• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking shoes, shah. I especially like the brown pair. It's funny to see MOMA grow in popularity when they were the shoes I wore when I first joined SF. (granted, they were split toe chukkas, but still)

Dramatic alterations rarely work out, in my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience. It's like trying to have the shoulders taken in on a blazer; you can do it, but you probably shouldn't.

I decided to say what the hell and go for it. Rather than think about what else I can/should buy, I'm going to focus on making the things I own enjoyable. It's an unstructured linen jacket, and I really just wanted the sleeves shortened at the shoulder. Then, the tailor started talking about mostly disassembling the jacket, and then have me come in for a fitting before reassembling it. She's altered a few pairs of trousers for me, and I've been happy with them. So, I'm fairly confident...

Last edited:

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it more of a should I keep or not, shah?
Keep them both :devil:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Is it more of a should I keep or not, shah?
Keep them both :devil:

reversenabling alert ! post has been reported.

i am leaning toward the browns, i think the smooth leather is much nicer.

quality of leather isn't fantastic but of couse you get what you pay for -- moma is probably a good entry into the bulbous realm. but they are surprisingly comfortable
:satisfied:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought about mine, but you all shamed me into donating them to the local thrift store. :angry:

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What? We did no such thing..did we?

I like the brown, even with they eyelets. The leather shines nice off the beautiful bulbous toe :D

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mr Shah, while not personally a fan of "the bulb toe" I can see how they go well with le chemineau chic. I lean toward black just because I think it will go with more stuff.

zissou, I've recently had a few things altered (fairly complicated stuff) and can't say how happy I am now. Funny how just a centimeter here or there can make a huge difference... from a jacket that just hung lonely in the closet to one I now can't wait to wear.

:nodding:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great to hear, Parker. The jacket is very nice, but really unwearable with sleeves that were two inches too long. I thought the shoulders were fine until she started pinning them a little narrower. I'll definitely post a photo after it's done.

I'm realizing, finally, that I have enough nice clothes to last about a decade at least (save for the occasional new shirt and socks/underwear), so I'm just trying to enjoy what I have more.

snowman- yes, but they weren't actually that great anyway :embar:

Last edited:

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the color and cut on these... If so, what footwear should I wear with them??

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wuddup reedo

Ahhhhh see you've joined the MOMA club. Glad to have enabled your entry!

Those will mesh really well with your style I think, I'd suggest keeping both pairs, considering the price.

thewho13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last thing that I want to add is a decent sweater. Thoughts on this one from Roberto Collina?

I was also considering getting it in yellow instead...

And here's how it was styled:

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
robert collina knits are the new ckc hidden placket shirts which were the new moma shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads