• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
It's true, there are even a number of japanese brands too big for me, Viridi-Anne Size 1 fits good though and Julius, Lad Musician and a few other brands also would probably fit fine going by measurements on proxy websites. I'm a natural 27-28 inch waist so I usually end up wearing 25-26 in jeans and 27 in trousers, I do end up buying womens clothes a lot, though there are thinks you cannot buy womens such as suits, some pants and some shoes. It's definitely tough being as small as I am but when I get more funds I'll probably just suck it up and buy something slightly too big then get it altered as best as I can whilst keeping the proportions.
Every Julius pant in size 1 I've worn feels about like a size 30 trousers (non-denim). Thus, I would think these would be 3 inches too big in the waist for you! Oh, and a good percentage of Lad's stuff is over sized. I wear a size 42 in the tees and they range between 18.0 and 18.5" in the pit-to-pit depending on the model-- thus the so called size 42 should technically be labeled a size 44. I don't own one, but I believe the Lad blazers are actually more true to size. So be careful with the sizing on this brand if you're not familiar with it!

splattered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Snake, you handle criticism far better than most people I know. Unfortunately I feel that one has to waste a lot of money on clothing mistakes in order to learn anything via experimentation. But despite this, experimentation is still my preferred method of learning. My experience has been that perhaps 1/3 of my knowledge has come from SF and the other 2/3 from failed clothing experiments.

Here is another picture I found of the Julius pants. The stacking doesn't look so extreme in this picture where the model is slightly taller and has pulled the pants down to cover his boots.

cargo4.jpg

You guys are crazy, those cargos freakin rock

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
I totally understand and appreciate your point, but often I find having a style that is close to Julius (but slightly different) will look better than wearing head-to-toe Julius. And if for some reason my pairings do not work, I'll keep buying more stuff until I find the right pairings. Often I find trying something a bit different is a good way of evolving my style further.
Pretty sure i said if you wear that kinda style and never said to buy all yurius. There are plenty of brands that do darker, military toned, drapey and slim, shades of charcoal with some dirty rust, olives and drkshdw-ish colors. Not to say that i don't think the pants could be worn out of context because they could but you better be really good at styling yourself and putting together outfits with disparate pieces. Most people i've seen don't do this well which is why i cautioned sticking to a julius/drkshdw/cloak/geller kinda style. A lot of people here have nice pieces but less make the most out of them imo in terms of styling which is too bad. As in, those cargos look bad ass in that lookbook but they won't instantly make someone else look badass which i think people get confused when buying cool pieces from various brands. I think those cargos are easy enough to style though, especially as you said you like that brand and similar ones and own other pieces. May as well go for it if you really want them

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanting a pair of wingtips to wear with chinos. Both of these are AE around $300. Do you guys think the former has too much broguing?
195652_366_45.jpg

or

41WsgUcqAsL._AA280_.jpg

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Shonuff doesn't have any special hookups he gets all his stuff from the clearance racks at bloomingdales at south coast plaza, I think his wife or somebody just gets him employee discount there. Occasionally they do a double discount but it's not much.

yes sure i dont have any secrets just thought i asked him to pm so i can get a pair for myself tomorrow which could possibly be not the case if i just stated it here. and what is your mo against me anyways? i find it amusing you always try to downplay publicly whatever i say, or what you think i do at any time. "yeah dont mind shonuff he's a small timer and he's go no special hookups , this is all he does" ok dude.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Wanting a pair of wingtips to wear with chinos. Both of these are AE around $300. Do you guys think the former has too much broguing?

Would prefer the open lacing of the second for wear with cotton pants, although they look a little fashion-y for AE.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel there's just too much going on (zippers & buckles), but wondering what you guys think..
6872_1.jpg

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Would prefer the open lacing of the second for wear with cotton pants, although they look a little fashion-y for AE.

I also prefer that open lacing the more that I look at it. Is the 'fashion-y' statement bad? I figured for $300 bucks AE was the best quality I was going to get and I thought those looked a little more modern instead of classic.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
I feel there's just too much going on (zippers & buckles), but wondering what you guys think..
6872_1.jpg

I have an almost exact copy of that jacket... Only in soft leather. A jacket from Blue Blood, the Avalon line. Do like mine better though :p

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, the shortness was another thing I was on the fence about. Take off the buckles, add a few inches plz

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
I also prefer that open lacing the more that I look at it. Is the 'fashion-y' statement bad? I figured for $300 bucks AE was the best quality I was going to get and I thought those looked a little more modern instead of classic.

I thought you were talking about american eagle for a second there. WHEEW
laugh.gif

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wear shirts that are tucked in for example, or shirts that end on top of your belt, a short jacket does look rad. But I do think it has to be your style. I don't wear long or medium long jackets, compared to this fit. My BB Avalon jacket is dope! At least, that is my opinion.

Seeing this jacket in an other garment does look a bit repulsive in my eyes though... My jacket is black, and the zippers and buckles are like a bit of copper-like color. And the board that fits around the neckarea is different. So same cut, same characteristics, but quite a difference.

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wouldn't get a moto in anything but leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads