1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

That's crazy.

Agreed, I wouldn't pay close to retail for Acne.

2. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

WTF, Visvim has stuff made in China with those prices? Regardless of the quality of the items produced there, it doesn't feel right.

3. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

What if China had the best manufacturing capabilities for that particular piece? Likewise, what if the vision for a piece requires a synthetic material? Obviously, synthetics is usually cheaper than natural fabrics and manufacturing in China is usually cheaper than manufacturing domestically, but I think it's weird to just cast aside huge swaths of great clothes over such trivialities.

2 people like this.
  4. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

it's really racist to assume that all production coming from china is trash.

whiteprivilegesparklingpower~~

5. Classified_

Classified_ Senior member

Sorry I didn't mean to be racist in any way, it's just that I've read around in these forums many times that stuff coming from China are not to be treated as quality products. However I will admit that I don't know what manufacturing process goes into these items in China and I assume they are worth the price. I just want to avoid stuff like All Saints that are made in China and disappointed me a lot in the past few months.

6. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Apologies for the hirsh, but here's a fit pic of the WvG shorts in indigo. Really nice color. FWIW, it's an easy fix at the tailor if you want them hemmed a little shorter.

[​IMG]

7. MickeyPunch

Regarding synthetic vs. natural fabrics. I guess you bring up the topic because I said I was looking for a slim coat in natural fabrics, and I 'discarded' (not really, was out of stock anyway) a KKA (or Attachment, whatever), because it had 52% nylon on it.

I didn't even say it was inherently worse or anything. I said I prefer natural fabrics so it was one of my prerrequisites when looking for a coat and also when questioned I pointed out that it's rare to see synthetic fabrics in the more expensive winter coats (and pretty much any garment that doesn't need any 'special' feature such as waterproofing), whereas it's very difficult to find a 100% wool or wool/cashmere coat in cheap stores like H&M or Zara. I think this is a fact. But yes I'm aware that a fabric doesn't instantly become amazing just for having 100% natural fibres and than there's much more to a coat than just the fabric.

Now on the made in China topic. I just googled and it seems quite a bit of Visvim's footwear is made in China. I find hard to believe that with the really good shoemakers in places like Japan and Europe, they could only find workers in China to make their shoes. And Occam's razor would probably say that they're manufacturing there for the same reason as 99% of the companies producing clothing items in China: it's cheaper so margins are higher. You obviously might disagree, and I could very well be wrong.

In any case, each one is entitled to their own opinion and I just happen to think that I won't be buying crazy expensive stuff that is made in China nor stuff made in synthetic fabrics (or at least when I don't need any of the special characteristics of it), even if I miss out on great items.

8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

It's about QC and specifications, not country of production. Tons of baller knits are part or all synthetic.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  9. MickeyPunch

I'm sure of it, see above. I just don't like synthetics. :)

10. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

One of Visvim's points of differentiation is the hand-made nature of their items. Nakamura's reasoning for shoe production in China is that there are still manufacturers/ capabilities for a handsewn Goodyear welt. He claims that no one is left in Japan to do that. Take it for what it is worth.

But I do not have an issue with China production whatsoever for reasons of manufacturing process and even margin enhancements if it meets quality standards - like anything else produced at any other location. Last time I checked the parts in my (High-end) cars/ kitchens/ computers/ etc. they all where just fine.

11. Classified_

Classified_ Senior member

You have a very similar body structure to mine and that is a great fit I must admit. Will definitely consider them, thank you.

12. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

barker boots, thoughts?

[​IMG]

13. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

No? I brought it up because you brought it up? I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of your posting history.

14. MickeyPunch

Well, since my post about China was unrelated to my previous posts about synthetic fabrics, and the post you quoted didn't say a word about fabrics but your reply did, I guess I assumed you thought they were somewhat related.

But whatever.

15. Hyperios

Hyperios Well-Known Member

I doubt that the "racist" statement was directed towards you since you were simply asking a question, nothing wrong with that.

On the whole discussion of chinese factories I recall reading(a while back..) that they have some of the best facilities in the world which are very much on par with the Japanese and Italian factories(for example) but they are underused due to the stigma associated with the 'made in China' label. For all I know that could have changed though.

To add into this, I believe another reason was that Nakamura wanted to keep close tabs on the production and make sure every detail is done just right and for whatever reason that would've been harder to do with the Japanese maunfacturies when he was starting up so he went to Korean and Chinese manufacturers.

16. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

[​IMG]

Buttero: Yay or Nay?

5 people like this.
  17. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

For that price? Yeah

1 person likes this.
  18. RXS09

RXS09 Senior member

Yep. Can't believe those are still sitting