• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

pelicanese

Reaction score
I'd venture that most SF regulars know what Finamore is, and that they make a damn fine shirt. I think the issue rather is that we don't know who pelicanese is, so how can we say if it's appropriate for him, or if a serviceable Uniqlo or GV or Epaulet shirt would do just as well or better?

Yeah, I dig. Context is everything. Somebody said that & I believe it, so let me fill y'all in. I'm not fresh off the boat, I've lurked here some, & read a suspect amount of style blogs since those became a thing. But even though I've lurked I haven't used a forum in a long time, so (sorry) I didn't introduce myself in the appropriate thread.

As a younger student (25ish), I wore a tie almost every day & attempted my own versions classic menswear fits that, in retrospect, were pretty cartoonish &, though people praised me for them, ultimately unsuccessful. It was due to an unevenness -- for example, I got some wonderful m2m suits but wore em with uggo Jcrew button-ups from 2002. I can work well with color as a palette but when it came to the details of fit I was kind of clueless. When I realized how poorly it was going I started working instead on a casual disguise, culling my closet of things that I wished would work but simply did not, & trying to learn the basics before reinventing the wheel.

I've had a hard year financially, graduating college, unemployed, broke & basement-dwelling. But a few weeks ago I got a job in a company that straddles the line between the financial sector & tech, with office attire falling somewhat closer to the latter (I was interviewed by a man in a graphic-print t-shirt). I was looking at the shirt in question because -- well, I get kind of obsessed with particular pieces. Is it magical? Depends on your definition. It's ultra-subtle, easy to wear casually with chinos or jeans but adaptable for a blazer & tie or (as I mentioned) patch-pocket tweed suit.

I've only been able to "window"-shop for a long time & I wanted to treat myself. Is it an extravagance considering my actual clothing budget? Unquestionably. Would something from Uniqlo be "serviceable"? Depends on your definition. The magic is in the utopian vision: a vision of my life in which mad expensive euro casual isn't out of the question. Will I ultimately end up buying this? I don't know, probably not. But basics aren't good enough anymore, and neither is what I've been thinking of & describing as "disguise." It isn't that I want to stand out, but I'm also sick of t-shirts & sneakers, want to move beyond those. I've been beyond them, even though I crashed the first time -- but I want to rebuild. Faster. Stronger. Better. Gentlemen, we have the technology. Thanks for reading & helping out.

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what the ****

+1

It's not about basics, it's about buying a shirt that's not in the "treating yourself" category, quality might be good but so are a lot of things and that shirt is pretty generic.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I dig. Context is everything. Somebody said that & I believe it, so let me fill y'all in.
I'm not fresh off the boat, I've lurked here some, & read a suspect amount of style blogs since those became a thing. But even though I've lurked I haven't used a forum in a long time, so (sorry) I didn't introduce myself in the appropriate thread. As a younger student (25ish), I wore a tie almost every day & attempted my own versions classic menswear fits that, in retrospect, were pretty cartoonish &, though people praised me for them, ultimately unsuccessful. It was due to an unevenness -- for example, I got some wonderful m2m suits but wore em with uggo Jcrew button-ups from 2002. I can work well with color as a palette but when it came to the details of fit I was kind of clueless. When I realized how poorly it was going I started working instead on a casual disguise, culling my closet of things that I wished would work but simply did not, & trying to learn the basics before reinventing the wheel. I've had a hard year financially, graduating college, unemployed, broke & basement-dwelling. But a few weeks ago I got a job in a company that straddles the line between the financial sector & tech, with office attire falling somewhat closer to the latter (I was interviewed by a man in a graphic-print t-shirt). I was looking at the shirt in question because -- well, I get kind of obsessed with particular pieces. Is it magical? Depends on your definition. It's ultra-subtle, easy to wear casually with chinos or jeans but adaptable for a blazer & tie or (as I mentioned) patch-pocket tweed suit. I've only been able to "window"-shop for a long time & I wanted to treat myself. Is it an extravagance considering my actual clothing budget? Unquestionably. Would something from Uniqlo be "serviceable"? Depends on your definition. The magic is in the utopian vision: a vision of my life in which mad expensive euro casual isn't out of the question. Will I ultimately end up buying this? I don't know, probably not. But basics aren't good enough anymore, and neither is what I've been thinking of & describing as "disguise." It isn't that I want to stand out, but I'm also sick of t-shirts & sneakers, want to move beyond those. I've been beyond them, even though I crashed the first time -- but I want to rebuild. Faster. Stronger. Better. Gentlemen, we have the technology. Thanks for reading & helping out.
You've heard of wildfire? The Mad King was obsessed with it. He loved to watch people burn, the way their skin blackened and blistered and melted off their bones. He burned lords he didn't like. He burned Hands who disobeyed him. He burned anyone who was against him. Before long, half the country was against him. Aerys saw traitors everywhere. So he had his pyromancer place caches of wildfire all over the city. beneath the Sept of Baelor and the slums of Flea Bottom. Under houses, stables, taverns. Even beneath the Red Keep itself. Finally, the day of reckoning came. Robert Baratheon marched on the capital after his victory at the Trident. But my father arrived first with the whole Lannister army at his back, promising to defend the city against the rebels. I knew my father better than that. He's never been one to pick the losing side. I told the Mad King as much. I urged him to surrender peacefully. But the king didn't listen to me. He didn't listen to Varys who tried to warn him. But he did listen to Grand Maester Pycelle, that grey, sunken ****. "You can trust the Lannisters," he said. "The Lannisters have always been true friends of the crown." So we opened the gates and my father sacked the city. Once again, I came to the king, begging him to surrender. He told me to... bring him my father's head. Then he... turned to his pyromancer. "Burn them all," he said. "Burn them in their homes. Burn them in their beds." Tell me, if your precious Renly commanded you to kill your own father and stand by while thousands of men, women, and children burned alive, would you have done it? Would you have kept your oath then? First, I killed the pyromancer. And then when the king turned to flee, I drove my sword into his back. "Burn them all," he kept saying. "Burn them all." I don't think he expected to die. He- he meant to... burn with the rest of us and rise again, reborn as a dragon to turn his enemies to ash. I **** his throat to make sure that didn't happen. That's where Ned Stark found me.

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

he should write for four-pins

haha. easily one of the worst editorial "voices" on the internet. if they're going to go that route they should hire tcwalter or someone who can pull it off and actually be funny. no, seriously, if you're reading this, Four Pins, hire tcwalter.

Last edited:

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is it "about"?

Buying something that's actually worth spending your money on. That shirt is very generic, it's not just about the brand. It might be good quality but you can buying similar at almost any shirt shop or a cheaper alternative like stores listed. Uniqlo, club Monaco, banana republic, etc. Honestly there's nothing about the shirt besides probably quality that makes it seem like "treating yourself"

pelicanese

Reaction score
I'm having trouble figuring out if we're having a discussion about the pros and cons of (over?)spending on a budget, or relative strengths/weaknesses of the item itself. I respected & replied honestly (& in great detail) to hoodyear's critique because I found it absolutely on-point, but just as equally as he doesn't know what my style is like, I don't know your version of "something worth spending your money on."

It might come down to a difference in philosophies: you call the shirt generic, I call it subtle. My idea of luxury may occasionally run into the category of expensive, an issue I assume rarely encountered on this forum, but it isn't loud.

With that said, if I found a similarly detailed & subtle shirt at a lower price I would buy it. Quality is good to pay for but I also like to eat. I've checked all the retailers you've mentioned (and many more besides) & found nothing. Also, a forum regular saw my initial post & PMed me some suggestions, which was incredibly cool but I didn't find them to have the same charm of the item in question.

barrettdudley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.fransboonestore.com/new-arrivals/finamore-x-frans-boone-pindot-chambray-shirt

This is some baller ****, but I hesitate because I've been rockin super casual fits lately -- on some cardinal sin ****, like cheap t-shirts & am-ap hoodies, which has been difficult to transition out of, because I live in a basement & don't leave it often.
I want to rock it with: olive army jacket in the spring, white jeans in summer, plum merino sweater for autumn, & brown tweed for winter.
Time for a crowd-source: have y'all heard of this brand? is it worth 181 euros? any opinions?

I love the color and pattern. Pin dots are hot right now. How do you think it will fit you? Do you own shirts from this brand? I wouldn't call this shirt versatile though because of the spread collar. I can't picture wearing this shirt without a tie, and that would be my biggest issue.

Side-note: I don't know why so many people seem to be getting butthurt about you spending over $200 on a shirt because maybe it's not within your budget or "worth it" or whatever. Since when was fashion and style about being practical? Most of the stuff we all buy and love is overpriced and we all know it. None of us are on this forum for a lesson in fiscal responsibility. We're here because we love clothes. It's your money man, buy what you want.

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't currently own any drop crotch pants but I want to get a pair. I think they work well when the drop isn't too large. For that reason, I was considering the following.

If anyone has other suggestions on either drop crotch or cropped pants in the $350 and below range, I'm open to those as well.

Last edited:

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't currently own any drop crotch pants but I want to get a pair. I think they work well when the drop isn't too large. For that reason, I was considering the following.
If anyone has other suggestions on either drop crotch or cropped pants in the $350 and below range, I'm open to those as well.
Nice, what are they?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads