1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

Unsurprising verdict from the resident shearling fetishist.

10 people like this.
  2. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

[​IMG]

Has a very faint black skull and crossbones on the back. Dunno if I could rock it, but man it's got some cool details

3. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Okay, but that jacket is fucking cool. I love the correct forearm zips, as well as the shearling placket and hood. Would be so f'in warm.

You guys, shearling is rad. keeps you comfortable in everything from 50's and sun (that's right, you don't overheat) to -10 (with a wool sweater underneath). Mine is my go-to cold weather jacket; I've worn it for 20+ hours of travel several times and it's miles more comfortable than cottons - doesn't get gross and sweaty, keeps you comfy when you've got that jet-lagged, wildly-swinging body temperature. Like wearing a pillow. Well, more like wearing a rug. Sheep are seriously magical creatures.

From what I've gathered, the Cabourn version has a longer body length than the original Irvin makes (nb: I am not a ww2 fetishist, but I think the original CC jackets had, like, inverse proportions to the NC version - ultra long sleeves and ultra cropped body), which means street clothes would actually work with it (as opposed to just shearling flight pants).

Also, here is a picture of the same model wearing what appears to be a size larger than he is in the shot you posted:

[​IMG]

That's the fit I'd want on it.

Here's an SF member photo and some discussion from the NC thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/209255/nigel-cabourn/1700_100#post_5735021

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  4. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Senior member

I guess I'm lame because I really like everything on the jacket except that orange hood :/

1 person likes this.
  5. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Shearling is cool

It is however also $$$ [​IMG]

6. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

Y-3 jacket with a defect on the backside:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or a Wood Wood parka with tags still on?
    [​IMG]

Both are approximately the same price and while I really like the look of the Y-3 the small tear just bothers me. Any thoughts on this?

7. AChip

AChip New Member

Thorogood Moc Toe or Chippewa Apache? I need some ok quality boot for winter. Which one would be better quality?

8. Jbravo

Jbravo Senior member

Landscape, Y3! That tear could be fixed by a tailor I'm sure.

9. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior member

Orange painted hood is the thing I don't like about it. But it does look like a very serious jacket that laughs at the winter cold.

10. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

Even given the material you think it could be fixed without damaging the jacket?

11. Jbravo

Jbravo Senior member

It is already damaged. A good tailor can hide that damage applying a stitch on top of it.

12. tahonng

tahonng Senior member

The orange is actually a nod to the original painted hood on the jacket it draws inspiration from. Originally it's a really bright yellow, so that it'd be easier to spot it when the wearer was lost at sea (or elsewhere). This one's an overpainting, and it's supposed to peel off pretty easily, to give it a distressed look.
    So you think a size up would work for someone with slim jeans and even skinnier legs? That's part of what I'm debating with. Until I see it on, it's such a gamble. I don't wear loose jeans.

13. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I like the orange hood but the short arms/long body is a deal breaker to me with that type of jacket.

14. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

Ah, yeah. But as long as it's fixable in a way that makes it barely noticeable and it doesn't get worse I think I might jump on it. Can't afford a new one right now.

15. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

That orange hood is dope, and keep in mind it'll be worn down most of the time and not as noticeable. Plus if you get lost in a snowstorm, Synth with his Cloak shearling and Shiba rescue dogs will be able to locate you ASAP. I think the Tres Bien model dude has ridiculously long arms as well (I wish more clothing stores would use models under six feet but that's another story..), so it's probably throwing off proportions as well. I'd like a shearling long enough to cover a bit of my butt, keep me warm, yeah? That said, if you're rocking nothing but skinny jeans I'd veer away from that jacket as it'll look a bit ridiculous with chicken legs poking out from beneath a behemoth of pure sheep-based warmth.

4 people like this.
  16. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior member

If he's out in the streets wearing it during Thanksgiving he might get shot mistakenly for a turkey. :rotflmao:

1 person likes this.
  17. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

18. Pangolin

Pangolin Senior member

Neither, get the grey version from NMWA.

19. ShoutOutsFoMyBo

ShoutOutsFoMyBo Senior member

[​IMG]
    our legacy, not sure about the color or how much they look like pijamas

1 person likes this.
  20. wzjradam

wzjradam Senior member

#2 The color on what looks like moleskin looks amazing.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014