• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Miran you're way too stately to be wearing jeans. That garbage is for the working class, those who can't afford proper sound systems or decent drywall.

I haven't tried them myself, but they're apparently similar to APC, which is pretty similar to Dior. The denim's probably on par with DH, not sure about the fit.

candrew

Reaction score
Like the color, want something I can wear at work and not at work
xd0uL.jpg

Where can I buy these?
nod[1].gif

Maegnus

Reaction score
Currently I don't own a pair of suede oxfords. Would these be too warm for summer time as opposed to the tan brogues?

If you don't own any suede oxfords, then I think they'd be a smart choice. I'm assuming you own brown brogues; if not, you may want to get those, as they are definitely one of the first staple pairs of shoes you should own.

Again, both are great options. As long as you go sockless, I see nothing wrong with suede in summer. Might be a little hot, but not much worse than a leather brogue. It's a great look with shorts IMO.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Miran you're way too stately to be wearing jeans.  That garbage is for the working class, those who can't afford proper sound systems or decent drywall.

I haven't tried them myself, but they're apparently similar to APC, which is pretty similar to Dior.  The denim's probably on par with DH, not sure about the fit.

3Sixteen is way nicer than APC

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson 257 Otter Green vs. Casual Porter bag
70257-main-341.jpg

tumblr_m2frj2g6Jm1qb0bszo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2frjtN75F1qb0bszo1_500.jpg

Main uses for next two years would be for teaching so pretty casual, after that would be consulting or banking / funds. Both bags could possibly work depending on culture of company in future but that's not that big a factor.

Filson pros:
Classic design
Canvas / leather ages well
Have other otter green Filson stuff, happy with it
Pretty much perfect size

Cons:
Super heavy given the size
Not as much organization options as Porter

Porter pros:
Front pocket organizers are nice
Black is understated which I like
Much lighter weight and just a tiny bit smaller than Filson

Cons:
No specific laptop sleeve
Nylon doesn't age that well
$100 more than Filson (although not a deciding factor)
Front pockets design is not as good

Really curious to see which one people like better. Normally wear darker denim or left field duck canvas or chinos with quoddy mocs or Alden boots. Shirts mostly standard buttondowns by Gitman / Thom Browne so I feel both bags would be fine with my daily wear? Would probably wear less denim when teaching but other than that stay the same

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do they have a full size run?

i forgot my redwing size lol :laugh:

this might persuade you :satisfied:

Last edited:

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

70257-main-341.jpg

Main uses for next two years would be for teaching so pretty casual, after that would be consulting or banking / funds. Both bags could possibly work depending on culture of company in future but that's not that big a factor.
Filson pros:
Classic design
Pretty much perfect size
Cons:
Porter pros:
Cons:
Really curious to see which one people like better. Normally wear darker denim or left field duck canvas or chinos with quoddy mocs or Alden boots. Shirts mostly standard buttondowns by Gitman / Thom Browne so I feel both bags would be fine with my daily wear? Would probably wear less denim when teaching but other than that stay the same

Personally, I would prefer the Porter bag, but given what you wear, I'd go with the Filson bag. Construction will be better, too. It's a shame about the weight, though. Still, Porter overall seems overpriced to me in general.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
70257-main-341.jpg

Filson pros:
Classic design
Pretty much perfect size
Cons:
Porter pros:
Cons:

Don't think either is appropriate for i-banking. Consulting maybe...

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads