sole perhaps - but the Jil ones are nicer and cleaner.

edit: tried different picture link, but maybe you've seen this model already..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017 at 2:09 PM

6. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Never seen a pair of Vass that I like, I just spent 20 mins (not a long time tbh) and everything I found looked pretty awful.
    @dieworkwear those are the Panax right? I do like those, but not 100% on the cap toe. That was the only reason I didn’t buy them from NMWA. I’ve been looking at Heschung and Buttero but haven’t found anything in a black leather that I like. I liked a lot of the older Heschung models they made for OAMC, and I like OAMC’s in-house boots now but the Tactical Boots are only available in Asia (so not my size).

@Callusing yeah I guess that’s how I’m feeling on the Ricks. Cool on their own but they’re not going to fit easily with Geller/Lemaire/Dries/OAMC.

7. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

I would do the RO as first choice and the Prada as second choice, although I think they are pretty different and are not completely interchangeable.

I have had no issues with Dries' shoes or boots. They are not as well made as those from Edward Green, but they are durable enough for my usage.

I am a big fan of Heschung, but Heschung boots are likely more CM-oriented than what you are looking for.

8. OccultaVexillum

Picture isn’t showing for me.

@bry2000 I haven’t had problems with Dries shoes either, but they are definitely overpriced for the quality. The leather always cracks in a pretty igly way. Like I said I’m fine paying for design but even with that in mind the $1100 for the zip boots is a lot.

9. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

I bought Visvim 7 hole 73's, and definitely recommend them.

10. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

A far cheaper option than the other alternatives already posted, and not "designer" either for that matter, but I recently ordered these and I'm incredibly excited to receive them.
    Solovair-11-Eye-Derby-Boot-Black-Hi-Shine_02 (1).jpg
    http://www.solovair-shoes.com/product/11-eye-derby-boot/

Out of the ones you posted the Dries are pretty easily my favorites, followed by Jil.

11. Callusing

Callusing Senior member

12. OccultaVexillum

This would fall into the definition of going full retard for me though, they just aren’t something that appeals to me or I would really want to wear.

Either do those Solvairs. :/