1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

unlined gloves sound absolutely terrible, but if you must pick, chamois gets my vote

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  2. baltimoron

baltimoron Senior member

Feel like you won't get much wear with unlined gloves, especially as we get into December and it starts getting to the real cold temps.

3. sipang

sipang Senior member

Lined gloves absolutely suck unless it's fur. I'd take well fitting unlined leather over cashmere/wool/silk lined any day.

Also carpincho.

4. baltimoron

baltimoron Senior member

My go tos are a pair of rabbit fur lined ones that I picked up from Greg. Hell yes on fur.

5. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

What's amazing about that is the average salary (taking your number) is quite high, but maybe, what, 2x the national average? But the housing prices are maybe 5x or more the average. Just spit balling those numbers, but point being that there are a lot of places where housing prices seem to be substantially decoupled from incomes. And that's just the purchase price. You can bet it's not cheap to make repairs either. I suppose Calif. has the whole Prop 13 thing going so that the property taxes maybe aren't that bad? I don't know how well that holds for new construction or when properties change hands. I can say our property taxes here in the Land of Lincoln are plenty high. Of course, the state has not had a budget for going on two years, too... :facepalm:

But I digress substantially.

I'm not going to **listen** to them...

They're actually pretty nice when they fit well.

True enough. I have lined gloves, so this is more just a whimsy. I guess I could wait until next year. That's a sound financial choice.

I have to try fur. Haven't yet. Wool fleece is nice.

I'm sort of inclined to the chamois because I like the color and it's a little different it seems to me.

I'll think on it, and probably move on to something else I need to buy.

6. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

@FrankCowperwood Prop 13 was for people who bought their house prior to a certain year which I believe was in the early 80s so that they would not pay more than 1% of the value they paid.

It sucks with the inflated housing prices in the Bay Area if you're not protected by prop 13 you will pay tax on the assessed value of the house. My parents bought their house in 1995 for around $750k. Now the value is assessed at around $3 million. In these 20+ years their property tax has increased to $28k a year, this price also includes some city bonds to fund schools. My parents retired in the early 2000s and have been living off savings, stock investments, and 401k but will probably have to sell their place soon because property tax is too damn expensive.

Right now property tax for my area is around 1.1 or 1.2%.

7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Santa Clara County checking in here :embar:

At the end of the day, the bay area is still a pretty awesome place and worth the price of admission/lack of certain other freedoms (for me).

8. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

WTF 28k a year in taxes for owning a home?

9. MickeyPunch

And here's me planning to save until I can pay for a house upfront.

10. FrankCowperwood

Wow, yes. That's completely untenable in my opinion. I can see eventually getting property tax priced out of where we live now as well. Tax rate is around 2% around here.

It's seems to be assumed that there will be substantial financing to buy a house. Only way the pricing works IMO. Unless you can earn/save a lot in a higher income area and then are willing to purchase where the cost of housing/living is lower. And those property taxes are never going away, only going up.

OK. I'm giving myself agita and I'm completely off thread... :)

11. MickeyPunch

That's exactly what I'm doing.

Edit: just realized this is not the RFT thread.

1 person likes this.
  12. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

@FrankCowperwood i have a pair of unlined carpincho gloves (at least, they look just like carpincho. i can't find any indications that they are or aren't.) though I love how they've aged since I got them 5 years ago, they are not warm enough for serious weather. i guess there's room in life for gloves worn only above freezing though.

13. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

Yea $28k a year is fucking ridiculous. That's the price of a car.

@cyc wid it I didn't know you lived in Santa Clara County, thought you were in SF. I live by the stadium.

14. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

A lot of my friends are in SF (and a few in the East Bay), but I grew up/work/live down here. Work in Mountain View, live at the SJ/Cupertino/Saratoga border.

15. oulipien

oulipien Senior member

"Work in Mountain View" is the new "went to school in Boston".

1 person likes this.
  16. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Not where you think. At least not currently :eek:

17. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Huh? Prop 13 applies to all houses in the state. You pay on the value of the house at the time of purchase, and it increases a fixed amount (well less than actual inflation - limited to 2%) every year. The only reason your parent's house could have been re-assessed is if they did a major remodel. In that case the assessment is increased by the value of the improvements, as indicated by the building permits.

18. FrankCowperwood

It's "near" Boston. Isn't it?

19. oulipien

oulipien Senior member

The relevant school is merely near Boston but I think I've always heard the mock-modest report with "in". Either way, I suppose.

1 person likes this.
  20. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Anyway, in the spirit of the thread... Geller garment dyed bomber is still available for a stupid good price. :foo: