• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

jmaudi0

Reaction score
J Crew Ludlow sport coat in English Herringbone - on sale for approx. $220 after taxes.
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~93445/93445.jsp

is that a good deal? what is the general opinion of the Ludlow jackets? I am looking for a casual herringbone or tweed jacket...something that can get rumpled up and get that nice "lived in" look over time.

I would get a 36S. Hoping it fits similar to my Hugo Boss "the sweet" jacket.

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

J Crew Ludlow sport coat in English Herringbone - on sale for approx. $220 after taxes.  
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~93445/93445.jsp

is that a good deal? what is the general opinion of the Ludlow jackets?  I am looking for a casual herringbone or tweed jacket...something that can get rumpled up and get that nice "lived in" look over time.  

I would get a 36S.  Hoping it fits similar to my Hugo Boss "the sweet" jacket.  

got one of their herringbone jackets a couple years back and while the fit and aesthetic was great, it didn't hold up for ****--elbows were blown out after one season. opted to just wear as is sans elbow patches and I get even more compliments now than before #whoknewwomenlikedhomelessswag

thewho13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

(3)

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prt, would the shirt have half the appeal without the YSL label?

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, there isn't any obvious label to speak of, it could be from anywhere really. I guess having it 50% off tempts me a bit. I would never touch it at full retail. I think the texture makes it interesting. I usually wear my tees with blazers or cardigans so rather than having a plain t shirt i was thinking maybe something more textured might be interesting. Still, a lot of money for a t shirt though.

Hendrix, agreed that other than the texture/detail it's just an ordinary crew neck t shirt.

TWorksheets

Reaction score
Love the shape of these Momas but I don't like the looks of the sole material. Listed as 'rubber' on yoox, but I have a feeling its probably some kind of hard, spongy foam or something equally gross. Has anyone ordered Momas with a similar looking sole?

Would cost me $25 to even try them out b/c of shipping there/back

jmaudi0

Reaction score
got one of their herringbone jackets a couple years back and while the fit and aesthetic was great, it didn't hold up for ****--elbows were blown out after one season. opted to just wear as is sans elbow patches and I get even more compliments now than before #whoknewwomenlikedhomelessswag
hm I've heard the opposite about how they hold up but thanks for your input!

can anyone else recommend a casual herringbone sport coat similar to what JCrew puts out?

ennui

Reaction score

Love the shape of these Momas but I don't like the looks of the sole material. Listed as 'rubber' on yoox, but I have a feeling its probably some kind of hard, spongy foam or something equally gross. Has anyone ordered Momas with a similar looking sole?
Would cost me $25 to even try them out b/c of shipping there/back

I have a pair of MOMAs from Yoox. They look good, but they're really heavy for their size. My sole is leather.

TWorksheets

Reaction score

I have a pair of MOMAs from Yoox. They look good, but they're really heavy for their size. My sole is leather.

Thanks

I've actually handled a couple pairs with the leather soles as well and they are fine by my standards, however I still don't like the looks of those thick 'rubber' layers...

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The YSL shirt is okay but dated. Obviously, SLP is the way to go now.

aphelan

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads