1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Senior member

That plasticky corrected grain leather looks terrible to me. Shoes like that have a usable life of approximately one curb scuff. I think the shoes would go well with sharp shiny suits, of which I own exactly zero. Good price on a not-so-good shoe, whatever that means

2 people like this.
  2. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

are jil shoes still made by church's?

3. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

Hmmm derby is too dressy and I always think a man should stop wearing vans after graduating from college.

4. vcrash

vcrash Well-Known Member

Not going to lie, those moccasins look just as college-y to me as vans do.

but I'm a college student and own like five pairs of vans

5. futuresailors

futuresailors Senior member

I thought it was just that one line that was done by Church's, while the mainline is some Italian maker.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

danzig, if you're all up on that heritage stuff, any open-laced shoe in cordovan or some sort of burgundy/walnutty brown leather would be a muuch better casual shoe than the mocs you posted.

my brown shoe knowledge isn't up to par, though. black derbies all day erryday

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

What're your black derbies of choice?

8. Bam!ChairDance

I cycle between Mr. Hares, Momas, and Paul Smiths, with the PS being my favorite. Sadly he doesn't seem to make that model (the 'minelli') anymore :-/

1 person likes this.
  9. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

^I am also contemplating between derbies, Vans, or leather loafer/slipper via CL

10. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

vans are like 50-60 dollars though :eek:
    the decision should be between derbies and slip ons and cop vans on the side :)

2 people like this.
  11. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Senior member

how do you like the mr hares?

12. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I have a pair, they are sorta nice but the leather lining became detached already after one wear. The construction doesn't compare to something like Raf that is welted, and is probably a little worse than Margiela - but they're also cheaper.

13. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

but i can get a pair of leather black van slip on and buy a bunch of baller outerwear, knitwear like @synthese, @sipang, @the shah, and @parker (off the top of my head...)

14. brightorangetrousers

brightorangetrousers Senior member

My Mr Hare boots are nicer than my Margielas. Probably depends on model, though.

15. Bam!ChairDance

I like my Hares. Got the pebble grain 'London' derbies from Yoox last year for $250. The leather is soft and reasonably thick and, aside from the dainite sole separating slightly from the leather 'mid layer' at the toe, they're quite sturdy.

Also, this season's 'Bernard' derbies look sweet.

1 person likes this.
  16. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Senior member

Individual sentiments gloved blazer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fit pic in black colorway

[​IMG]

I'm leaning toward the grey-brown version, to get some other shades in my mostly black wardrobe. I'm thinking worn with a lightish tee, grey pants, black/grey boots. Is the brown too funky? should I just go with the black?

3 people like this.
  17. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

i don't know... gloved things always look nice, but they seem so impractical for all intents and purposes.

1 person likes this.
  18. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Senior member

From what I've read/heard from people who own it, the "hand" part of the opening is wide enough to slip your arm through and just push the glove lining up over your wrist so it doesn't show, or it will look like a t shirt sleeve. And if it starts to get annoying, I can just cut it off. It's not like I haven't got fingerless gloves of my own :D

19. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

do you mean stuff like these?
    [​IMG]

as I said i don't want something too dressy. basically I want a continuation from boat shoes, something very casual and can be worn without socks. I guess my choices aren't many huh?

20. Bam!ChairDance

I mean, if you're looking specifically for boat shoes, then yeah, go for boat shoes

But if you're looking for a good casual shoe, there are much better options. The bluchers you posted above seem to be cordovan, which plenty of folks wear in casual situations, but if the shinyness puts you off, you could go for something like pebble grain or just a larger-grained calfskin for a more rugged look