Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Get a ToJ leather, collared moto but in regular brown or black. If you are already self conscious about wearing a leather jacket, I think something more basic/versatile in color is your best choice.

2. Desi

Desi Senior member

If you are worried about coming off chubby wearing a down-jacket just replace that idea with a winter weight peacoat instead.

3. 89andy

89andy Senior member

4. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

If you are worried about coming off chubby wearing a down-jacket just replace that idea with a winter weight peacoat instead.

meh. I hate peacoats and I'm trying to avoid buying shit that everyone walks around campus in (boat shoes, peacoats, salmon shorts, etc.)

5. vaalbara

vaalbara Senior member

meh. I hate peacoats and I'm trying to avoid buying shit that everyone walks around campus in (boat shoes, peacoats, salmon shorts, etc.)
    you go to hopkins dude, it can't be helped. <- umd student kop a whiskey peacoat like me, then you know there'll only be one other person in your state wearing something like it! [​IMG]

6. spreadcollar

spreadcollar Senior member

Gilt isn't *too* bad, comparatively, in terms of pinning and deconstructing items. It takes more effort to do this when a site has modeled front/side/back shots of everything. However, Gilt definitely use some tricks. For example, if sleeves are very short on the models, they almost always roll the sleeve. They sometimes pin shirts. If the pants fit bad/strange in the thigh, the model will have hands in pockets. The sizes/model dimensions listed are not always right.
    Anyone have any idea whether Gilt does this as well? I always try to gauge my sizing off of what the pieces look like on the models - since I'm pretty much built like a scrawny version of most of them - but there have been a couple of times where it hasn't worked out (ok, most of the time it hasn't worked out).

7. pteroaltum

pteroaltum Active Member

Is this too sexy? That generous neck line is both appealing and uncomfortable. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

If by &quot;too sexy&quot; you mean &quot;a women's shirt&quot; then yes.

9. pteroaltum

pteroaltum Active Member

If by "too sexy" you mean "a women's shirt" then yes.
    It does give off a "douche" vibe doesn't it. [​IMG] I'm not gonna lie. I do want to give it a shot and see if I can pull it off. I wonder if the right attitude and layering can make it less "look at my pecs" and more "Oh, are my pecs showing? I hadn't noticed" vibes. Maybe I can get it in grey and pair it with an Odyn Vovk's blazer or anything long sleeved? This fellow has a low neck tee and paired with the right pieces, I didn't even notice the low neck line at all. In fact, the flash of skin prevents the ensemble from looking like blankets on top of other blankets. [​IMG]

10. Meis

Meis Senior member

ok, this is kind of a in the future should I/shouldn't I buy, but for the sake of mental masturbation, I figured I'll post this.

at some point, I want to pick up some new outerwear, as my current "collection" is pretty weak. right now I'm trying to decide between 3 options: toj collared moto in whiskey, toj baseball jacket in sand tan suede, or some true winter outerwear (maybe something cdw depending on sizing, probably something down).

pros of the leather: tougher, last longer, most versatile.
    cons of the leather: expensive, I may be self conscious about wearing it

pros of the baseball jacket: fits my intended aesthetic (preppy americana - similar to what tween and scott do.) the best, cheaper than leather jacket
    cons: can't wear in the rain, probably not that warm, fit pics from people other than drew are honestly disappointing so far.

pros of a down jacket: warmest, probably the most practical, can be worn all winter long, during snow storms and the like
    cons: haven't really seen anything I like, current season stuff will probably be expensive. down might make my slightly chubby build look worse.

help me sf.

I'd say go for the leather, though I'd recommend the bomber for you. I wouldn't worry about it not being "true winter outerwear", I wore my TOJ whiskey calf bomber throughout the winter layered with a thick sweater and was warm enough (and I live in Chicago...). I like the idea of the baseball jacket, but the suede and the weight limit it's usefullness... and yeah, I've yet to see a good fit pic of it. Down jacket - yeah it's going to be damn hard to find one that has good styling and doesn't make you look super puffy.

11. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

Is this too sexy? That generous neck line is both appealing and uncomfortable.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

if it were looser it might look cool, tight and low-cut is kind of odd... none of this matters as the ass-flap is unforgivable.

12. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

[​IMG]
    Any experience w/ Dries Van Noten shoes? Need something like these and I like the color but they're not cheap.

13. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

Okay guys, it's that time again.... [​IMG]
    painted reverse calf black [​IMG] or reverse calf brown (I don't have any brown boots) [​IMG]

14. hurhur

hurhur Senior member

painted reverse black looks so much better. black &gt; brown imo. due to the fact that black matches almost everything. and I do find brown shoes hard to go with some colours of clothing(eg. olive green). then again, for versatility, kop brown.

15. DLester

DLester Senior member

eck get black; nice boots