1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

VERY small difference, I know. That might be the reason its being so hard for me to decide between the two...

[​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

Thoughts?

2. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

left

6 people like this.
  3. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

German Deutschleder jacket? Superthick cotton that hopefully will soften up. Would of course exchange the buttons to black.

No real need, but it could be cool.

[​IMG]

4. sepp

sepp Senior member

@hoodog

Prefer the top one with black hems personally. The grey one kinda got lost in the myriad of colors there.

1 person likes this.
  5. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

So...not to harp on this, but what makes the jacket unsuited to what I wear (or what I wear unsuited to the jacket)?

I'm not saying it's not a valid perspective, just that I'm a perpetual noob and don't understand. :embar:

6. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

That was actually my first impressions as well. The darker hems kind of "frames" the pattern - holds it together. But the hems are not black - they are called "peat" which is a mix of mainly charcoal and dark brown.

7. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

I feel like your body type and features are so distinct (angular is the word that comes to mind) that you could do yourself a favor by exploring how to shape your wardrobe around those qualities. Is that something you're cognizant of and have you ever looked into what kind of clothes are typically flattering for someone built like you? I get the feeling that this piece is one to avoid, particularly with the collar up. To be blunt, it accentuates how pointy your ears are, which is just a microcosm of how pointy your overall shape is. That's not a negative thing. You have a great frame and look. I just think you can do better by gravitating towards a little bit different style than sometimes you are drawn to (I've had this thought before on some of your fits.)

8. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

That's interesting and potentially very helpful. I have literally never taken into account the pointiness of my ears when making wardrobe choices. :laugh:

I've actually been gravitating slightly away from wearing only stuff that's flattering for my build (all slim errything), wearing looser jeans, sizing up on tees, and not worrying if my shirt or jacket is on the boxier side. I'm slightly hesitant to go backwards (partially because I'm pretty sure I'm slowly getting older and fatter), and I'm not really sure where to go from here, although I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

9. SwaggyP91

SwaggyP91 New Member

RepresentCo. makes most of their stuff to be elongated. Not as long as a dress, but not as short as a reg fit t-shirt. I have a few pieces from them, and I bought a Large in all, except a bomber jacket. I take an XL in most shirts and jackets, but the Larges fit me great in their T's. I will try to post a pic for reference, once I am off work.

10. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

The ears are probably only obvious to me because of that photo. I hope I didn't make you self-conscious about that. I've never noticed your ears before! I just think they are indicative of your overall structure. You are not a curvy dude. That's not a bad thing, certainly. It's a little difficult to talk about how to dress for your body type without being blunt, so forgive me. On that note, since you asked...

I would not dress for your body type in terms of height and width like most people. I think your posture is the dominant characteristic. You stand really upright and strong, and I'm sure it's very healthy but can look a little rigid when you accentuate it with items like a collar that stands upright like the one on that coat. I would explore breaking up the tension in your frame. I'm not sure how best to do that, but some answers might be obvious. I definitely like the loose fitting, voluminous choices you're talking about. Most of all, do not take my word as an expert because I'm just throwing my opinion out there and I have never really looked into the different body types and how to flatter them.

The best thing you can do is just to be attentive to it. Try different things and instead of asking whether you like the item itself, ask whether you look more or less attractive than normal when you put it on, then examine the nature of the item and ask yourself why.

11. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^^ difficult advice, given how subjective and variable "attractive" is. What if he likes looking square and strong?` Its not impossible that alot of people think he looks good as is.

I would rather think about a specific look i´d like, and if my ears were fittingly angular, i´d view that as a side effect. I have a pretty angular body myself (although not as slim), but very rarely dress in any way to flatter my physic in a "show it off" way, because I just dont like how it looks, e.g., typically comes across as very self concious. So solely from that perspective I´d encourge Notwithit to wear loose fit and boxy clothes...

1 person likes this.
  12. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

It's not difficult at all, since I'm not telling him to dress in a way that other people think is attractive. He should make judgements based on exactly those subjective notions of his. That's what we mean by dressing for ourselves and not others. We are dressing in the way that we find most attractive, not the way that we think they will find most attractive. So if he thinks accentuating his upright nature is attractive, then he should get that coat. However, he is asking for advice on SF, so this implies that he wants opinions... In my opinion he should not be accentuating that quality if he wants to look more attractive. He is free to ignore me, like I said. But strength comes from other things than just being straight.

1 person likes this.
  13. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

No worries re: the ears. :laugh: No one's ever mentioned them before outside of girls complimenting me on them (this always confuses me but has for whatever reason happened on multiple occasions).

The question of whether an item makes me look more or less attractive is something I'm trying to get away from to some extent. Sure, I want everyone to want to bang me, but the solutions seem almost to...I don't know that easy is necessarily the right word...obvious, maybe? Slim jeans, tailored shirts, jackets with heavier waist suppression to emphasize the v-shape of my torso, maybe slightly sleeker shoes to make my feet look a hair less oversized. It's all well and good, but in a way it seems a bit vain to play so much to my strengths, if that makes any sense.

IDK, I was mostly trying to decide whether it's too cropped, and now @Synthese's comment has me questioning whether I understand how to style it.

1 person likes this.
  14. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

i've been silently hoping for nwi to go Full Darkness for a while, but he's chosen his style, and IMO the valstar jacket fits that style very nicely.

that said, never too late to go head-to-toe Daniel Andresen

[​IMG]

15. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Not to belabor the point, but just to clarify: I completely endorse dressing any way anyone chooses and I'm not saying that people should try and dress for their body type necessarily. I was just throwing some suggestions out there. But maybe I haven't been clear. I think you should NOT dress in all those ways you are talking about to emphasize your physique. I'm saying the opposite. Your posture in photos can seem a little rigid (I'm assuming here that you realize that you're a decent looking dude and aren't going to get self-conscious so I'm just going to be blunt as usual.) So dress in whatever way you please to make yourself look good, but if it were me I would be wearing clothes that inspired terms like loose, volume, motion, puffy, curves, etc. to break up the tension in your physique. That's my amateur opinion. And that's why I don't like that jacket on you with the collar up.

16. accordion

accordion Senior member

nwt you seem to have one of those blank slate figures aka tall and slim which could wear anything. Don't confine yourself, reach for the stars.

17. decumulate

decumulate Active Member

I just ordered this on a yoox whim. Wondering if I need another olive tweed, though by the measurements this seems like it would be more appropriate for casual wear (~28" long)... What do you think?

[​IMG]

I also ordered these Trickers over a brown...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  18. Blackmaged

Blackmaged Senior member

from FW14. did anyone get to try these on when they were in stores? seller claiming it's good for 8-8.5 (tagged sz40) but Yoox claims that it fits small...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  19. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Buy.

20. kashmir

kashmir Senior member