1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. noirwest

noirwest Senior member

lol the hell? They're both classic sunglasses designs and they both look fine on you. Just get the pair you like most and don't worry about it.

I feel that the fact you look vaguely like Justin Bieber is what is causing most of the ire here

5 people like this.
  2. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Keep the algae Bene and stop grabbing the down jacket when it gets cold

1 person likes this.
  3. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

wayfarers are my pick, but they're the most ubiquitous things ever. why not look into something like Retrosuperfuture or other 'wayfarers with a twist'?

4. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Or I can pick up some olive MMM jeans and the floral dot/solid colorblock shirt. :embar:

Door #3 is some Santiags or chain harness Wyatts :satisfied:

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  5. RXS09

RXS09 Senior member

6. redc2

redc2 Senior member

First and foremost before buying sunglasses, you should get some decent t-shirts.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  7. redc2

redc2 Senior member

Have to agree.

8. Rrd0084

Rrd0084 Member

I have no way of trying it on, and not sure how versatile it would be. I got a weird infatuation with shawl collar items.

[​IMG]

9. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

[​IMG]

It's a $250 plain grey cotton sweatshirt. But it has the crucial V stitch and its Geller that will fit me...
    I mean seriously I want it, I would wear it, it would fit a need (I never replaced my sunspel), but I could go buy a Velva Sheen and save $100+... But it's Geller. Prime example of being a brand whore?

10. msg

msg Senior member

It'll make you happier wearing it knowing that it's Geller, not Velveta Sheen. If you ever decide to sell, it'll hold more value than Vulva Sheen. Pay money for what you'll be excited to wear.

11. Qudi

Qudi Senior member

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  12. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

You can do a shirt underneath or a sweater or both. I would recommend the one for sale here on the forum. Notable difference in price and I think it's nicer, though perhaps tougher to pull off with some flannels as it's not going to be as versatile in that regard as the one for sale at Context.

13. artmannwayne

artmannwayne Member

Well, I don't want to sound negative, but considering this is suppose to be a Style forum, If I had to help a friend style this vest up, I started by pitching in trash. Such poor quality. But if. i must style it....I would pick up on the on one of the colors probable the blue. Since i am not afraid of pattern, I think I would go with a long sleeve dress shirt , blue and white stripe, as nice contrast to the casual vest, team it with some dark denim jeans and wing tip boots. Of course top it off with a pork pie or a great styled trilbly.

14. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Senior member

A lot of my own purchases are brand whore purchases so I don't think there is anything per se wrong with that however I do think 250 for a very plain cotton sweatshirt is a bit much. Too much, even with brand whoring reflected in the price.

15. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Senior member

Do you have personal experience with EG? The brand is a forum favourite so would be interested what you base that statement on.

16. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Well, the Geller does have i n t e r e s t i n g details in the seamed shoulders.
    At the same time there is nothing wrong with a Velva Sheen (they are pretty great). But I can rarely fit Geller and by all accounts that sweatshirt should be pretty perfect, if anything a little slouchy which is even better, so I kind of want to support the guy who is essentially my favorite designer on the rare occasions I can wear his clothes.

EDIT: So I guess I pretty much answered my question - I will buy.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  17. artmannwayne

artmannwayne Member

Actually I do not have any experience with this brand. However, I can clearly see in this picture there is not much thought or care that has gone into the garment and the fabric choices are extremely poor quality. Just like everyone else I base my statement on personal choices and my attraction to an article of clothing. i can not touch the garment so I can not judge it professional. When I was living in Texas I studied Fashion Design and have worked within the industry for over 20 years. After taking a 3 year break, I started back with designing and making mens hats plus I am currently designing a mens clothing collection for my store opening in Spring 2016.

18. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

19. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

So, "buy less, buy Geller?"

1 person likes this.
  20. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Pick up on the blue? The only blue on that vest is on the inside lining, so unless your'e hoping to somehow pick up on the inside of the hood or you're going to leave it unzipped and somehow try and pick up on it that way there is no blue to pick up on. On top of that the way you're styling it is pretty basic. I have no problem with that at all because you can still go basic and put together a great look, but considering your comments I guess I would have expected more.

I have both personal experience with EG (I have a few pieces) as well as with this vest which I actually tried on at Context last Fall. For me EG is overrated on this forum. The materials and some of the construction don't seem to warrant the price in most instances. For me what you're paying for is design. You're also paying for "Made in the USA" and hype, both of which should definitely be considered in terms of price, but for me those two aren't necessarily going to push me over the top when I buy something. Still I enjoy the pieces I have and wouldn't walk away from the brand, but I think when you factor everything in while considering value you can do better. I also think they use decent/good fabrics and the pieces are made well. I would not however go so far as to say they're extremely poor quality and nor would I say this vest is. Personally I think the vest at full price and to an extent even on sale is overpriced, but it's not a bad vest. I think you could have found similar alternatives out there last Fall that just didn't have the EG label on the inside, but you probably wouldn't find an exact match.

1 person likes this.